Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 05:23 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

Getting back to those things we do not know about Jesus for a second, here's something I was unaware of.

First though, I need to point out that we actually know little to nothing about someone that lived over 2,000 years ago. That's obvious. So what I read today (below) is just what I read today. That's all it is, and that doesn't make it true, or false, or historically accurate or historically inaccurate or any of that.

I was reading an interview of the late Gene Wolfe, a science fiction/fantasy writer who was also an engineering guy w/ a strong Catholic upbringing and faith. He happened to say to the interviewer that he knew something about Jesus that few people realized. What he knew was that while Jesus was known to be a carpenter, there is no mention of anything he actually made in all of the Christian scriptures except for a whip, which he used to drive the money changers out of the Jewish temple while he was angrily overthrowing tables and stuff. One week later, Jesus was killed.

Who knew? The nuns who taught me catechism in Catholic school apparently glossed right over this.

Last edited by stephenMM; 01-19-2024 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 10:19 AM

994 posts, read 782,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Getting back to those things we do not know about Jesus for a second, here's something I was unaware of.

First though, I need to point out that we actually know little to nothing about someone that lived over 2,000 years ago. That's obvious. So what I read today (below) is just what I read today. That's all it is, and that doesn't make it true, or false, or historically accurate or historically inaccurate or any of that.

I was reading an interview of the late Gene Wolfe, a science fiction/fantasy writer who was also an engineering guy w/ a strong Catholic upbringing and faith. He happened to say to the interviewer that he knew something about Jesus that few people realized. What he knew was that while Jesus was known to be a carpenter, there is no mention of anything he actually made in all of the Christian scriptures except for a whip, which he used to drive the money changers out of the Jewish temple while he was angrily overthrowing tables and stuff. One week later, Jesus was killed.

Who knew? The nuns who taught me catechism in Catholic school apparently glossed right over this.
The family had a carpenters bench in the home. That is where he got most of his training. but eventually they opened a shop on the main road making yokes for the Oxen. There was a lot of traffic going through the town of Nazareth because it was a main route into Jerusalem.

Here is a lot of Great Info and stories, including how He became a boat builder.
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...nter&op=Search
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...yoke&op=Search

Old 01-20-2024, 12:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
The family had a carpenters bench in the home. That is where he got most of his training. but eventually they opened a shop on the main road making yokes for the Oxen. There was a lot of traffic going through the town of Nazareth because it was a main route into Jerusalem.

Here is a lot of Great Info and stories, including how He became a boat builder.
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...nter&op=Search
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...yoke&op=Search

the most important thing is to know confirmed facts about Jesus

and they are

he is not God
he is not son of God
he is one of the greatest Messenger of Allah
he was born by the soul of Allah
he does not have a father
he is the son of Mary
he was not crucified
he was not killed
he did not die yet
he ascended to heaven
he will return back to earth
he will stay for 40 years then will die
he will kill the antichrist
Allah gave him the Gospel
he spoke when he was infant
he did so many miracles
he was sent to the children of Israel only
he preached for the final Prophet Muhammad.

Old 01-20-2024, 12:57 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post

and they are

he is not God
he is not son of God
he is one of the greatest Messenger of Allah
he was born by the soul of Allah
he does not have a father
he is the son of Mary
he was not crucified
he was not killed
he did not die yet
he ascended to heaven
he will return back to earth
he will stay for 40 years then will die
he will kill the antichrist
Allah gave him the Gospel
he spoke when he was infant
he did so many miracles
he was sent to the children of Israel only
he preached for the final Prophet Muhammad.
This is Islam's self-promoting "sibling rivalry" nonsense motivated by jealousy of the success of Christianity descended from Isaac instead of Ishmael.

Old 01-20-2024, 05:10 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
God, Allah, supernatural Jesus, supernatural Muhammad, virgin birth, supernatural miracles, prophecies, "messengers" = all fiction, people.

How about, instead of arguing or worrying about Winnie the Pooh vs Darth Vader, we all work together to eradicate all global poverty and hunger, and go explore the stars together. Let's call a myth a myth, move on from all this dogma, and let our species thrive far into the future, one that's better and happier for all living beings.

You're all hilariously wrong, and your tales are stupid to people who have brains. Kiss and make up and let's be humans.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:51 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
the fiction is humans evolved from apes

Old 01-20-2024, 09:32 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
the fiction is humans evolved from apes
That's true, actually. We didn't evolve from apes. We are apes.

Humans evolved from ape-like earlier ancestors. We share a common ancestor with today's other great apes (chimps, bonobos, gorillas), that lived some time around 6-8 million years ago.

There is an absolutely overwhelming amount of fossil evidence and other evidence that shows this and supports this. Evolution is scientific fact, even if we don't know everything about it. To be in denial of it is to live in willful ignorance.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:46 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
That's true, actually. We didn't evolve from apes. We are apes.

Humans evolved from ape-like earlier ancestors. We share a common ancestor with today's other great apes (chimps, bonobos, gorillas), that lived some time around 6-8 million years ago.

There is an absolutely overwhelming amount of fossil evidence and other evidence that shows this and supports this. Evolution is scientific fact, even if we don't know everything about it. To be in denial of it is to live in willful ignorance.
Based on truthteller's comments, he doesn't have the foggiest idea what the (non)theory of evolution says.

Old 01-21-2024, 02:45 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Nobody knows anything about Jesus. That's probably because he's not real, a 2000 year old book has no bearing on society today, not that it ever did. It's just a book folks. And Jesus is a fictional character. Gah.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:17 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:

and they are
You could have stopped there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality