Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2024, 10:12 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You criticized me in another post for saying these people think they're special. Then you turn around and claim BF "has the audacity"...

The definition of audacity is: "rude or disrespectful behavior; impudence".

So I'll turn it around. You can be a bit harsh.
I didn't turn around...

On the harshness scale, I think disgusting ranks a good deal more harsh than someone having audacity, but there is no question I can be harsh sometimes too. Now that you turn this around for me, if I were to post that comment again I think I might have chosen a different way to describe BF's ways. Maybe instead of describing people who claim knowledge about what God is up to as audacious, I'll say it's a bit presumptuous. Silly...

You?

Happy new year everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 11:48 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Old 01-01-2024, 03:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Why should you take vitamins if you have god?
At our births, we are given free will do so as we wish. And we know on this earth, some things aren't perfect. Like the air we breathe. What's in the water, etc. And because I work in an office with air conditioning and I'm freezing half the time, I sometimes need an extra boost for my immune system. And the vitamins do the job. I never think to pray about it.

I was at a spiritual retreat in Pennsylvania in October and I didn't take my vitamins with me. Three days before it ended, people began getting covid. I just stayed in bed most of one day and I didn't get it. I haven't been taking vitamins on a regular basis since then. So far, so good. Not sick.

About prayer for healings, as I posted, sometimes it doesn't work because the body is too far gone. This is what happened with my sister. Three years ago, she had back surgery. She kept feeling pain and was eventually diagnosed with ALS. She prayed, her husband and son prayed, and her family prayed for her. She slowly became immobile and a few weeks later, Thank God, she passed over in October before I went to the retreat. I was able to attend her funeral, and I wasn't sad that she died, because I don't believe in death. I believe we "move." So she went to the spirit world and I'm sure was greeted by our family.

P.S. Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2024, 06:34 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
At our births, we are given free will do so as we wish. And we know on this earth, some things aren't perfect. Like the air we breathe. What's in the water, etc. And because I work in an office with air conditioning and I'm freezing half the time, I sometimes need an extra boost for my immune system. And the vitamins do the job. I never think to pray about it.

I was at a spiritual retreat in Pennsylvania in October and I didn't take my vitamins with me. Three days before it ended, people began getting covid. I just stayed in bed most of one day and I didn't get it. I haven't been taking vitamins on a regular basis since then. So far, so good. Not sick.

About prayer for healings, as I posted, sometimes it doesn't work because the body is too far gone. This is what happened with my sister. Three years ago, she had back surgery. She kept feeling pain and was eventually diagnosed with ALS. She prayed, her husband and son prayed, and her family prayed for her. She slowly became immobile and a few weeks later, Thank God, she passed over in October before I went to the retreat. I was able to attend her funeral, and I wasn't sad that she died, because I don't believe in death. I believe we "move." So she went to the spirit world and I'm sure was greeted by our family.

P.S. Happy New Year!
You're very good at making stuff up.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:18 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
You're very good at making stuff up.
How is this for making stuff up. God loves all of His children... no matter if they love Him or not.

For those interested to know more about who and what is God, the information at this link is great:
God, the Heavenly Father

P.S. I don't go to church. My "church" aka "God" is with me at all times - wherever I am, He is.

Last edited by SoCalAngel2009; 01-01-2024 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-01-2024, 08:15 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedMuggle View Post
People do think prayers work.

I don't believe prayer "works" per se -- not as a charm to fix things, to get well, or whatever. I'm not putting that down but honestly, what is the point of praying that God's will be done, for example? Isn't He going to do His will anyway?

And no...it doesn't make sense that a child somewhere praying that her uncle stops coming into her room (for example) gets ignored but someone else prays to find their car keys and then they do..."getting things," even if from the heart (say, to be cured of illness), can't possibly be the goal of prayer or it would be a little more fair than that.

I think prayer is a communication. It's to either get in touch with God or with one's higher self or whatever it is that gives us that "feeling." Prayer is a form of meditation.

JMO.

Another useful purpose for prayer is to relieve guilt. How many times have we heard of unfortunates who go to a church for a hand-up and the pastor says something like, "Well, I can't give you any money or a place to sleep but I can give you something much more powerful than worldly good--I can pray for you." Of course God never answers the person's prayer because as we all know God is non-existent. But the pastor can go to sleep that night with a clear conscience confident in the knowledge that he gave the person the most valuable gift he had to offer--not money for a warm meal or a night's shelter--but good old reliable prayer.

Yesirree, nothing succeeds like prayer....

For relieving a guilty conscience, that's is.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Another useful purpose for prayer is to relieve guilt. How many times have we heard of unfortunates who go to a church for a hand-up and the pastor says something like, "Well, I can't give you any money or a place to sleep but I can give you something much more powerful than worldly good--I can pray for you." Of course God never answers the person's prayer because as we all know God is non-existent. But the pastor can go to sleep that night with a clear conscience confident in the knowledge that he gave the person the most valuable gift he had to offer--not money for a warm meal or a night's shelter--but good old reliable prayer.

Yesirree, nothing succeeds like prayer....

For relieving a guilty conscience, that's is.
Well, my answer to your question is...I've never heard that.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well, my answer to your question is...I've never heard that.

"I know people who, in their times of deepest need, turned to their church for support and assistance and instead felt pushed away or unwanted."

https://www.jessicabrodie.com/shinin...ht/unwelcoming

Old 01-01-2024, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"I know people who, in their times of deepest need, turned to their church for support and assistance and instead felt pushed away or unwanted."

https://www.jessicabrodie.com/shinin...ht/unwelcoming
You said, "How many times have we heard..." I'm pointing out that your "we" is inappropriate. "We" haven't heard that. Maybe you did.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
You said, "How many times have we heard..." I'm pointing out that your "we" is inappropriate. "We" haven't heard that. Maybe you did.

lol picky picky. "We" is just a reference to people in general, not anyone in particular. "We" are being testy, aren't "we"? Now that one is in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality