Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2020, 11:00 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
After social distancing for 6 months I finally ventured out 2 days in a row to eat inside restaurants, which were not crowded; one place was almost empty at first. There was plenty of space between diners, >6 ft, more like 8 to 10ft or more.

I wore my mask and used ample amounts of hand sanitizer. The restaurants used disinfecting cleaners on everything, including the menus, every surface, handles of doors, I saw constant cleaning. They had big bottles of hand sanitizer at the entrance for anyone coming in.

It won't be a regular practice for me, will probably be weeks before I get to socialize with another human, but it felt great to have some sense of normalcy, and I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 meals.
I've gone out to breakfast twice myself in the past couple of weeks. It was to the same restaurant and I sat outside on their back deck.

They switched over to paper menus and asked if I wanted regular silverware or disposable ones.
I felt quite safe there as it was also quite empty and I was the only one outside eating.

Both times I checked the number of cars in the parking lot before deciding to go in.

And I agree with you in that it felt great and I also thoroughly enjoyed my meals, as simple as they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 05:06 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,309,123 times
We're still being extremely cautious. Today is isolation day 188. As if I'm counting.

I'll go only for groceries or drive-through restaurant take out. That's it.

I've read so much about the long term disabilities that survivors must endure that I think the remainder of my life might not be worth living even if I survived this evil disease.

Our kids and grand kids miss us and we miss them but I insist that we hold out until a vaccine is available. Until then our visits are only Facetime visits.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
If grandkids and adult children live in the same town or city as grandparents or close-by, why not meetings in one's yard or house driveway or by one's patio - sitting outside - but on chairs which are 9 or 10 feet apart - (or 6 feet apart)? and wearing masks.

I know it is difficult to control kids in that setting - but isn't it still a possibility?

Old 09-21-2020, 05:31 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,309,123 times
Interesting article:

This theory might explain “Covid toes” and other mysteries of the disease

Bradykinin storms are the hottest new hypothesis for why Covid-19 can wreak havoc on the body.

https://www.vox.com/21445038/covid-1...cytokine-storm

Make sure you have adequate levels of vitamin D

"This fits with a part of the supercomputer analysis that suggested the virus activates genes that break down more vitamin D. Lo and behold, at the end of August, a clinical trial in Spain on vitamin D found that it significantly reduced the need for ICU treatment in Covid-19 patients."

Old 09-22-2020, 09:58 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times
In the news today: Pfizer plans initial statistical analysis of vaccine effectiveness data after the first 32 covid infections in their trial. They say they may have that by the end of this week. The vaccine would have to be highly effective to show significant effect with such a small number of infections, but since they announced they could have enough infections for the first data analysis by the end of this week, I think they already know most (or even all) infections so far are in trial participants who got placebo, and they are waiting for very few more infections (I would assume less than 5) for mathematical purposes.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:32 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Interesting article:

This theory might explain “Covid toes” and other mysteries of the disease

Bradykinin storms are the hottest new hypothesis for why Covid-19 can wreak havoc on the body.

https://www.vox.com/21445038/covid-1...cytokine-storm

Make sure you have adequate levels of vitamin D

"This fits with a part of the supercomputer analysis that suggested the virus activates genes that break down more vitamin D. Lo and behold, at the end of August, a clinical trial in Spain on vitamin D found that it significantly reduced the need for ICU treatment in Covid-19 patients."
Thank you for the link, it was a good in-depth article.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:24 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
There have been only 14-15 new cases in my county for the past 3 days. Most of the tourists are gone now.
Everyone seems to be accustomed to putting on masks when inside stores.

Starting to feel a bit better about going out to eat (outdoor dining only though).

Our spike here was from Memorial Day weekend right up to Labor Day weekend...the entire tourist season.

The schools in the county are also doing well..only 3 schools with less than 5 students testing positive.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:54 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
We have eaten out—mostly outdoor dining—but cases in our county have been creeping up and I am wary right now. DH will fetch meals from Panera and that has become a go to for us.

We have had family visits from people who are also being very careful. We’ve had people in our back yard, and we’ve been in one other’s back yard. But I trust these family members.

We do visit stores. We mask up, and employees and other customers are masked. I have noticed that some retailers do not reliably mask. From now on, if they don’t mask up, I am leaving, although DH would be embarrassed.

But I feel that lax practice of masking is probably the reason for our increasing number of cases.

I do feel sorry for retailers and restaurants. This situation is terrible for them. But I also note which establishments seem sincere in their health practices, and I want to support them.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

We have had family visits from people who are also being very careful.

We’ve had people in our back yard, and we’ve been in one other’s back yard. But I trust these family members.
When you say that you 'trust these family members', what are you saying in terms of Covid?

And does that mean you are maskless and closer than 6 feet away with the family members who visit you, and with other non-family people who visit you?

Last edited by matisse12; 09-24-2020 at 06:45 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 10:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
When you say that you 'trust these family members', what are you saying in terms of Covid?

And does that mean you are maskless and closer than 6 feet away with the family members who visit you, and with other non-family people who visit you?
It means that I know they are taking correct precautions.

I am sensing some judgment from you. DH and I are careful, and so are our family members. We wear masks and we distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement