Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 10:04 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times

Advertisements

Just called CVS about a non covid related thing and the recording says "We have no covid vaccine (so stop calling here). It's time to do a fresh start in this state starting at the top: You're fired - you're fired - you're fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 10:24 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I thought that was New Jersey, not Mass.
Probably more than one state doing it. Again I think they want to vaccinate those who may use the most hospital resources if they get sick. I understand why it seems offensive, however I don’t know that it’s any more offensive than obesity related illnesses getting you moved to the front of the line. What is the difference?

Old 01-19-2021, 10:40 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Probably more than one state doing it. Again I think they want to vaccinate those who may use the most hospital resources if they get sick. I understand why it seems offensive, however I don’t know that it’s any more offensive than obesity related illnesses getting you moved to the front of the line. What is the difference?
Obesity doesn't get you moved to the front of the line here. I had to do a screening online to get a vaccine appt. There were only four conditions that qualified you. They were heart disease, COPD, diabetes and chronic kidney disease.

I went from a BMI of 43 to BMI 30 last year so I wouldn't have qualified today if morbid obesity was a concern.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:52 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
While I can see the logic to wanting to get high risk people vaccinated, it doesn't feel fair. Yeh, just light up a cig and pretend to be a smoker or go on an ice cream eating binge and you go to the head of the line. Whereas. with age, it's beyond your control.

This is meant to be tongue in cheek, of course, but I think a lot of us are getting sick of waiting. Dh is 80 yrs old, had a stroke, and I'm reluctant to take him to his appointments due to COVID. He also needrs PT. But his first vaccination isn't until March 10th.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:55 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
This is not cool to use links intended for others. Here too, links meant for health care workers were being distributed. Literally thousands used them to sign up in at least two of our states' counties.

The counties caught on. Had to cancel the clinics and all the appointments. Then go through each appointment to reinstate the valid ones then contact those individuals. This drained manpower. In the interim the vaccine sat there unused - but hopefully not unfrozen.

New controls now in place to keep this from happening again.
People here are doing that too and they are using the county links to clinics which clearly state you have to be tier 1A but they clearly don't meet that criteria. Surprisingly they go to the clinic and no one questions their eligibility so they brag on facebook about how a healthy 40 year old just fooled the system and got vaccinated. All the while my husband who is 77 and has stage 4 kidney disease is told by his doctor that it will be "sometime in February" before he can be vaccinated.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:55 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
On a positive note it looks like cases have plateaued, and perhaps will continue to fall. /knock on wood
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-19-2021, 01:58 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
People here are doing that too and they are using the county links to clinics which clearly state you have to be tier 1A but they clearly don't meet that criteria. Surprisingly they go to the clinic and no one questions their eligibility so they brag on facebook about how a healthy 40 year old just fooled the system and got vaccinated. All the while my husband who is 77 and has stage 4 kidney disease is told by his doctor that it will be "sometime in February" before he can be vaccinated.
Have to admit the outright bragging surprises me - specifically that some are so open about it. You'd think they'd have the sense to keep quiet at least. Here ID will be required to prove age. Some states sound like a free-for-all.

I have family in Florida, some in their 60s with health conditions. They know people who are pleased as punch that they managed to grab appointments for family members and even friends who are flying in. For now at least they aren't so happy with those friends feeling they're gaming the system since Florida says they discourage the practice. Still that's not an outright violation - like passing around the links and in essence impersonating a HCR or pretending to be an age you're not.

Our state hasn't even tried to open up to co-morbid conditions since that would be so hard to police. It's on "the list" but further down after age 65 and up and many essential workers.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:12 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Have to admit the outright bragging surprises me - specifically that some are so open about it. You'd think they'd have the sense to keep quiet at least. Here ID will be required to prove age. Some states sound like a free-for-all.

I have family in Florida, some in their 60s with health conditions. They know people who are pleased as punch that they managed to grab appointments for family members and even friends who are flying in. For now at least they aren't so happy with those friends feeling they're gaming the system since Florida says they discourage the practice. Still that's not an outright violation - like passing around the links and in essence impersonating a HCR or pretending to be an age you're not.

Our state hasn't even tried to open up to co-morbid conditions since that would be so hard to police. It's on "the list" but further down after age 65 and up and many essential workers.
This is in Sacramento County and I think the health dept here is having a tough time. The County Administrator gave the covid money meant for the health dept to the Sheriff's Dept, so they are left underfunded and understaffed. I've spoken to people in other counties and they don't seem to be having these kinds of problems

Old 01-19-2021, 02:21 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I thought that was New Jersey, not Mass.
In Ma too.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:53 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
This is not cool to use links intended for others. Here too, links meant for health care workers were being distributed. Literally thousands used them to sign up in at least two of our states' counties.

The counties caught on. Had to cancel the clinics and all the appointments. Then go through each appointment to reinstate the valid ones then contact those individuals. This drained manpower. In the interim the vaccine sat there unused - but hopefully not unfrozen.

New controls now in place to keep this from happening again.
Well, it may not be cool, but I fit the criteria for category 1. I am 83 therefore 1A. Our Gov has warned hospitals about the exact practice they were doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement