Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2023, 08:44 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why? Can't god reset a broken bone?

Or perhaps god wants you to be malformed.
Is this off topic? I answered your questions, and then decided to remove it.

I definitely believe in God and in prayer.

Last edited by SoCalAngel2009; 12-31-2023 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 09:12 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Is this off topic? I answered your questions, and then decided to remove it.

I definitely believe in God and in prayer.
Not sure what generation you're from, but I remember well children and adults being in iron lungs from polio. A vaccine pretty much ended that. And all those childhood diseases most of us got -- measles, checken pox, the mumps...all treated my modern medicine. Leprosy, rabies, and many other diseases not comparable now compared to the days when there were no cures...and modern medicine developed huge improvements.

People like you were a huge problem in our public schools and resulted in kids who got sick who didn't have to. That's an evil of religion.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:13 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Actually people "all over the world" don't pray to your god. And, just for the record, in what film did Charlton Heston play god?
I almost hate to say this, but Charlton Heston (though uncredited) played God in the 1990 Paul Hogan movie Almost An Angel. I never saw the movie myself and would not. I just looked it up on IMDb. Why Ben Hur lent his name to such a stupid movie (it was Paul Hogan, so it had to be stupid) I have no idea.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I almost hate to say this, but Charlton Heston (though uncredited) played God in the 1990 Paul Hogan movie Almost An Angel. I never saw the movie myself and would not. I just looked it up on IMDb. Why Ben Hur lent his name to such a stupid movie (it was Paul Hogan, so it had to be stupid) I have no idea.
interesting

Old 12-31-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Not sure what generation you're from, but I remember well children and adults being in iron lungs from polio. A vaccine pretty much ended that. And all those childhood diseases most of us got -- measles, checken pox, the mumps...all treated my modern medicine. Leprosy, rabies, and many other diseases not comparable now compared to the days when there were no cures...and modern medicine developed huge improvements.

People like you were a huge problem in our public schools and resulted in kids who got sick who didn't have to. That's an evil of religion.
Well, it’s people like me who pray not just for myself but for all of God’s children. When my niece’s son had cancer when he was 5 years old - how did that happen? A vaccine, perhaps. I don’t know. I just don’t trust big pharma. I trust God.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Well, it’s people like me who pray not just for myself but for all of God’s children. When my niece’s son had cancer when he was 5 years old - how did that happen? A vaccine, perhaps. I don’t know. I just don’t trust big pharma. I trust God.
Right..you DON'T KNOW.

You "just don't trust big pharma". Well, I just don't trust christianity to lead people [like you] in making wise decisions for yourself and for others.

Old 01-01-2024, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Right..you DON'T KNOW.

You "just don't trust big pharma". Well, I just don't trust christianity to lead people [like you] in making wise decisions for yourself and for others.
My best friend believes in prayer as well. She’s a registered nurse and she had to get the Covid jab. Now why did she get sick with the Covid after getting the jab, and I didn’t? Perhaps, it was because I was taking at least a dozen vitamins a day which helped my immune system.

Praying is a good thing. It uplifts our hearts, makes us happy and changes us for the better.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:35 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
My best friend believes in prayer as well. She’s a registered nurse and she had to get the Covid jab. Now why did she get sick with the Covid after getting the jab, and I didn’t? Perhaps, it was because I was taking at least a dozen vitamins a day which helped my immune system.
Because the Covid vaccines are not like the vaccines for whooping cough or smallpox; they are not sterilizing vaccines where you get virtually 100% protection forever from one shot. They reduce significantly the odds of infection, and of serious illness if infected. Not as much as hoped at first. Masking helps further, particularly if everyone is doing it. But front line workers, especially in medicine, are also maximally exposed. So your best friend lost the lottery.

That is all readily available common knowledge.

Less readily available unless you read a couple of newsletters by virologists on a regular basis is that the effectiveness of the vaccines drop off quite a bit after about 2 months as to infection prevention, and at about 6 months with respect to reducing symptom severity. And we aren't allowed to be vaccinated nearly often enough to offset that. You can't get more frequent vaccinations in the US even if your doctor prescribes it and you are wiling to pay for it yourself. I've tried.

The Novovax vaccine is much longer lasting with fewer side effects but not widely distributed and tends to suffer from delayed approvals relative to the others, so in practice it's not accessible to enough people to be helpful.

Old 01-01-2024, 06:11 AM

323 posts, read 135,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Because the Covid vaccines are not like the vaccines for whooping cough or smallpox; they are not sterilizing vaccines where you get virtually 100% protection forever from one shot. They reduce significantly the odds of infection, and of serious illness if infected. Not as much as hoped at first. Masking helps further, particularly if everyone is doing it. But front line workers, especially in medicine, are also maximally exposed. So your best friend lost the lottery.

That is all readily available common knowledge.

Less readily available unless you read a couple of newsletters by virologists on a regular basis is that the effectiveness of the vaccines drop off quite a bit after about 2 months as to infection prevention, and at about 6 months with respect to reducing symptom severity. And we aren't allowed to be vaccinated nearly often enough to offset that. You can't get more frequent vaccinations in the US even if your doctor prescribes it and you are wiling to pay for it yourself. I've tried.

The Novovax vaccine is much longer lasting with fewer side effects but not widely distributed and tends to suffer from delayed approvals relative to the others, so in practice it's not accessible to enough people to be helpful.
Also, people don't understand the concept of sample size - which, really, is so intuitive that one doesn't need to take a class in statistics to understand it.

It's like the person who knows someone who died in a crash while wearing a seatbelt and another person who survived while unbelted, and thereby assumes not only that seatbelts aren't an effective safety measure but actually increase the risk of death.

It's a critical thinking issue. But it's also selective. The same individuals who 'trust God, not medical professionals' suddenly have all the trust in the world for medical professionals when Grandpa is having a heart attack or their child has pneumonia.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Praying is a good thing. It uplifts our hearts, makes us happy and changes us for the better.
Why should you take vitamins if you have god?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality