Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2024, 07:20 AM

50,853 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
lol....right. As if you never "put down" a religion. Good grief.
Yes, I have. I can admit it. And for cause.

But you see what you do...you don't respond to the actual criticism, you try to change the conversation. That's dishonest.

You remind me very much of a bible thumper that approached me once when I was doing a long walk from a park along the Potomac River in Alexandria, Virginia up to Rosslyn, Arlington, then across the river and back down. He approached me hiding something behind his back (the dishonesty began there). At first he was polite, and then he suddenly whipped out the bible and asked, "Do you know what this is?" Very dramatic. And I said, "Yes, I knew what it was when you were still hiding it behind your back. It's the bible and you're here to convert me, if necessary". "Well are you christian?" "No, I'm Buddhist". "Oh, I have a lot of respect for Buddhists". "Oh really? Don't you think we're going to hell?" "Well, we don't have to talk about unpleasant things". "I think we do. You say you have a lot of respect for Buddhists? But don't you think we're going to hell?" He hemmed and hawed for a bit...apparently honesty comes difficult for some bible thumpers. But finally admitted that, "Yes, you will go hell if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior". "Well thank you for all the respect!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 07:39 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Oh good grief Phetaroi— the hypocrisy and your sense of superiority is LOL ^^^

You say you are a Buddhist, so Surely you know of the various 8-10 Buddhist hell realms, the merit Karma, and the various fundamentalism depending on which Buddhist denomination you subscribe to.

I jumped out of Buddhism when it became too much like catholism for any spiritual credibility…the hell realms, the merit karma, the guilt obsession, the long memorizations of doctrines, the chantings, the rituals, a myriad of denominations and interpretations, etc etc all so similar to Catholicism and evangelical fundamentalism….

Are there spiritually mature contemplatives and mystics in non-duality denominations? Yes, just like there are spiritually mature contemplatives and mystics in Christianity.

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-31-2024 at 08:44 AM..

Old 01-31-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Oh good grief Phetaroi— the hypocrisy and your sense of superiority is LOL ^^^

You say you are a Buddhist, so Surely you know of the various 8-10 Buddhist hell realms, the merit Karma, and the various fundamentalism depending on which Buddhist denomination you subscribe to.

I jumped out of Buddhism when it became too much like catholism for any spiritual credibility…the hell realms, the merit karma, the guilt obsession, the long memorizations of doctrines, the chantings, the rituals, etc etc all so similar to Catholicism and evangelical fundamentalism….

Are there spiritually mature contemplatives and mystics in non-duality denominations? Yes, just like there are spiritually mature contemplatives and mystics in Christianity.
Thank you for sharing your own sense of superiority.

And just how old are you? You "jumped out of Buddhism" and yet in another post in this forum you said, "My prayer life and walk with God on the spiritual path is not formal or stylized, but it is a constant communion, and I hesitate to call it a discipline, as after 50+ years it’s just my way of living now".

Old 01-31-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for sharing your own sense of superiority.

And just how old are you? You "jumped out of Buddhism" and yet in another post in this forum you said, "My prayer life and walk with God on the spiritual path is not formal or stylized, but it is a constant communion, and I hesitate to call it a discipline, as after 50+ years it’s just my way of living now".
I’m 72.
Where do you find my sense of superiority?
I don’t feel superior at all —when have I posted insults to atheists, Buddhists, or other religions?
Buddhism was not interesting for me, not my spiritual path for reasons I gave above. I was pointing out the hypocrisy and intolerance you were personally displaying — not a spiritual superiority.

I’ve had many serious and spiritually mature Buddhist friends over the years , so I just get impatient constantly reading your bigotry, hypocrisy, and intolerance toward those whose path is different than yours.
My mature Buddhist friends show compassion, tolerance, curiosity, and KINDNESS towards others…..

Old 01-31-2024, 09:03 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
I’m 72.
I don’t feel superior at all —when have I posted insults to atheists, Buddhists, or other religions?
Buddhism was not interesting for me, not my spiritual path for reasons I gave above. I was pointing out the hypocrisy and intolerance you were personally displaying — not a spiritual superiority.

I’ve had many serious and spiritually mature Buddhist friends over the years , so I just get impatient constantly reading your bigotry, hypocrisy, and intolerance toward those whose path is different than yours.
My mature Buddhist friends show compassion, tolerance, curiosity, and KINDNESS towards others…..
Phet has a lot of psychological abreaction stemming from his cumulative frustration from his experiences with proselytizing Christians in his life, IMO.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Phet has a lot of psychological abreaction stemming from his cumulative frustration from his experiences with proselytizing Christians in his life, IMO.
It’s curious to me that neither Phet nor the fundamentalist atheists here can’t see they are just manifesting the flip side of the same fundamentalist proselytizing coin they so despise……

Old 01-31-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I’m 72.

"There he goes again".

Old 01-31-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It’s curious to me that neither Phet nor the fundamentalist atheists here can’t see they are just manifesting the flip side of the same fundamentalist proselytizing coin they so despise……
Except for one little thing.

You'll not find a post of mine where I suggest that anyone should become Buddhist. Be whatever religion you want to be...although hopefully for the right reasons (and at the top of my list is moral principles). So I don't proselytize.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't expect your religion not to be critiqued. I openly critique things within Buddhist teachings. I critique things that some Buddhist monks do. If one can't critique, one can't fully grasp.

So yes, I see that you're confused.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except for one little thing.

You'll not find a post of mine where I suggest that anyone should become Buddhist. Be whatever religion you want to be...although hopefully for the right reasons (and at the top of my list is moral principles). So I don't proselytize.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't expect your religion not to be critiqued. I openly critique things within Buddhist teachings. I critique things that some Buddhist monks do. If one can't critique, one can't fully grasp.

So yes, I see that you're confused.[
I disagree.
Your form and other atheists here proselytize atheism by demeaning and insulting theists and boast about how superior in intellect your atheism is. That’s different than critique.
An example of sone of your insults and sense of superiority in a post:

“ Regardless of a thread's topic, the poster in question brings his imagined interaction with god into it. It's an obsession.”
other posts

“When it comes to things "abominable", the bible is full of it.”

“ Well put.
I don't think religious people with no real science background understand something as simple as the scientific method.”

“ Yes, we all know how you christians love and will cling to suffering.”

“ This is, to me, another example of 'grasping at straws' to feel like one is connected to a non-existent god-being.”

“ Very wooish”

There are many other of your insults.
The other atheists here post how superior they are and how stupid Christianity is and post we don’t believe in science, or if we claim we do, we are too ignorant to really understand the REALITIES of facts and science. I have been accused of this even though I have a degree in science and have shown the data that 36% of scientists believe in God.

You will not find a post of mine where I’ve prosletyzed that Christianity is better than atheism or insulted atheists or other beliefs than mine.
There are many atheist posters here proselytizing atheism as superior. There is even one atheist who posts that his whole reason here is to teach Christians how wrong and ignorant they are.
I call it fundamentalist atheism…..

So yes, I see you’re confused on the Buddhist Concepts of kindness, compassion and tolerance….

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-31-2024 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-31-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I disagree.
Your form and other atheists here proselytize atheism by demeaning and insulting theists and boast about how superior in intellect your atheism is. That’s different than critique.
An example of one of your insults and sense of superiority in a post:

“ Regardless of a thread's topic, the poster in question brings his imagined interaction with god into it. It's an obsession.”
other posts

“When it comes to things "abominable", the bible is full of it.”

“ Well put.
I don't think religious people with no real science background understand something as simple as the scientific method.”

“ Yes, we all know how you christians love and will cling to suffering.”

“ This is, to me, another example of 'grasping at straws' to feel like one is connected to a non-existent god-being.”

“ Very wooish”

There are many other of your insults.
The other atheists here post how superior they are and how stupid Christianity is and post we don’t believe in science, or if we claim we do, we are too ignorant to really understand the REALITIES of facts and science. I have been accused of this even though I have a degree in science and have shown the data that 36% of scientists believe in God.

You will not find a post of mine where I’ve prosletyzed that Christianity is better than atheism. There are many atheist posters here proselytizing atheism as superior. There is even one atheist who posts that his whole reason here is to teach Christians how wrong they are.
I call it fundamentalist atheism…..
I have never said anything here about me having a superior intellect.

I stand by each of the quotations you listed. And by the way...you want to hear something insulting? "If you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you're going to hell". Now THAT is insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality