Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2021, 06:56 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,657,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There’s also a huge problem with eligible elderly being unable to navigate the online systems. Some states not only require having a computer, navigating online and being fast refreshing the page over and over but being fast when slots appear (NJ requires swift entering of the Captcha phrase, which I have trouble with even at 58...if it takes you 2-3 tries, the appointment slot is gone) but to actually upload their insurance cards too.

Others who get appointments are in areas where the facilities are drive-through. Seniors who no longer drive are getting appointments but no way to get to them. These are people who normally use county transportation which can’t be used for vaccination sites because even with appointments the wait is hours long. One son in an article was planning to fly into his parents state just to drive them but seniors who are alone are just out of luck. One elderly woman I read about in one of the articles gave up her slot after waiting in a drive through for four hours, because she did not anticipate the length of the line and she had to go to the bathroom desperately.

Even Florida, which is packed with retirees, has a system that is almost impossible for those without computers to use.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun...outputType=amp
I helped an elderly neighbor navigate the website to secure a slot. I wasn't in person; we were on a telephone call and using Facetime so I could see her computer.

It was a PIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I will be driving my neighbor to get her shot because she is legally blind and had to give up her car.
Bless you.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:12 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Do you think the promised doubling of daily vaccination rates is realistic? They would have to double in my state (as the governor says they will) for everyone to be vaccinated by August.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:57 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
From what I have read, signing up for a vaccine has been a fiasco in some states even for computer savvy baby boomers. Finding and navigating the multiple sign up lists; trying to get into a queue for a 5 minute window at 8 am while watching the spinning icon wheel and repeated error messages to try again; redialing over and over or getting through but being put on hold for an hour time to be told there are no slots available; long lines for first come first serve mass vaccination clinics. It does seem that it is paying off as many of these people are finally getting appointments for their parents or older neighbors or themselves because they have been aggressive but it does not seem like a fair process, especially for the elderly if they do not have an advocate.

My state’s central vaccine registration system with random selection of eligible persons similar to a lottery is less frustrating and fairer except that you are just stuck waiting for that text message or email that you have been selected. I registered the second day but found there was no advantage to signing up early. My state also has a long history of nepotism and cronyism that makes me a little distrustful whether selections are truly random.

The state is working to make the registration system easier for those that need extra support. The registration profile now allows you to identify whether you have a mobility challenge or are homebound and the state is rolling out in home vaccinations for the homebound or offering vaccinations to drivers accompanying individuals unable to drive.
Home vaccinations for the disabled and elderly are a great idea!

Old 02-03-2021, 11:06 AM

8,775 posts, read 5,068,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer21 View Post
I will not be getting the vaccine. I do not want to be a guinea pig. I believe I had covid 19 in April. I had bad headaches, was extremely tired, breathing was deep for 3 days or so and I thought it was a bad case of the flu. I bought stronger OTC meds and it tapered off.
OK...DR Singer

Old 02-03-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Do you think the promised doubling of daily vaccination rates is realistic? They would have to double in my state (as the governor says they will) for everyone to be vaccinated by August.
Yes, I think it is realistic. We should be getting pretty good the mechanics and logistics.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:46 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
The New York Times reports governments and the travel industry are seriously looking into developing vaccine passports, which would securely prove a person has been inoculated.

Denmark is expected to roll out vaccine passports in the next three to four months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/04/t...passports.html

Old 02-04-2021, 05:14 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
I imagine fake vaccine records will be close behind.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:39 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,436,379 times
Lately I've had several clinic appointments and I've noticed changes. Although the news tells me we are in the thick of it policies are changing to less restrictive. Confusing. The women who greet you at the door used to take your temperature, ask you if you'd been out of the country in the last thirty days and go through every single question on the questionnaire individually before they'd let you in. The last few times I've been none of these things were done. She just asked me how I was. I said I could answer no to all the questions and she let me in.

In my doctor's office was a sign that said to maintain a three-foot (rather than a six-foot) distance from others. This is Mayo clinic.

All these thing would indicate to me a lowered risk. So as I left I asked the greeter why the changes. Are things better? She said she didn't know she just does what they instruct her to do. And of course, in some appointments it is necessary to remove my mask. It all seems so arbitrary to me.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:45 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Lately I've had several clinic appointments and I've noticed changes. Although the news tells me we are in the thick of it policies are changing to less restrictive. Confusing. The women who greet you at the door used to take your temperature, ask you if you'd been out of the country in the last thirty days and go through every single question on the questionnaire individually before they'd let you in. The last few times I've been none of these things were done. She just asked me how I was. I said I could answer no to all the questions and she let me in.

In my doctor's office was a sign that said to maintain a three-foot (rather than a six-foot) distance from others. This is Mayo clinic.

All these thing would indicate to me a lowered risk. So as I left I asked the greeter why the changes. Are things better? She said she didn't know she just does what they instruct her to do. And of course, in some appointments it is necessary to remove my mask. It all seems so arbitrary to me.
The times I've been to the Mayo ER here in Arizona they've done the temp check and gone down the list of questions. Then about an hour after I was put in a room, they did a swab for the PCR test. First time I've ever had that done.

It seems strange they're not doing screenings when you go in, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement