Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 07:00 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thr daughter and her friends sound selfish. They aren't having the party for her mother, they're having it for themselves. I hope your friend stays away and remains safe. Some states are very backwards and they didn't get hit hard early on like we did in NYC CT and NJ. They were lucky. Hard to believe that they are still tempting fate and they don't care about anyone. After what I saw in March, April, I have very little patience with this kind of idiocy.
This woman's daughter LIVES RIGHT HERE IN NEW JERSEY and should know better. We're in a county that was whacked pretty hard, too. Unfortunately, even with all the death and full hospitals that surrounded us a few months ago, we still have people who think it's all fake.

The mother and daughter have a terrible relationship. Always at odds. The mother has a mouth on her as much as does the daughter, but geez, you know your mother has these genuine health issues. Don't call her ridiculous.

Actually, the funny part is that early in the year, pre-COVID, around January, another relative was visiting from out of state, and the daughter came to the mother's house to see this elderly cousin. At the end of the visit, my friend heard the cousin say to the daughter, "Well, I hope to be back in September! I assume you'll be having a party for your mother's 80th!"

Then she heard the daughter mumble something she couldn't quite make out, and the cousin said, "You didn't know your mother was going to be 80 this year?"

I was invited to dinner at the daughter's house for the mother's 75th birthday. The daughter owns a florist shop that also sells cards and gifts. The mother got neither flowers nor a card from her daughter. She did give her a balloon that said something about Grandmas. The mother only drinks red wine, while the daughter and husband drink vodka and beer. The only red wine at the dinner was the bottle I brought.

Think there are issues in this relationship that pre-date COVID? LOL.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:09 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
Same here in FL with a lot of comments that the pandemic will soon be over on 3 Nov.
It does strain belief that almost 190 thousand of our fellow Americans have died from this and still so many people think that it is some kind of hoax to influence the election. Sometimes it really shakes my faith in the ability of this country to keep going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 07:02 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
It does strain belief that almost 190 thousand of our fellow Americans have died from this and still so many people think that it is some kind of hoax to influence the election. Sometimes it really shakes my faith in the ability of this country to keep going.
"Sometimes..." You are an optimist, I think!

Old 09-02-2020, 06:27 AM

1,131 posts, read 387,386 times
Quote:
Although, the media has been known to have an agenda.....I recall back in May during the George Floyd protest coverage, I particularly paid attention to the immediate shift in coverage of some of the mainstream media's focus on the protests and there would be very little mention of the deaths from COVID - but once the protests in Minnesota died down, it was back to COVID.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:54 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
The other day I went to Staples and was somewhat shocked to see a customer with his mask dropped down around his neck. That's an indication of how few people in my hood refuse to wear a mask.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:42 PM

403 posts, read 240,545 times
In the news right now: CDC has asked that all states have facilities and procedures in place for general covid vaccination by Nov 1 (yes, that would be Nov 1 this year, two months from now).

At the same time, Fauci has just publicly pointed out that drug trials are normally always terminated early if an overwhelming evidence of drug effectiveness is obtained early, without apparent serious negative effects.

This leads me to believe that somebody somewhere must have decoded the data collected over the past month, and it is known to someone somewhere right now that the only vaccine trial participants who contracted covid in Aug are those who received placebo rather than the vaccine. I simply don't know what else could prompt CDC to require all the states to be ready to vaccinate in November, and it is also an interesting timing for Fauci's statement. I think one or all of the trials must have already yielded strong results, at least in terms of effectiveness (there is really no way to fully evaluate safety in such a short time).

Old 09-02-2020, 01:57 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybgrnle View Post
In the news right now: CDC has asked that all states have facilities and procedures in place for general covid vaccination by Nov 1 (yes, that would be Nov 1 this year, two months from now).

At the same time, Fauci has just publicly pointed out that drug trials are normally always terminated early if an overwhelming evidence of drug effectiveness is obtained early, without apparent serious negative effects.

This leads me to believe that somebody somewhere must have decoded the data collected over the past month, and it is known to someone somewhere right now that the only vaccine trial participants who contracted covid in Aug are those who received placebo rather than the vaccine. I simply don't know what else could prompt CDC to require all the states to be ready to vaccinate in November, and it is also an interesting timing for Fauci's statement. I think one or all of the trials must have already yielded strong results, at least in terms of effectiveness (there is really no way to fully evaluate safety in such a short time).
In many drug trials the participants and the clinicians administering the medications are blinded as to who is receiving drug and placebo. There is a monitor who is not, and the monitor can decide to halt the trial and unblind it if there is overwhelming evidence of benefit (or lack of benefit) of the drug.

The Astra Zenica and J&J COVID-19 vaccine trials are double blind like that, so it is conceivable that the trial could end early.

The Moderna trial is quadruple blind: participants, clinicians, the principal investigator, and the monitor. I am not sure how that one could end early unless other trials are doing so. It might be considered a protocol breach.

Some companies have already begun production, gambling on approval of their vaccines.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:30 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybgrnle View Post

Very interesting. Now let me see; what else is going to be happening around that time? Seems to me that there is going to be some other sort of big deal around then.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:44 PM

403 posts, read 240,545 times
Quote:
Very interesting. Now let me see; what else is going to be happening around that time? Seems to me that there is going to be some other sort of big deal around then.

I personally don't care. I have enough medical background to think that all of the vaccines they are trialing will likely be clinically effective, am willing to take the remote risk of the vaccine causing production of antibodies that could attack my own tissues (which should not happen considering that I am not an RNA virus myself, but cannot be known with absolute certainty), and I want the vaccine as soon as possible. I really couldn't care less what the political context is - if it helps push the vaccination earlier, from my point of view that's good. I don't use medical interventions based on what politicians endorse or not.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:02 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
The initial vaccinations will go to a select group. Are you a front line health care worker or a first responder? If not, you should consider volunteering to participate in one of the studies...

https://www.nap.edu/read/25914/chapter/4#57
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/me...08-Dooling.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement