Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2024, 11:02 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have never said anything here about me having a superior intellect.

I stand by each of the quotations you listed. And by the way...you want to hear something insulting? "If you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you're going to hell". Now THAT is insulting.
As is my bad Karma may turn me into a mosquito or banana slug next go around…..
As a Buddhist — do you believe in karmic reincarnation or Buddhist hell realms?

(I and many Christians don’t believe in ETERNAL hell and damnation)

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-31-2024 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 12:01 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
As is my bad Karma may turn me into a mosquito or banana slug next go around…..
As a Buddhist — do you believe in karmic reincarnation or Buddhist hell realms?

(I and many Christians don’t believe in ETERNAL hell and damnation)
Theravada Buddhists do seem to believe in various hell and heaven realms, with the hell realms being temporary. Personally...maybe. Maybe not. No one actually knows.

Karmic reincarnation? Maybe. Maybe not. No one actually knows.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:34 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Thank you for your honest reply.
If you can practice in and honor your own religion which has multiple denominations with different beliefs and interpretations, some even you dont believe in —- then perhaps there is no need to denigrate Christians who practice a religion which many don’t take scripturally literally and who mostly see no conflict between science and spirituality.

There are both atheist and Christian fanatic evangelicals/fundamentalists—- I don’t think you nor I desire to be either.

I feel we are hijacking this thread — my fault - but we can continue this discussion elsewhere if you need to continue it.

Last edited by mountainrose; 01-31-2024 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2024, 02:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Yes, I have. I can admit it. And for cause.

But you see what you do...you don't respond to the actual criticism, you try to change the conversation. That's dishonest.

You remind me very much of a bible thumper that approached me once when I was doing a long walk from a park along the Potomac River in Alexandria, Virginia up to Rosslyn, Arlington, then across the river and back down. He approached me hiding something behind his back (the dishonesty began there). At first he was polite, and then he suddenly whipped out the bible and asked, "Do you know what this is?" Very dramatic. And I said, "Yes, I knew what it was when you were still hiding it behind your back. It's the bible and you're here to convert me, if necessary". "Well are you christian?" "No, I'm Buddhist". "Oh, I have a lot of respect for Buddhists". "Oh really? Don't you think we're going to hell?" "Well, we don't have to talk about unpleasant things". "I think we do. You say you have a lot of respect for Buddhists? But don't you think we're going to hell?" He hemmed and hawed for a bit...apparently honesty comes difficult for some bible thumpers. But finally admitted that, "Yes, you will go hell if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior". "Well thank you for all the respect!"
Let's be honest. You claim to be tolerant, loving and kind. Yet, you tell a story that brands me and anyone that believes historical orthodox Christian belief, from the standpoint that we are bigoted fools.

I'm sorry that you are so intolerant of me and those that believe as we do. You have your religious beliefs, we have our's. I would not intentionally mistreat you or anyone here. But yes, the Bible does tell us that sin separates us from God, and the answer is our Messiah -- God himself became flesh to save us. You do not consider it disrespectful to attack my beliefs. Why would I find it disrespectful to say what my religion teaches?

Old 01-31-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let's be honest. You claim to be tolerant, loving and kind. Yet, you tell a story that brands me and anyone that believes historical orthodox Christian belief, from the standpoint that we are bigoted fools.

I'm sorry that you are so intolerant of me and those that believe as we do. You have your religious beliefs, we have our's. I would not intentionally mistreat you or anyone here. But yes, the Bible does tell us that sin separates us from God, and the answer is our Messiah -- God himself became flesh to save us. You do not consider it disrespectful to attack my beliefs. Why would I find it disrespectful to say what my religion teaches?
You self-describe as a "fundie". Frankly, that's all I need to know.

You see criticism as an attack. I see criticism as...critique. If Jesus could endure crucifixion...and can't endure my posts...wow. "Are ye able said the master to be crucified with me..." Apparently not.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
You self-describe as a "fundie". Frankly, that's all I need to know.
I know for a fact you've seen me say that it's tongue-in-cheek. But hey, you're welcome to your presuppositions.

The fact that you can't see your own fundamentalism is not surprising.
Quote:
You see criticism as an attack.
As do you.
Quote:

I see criticism as...critique. If Jesus could endure crucifixion...and can't endure my posts...wow. "Are ye able said the master to be crucified with me..." Apparently not.

Your reaction says otherwise.

Old 02-01-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I know for a fact you've seen me say that it's tongue-in-cheek. But hey, you're welcome to your presuppositions.

The fact that you can't see your own fundamentalism is not surprising.

As do you.

Your reaction says otherwise.
The problem is you call yourself an fundie...and you post like a fundie.

But I rather like that these posts by little old me, a mere atheist, apparently causes you so much angst.

Old 02-02-2024, 03:32 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Amazing how an Islamic religion can rewrite an account 850 years after its passing, and exclude all the live and documented witness accounts. Its like going back today and writing about Marco Polo's 1254 birth in the year 2024.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Amazing how an Islamic religion can rewrite an account 850 years after its passing, and exclude all the live and documented witness accounts. Its like going back today and writing about Marco Polo's 1254 birth in the year 2024.
And yet here you are critiquing an Islamic account that was created over 1,300 years ago.

Old 02-02-2024, 11:25 PM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
It is amusing how Islam can base it's 'historical' Jesus on your fictional 'documented eyewitness' accounts. It is like looking for the ruins of Mordor based on the 'historical' accounts of the Lord of the Rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality