Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 11:53 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Nah..it's actually based on God speaking through men. Yes, he used men to write Scripture.
To quote...you: "How are you "sure" of that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 12:10 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I don't think anyone's expecting a genie in a bottle. That seems over-the-top sarcastic to say and is simply a sleazy way to call people who are discouraged stupid without coming right out and calling them stupid. Because, you know, actually calling them stupid out loud would not be Christ-like, and we can't show that side of ourselves if we're calling ourselves Christian.

But it's discouraging when one calls out to the God they believed in for comfort, for help, for some kind of sign that they've been heard in their sorrow and pain and distress, but none of that is to be had. That's not looking for a genie in a bottle. That's looking for a response from the God that they were told is said to love us, to be our Father. When those are the prayers that don't "work", that's when people turn away.

And then when the people who present themselves as Christian are ice cold in their own responses to the sorrowful and suffering, or respond to their cries with sarcasm and condescension, that pretty much kills any shreds of faith they might have had left.

Old 12-31-2023, 04:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,162,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I pray that someone else responds to this thread
Your prayer is now answered.

One thing that I wanted to post is about prayers for healing. In my belief, we ask God to "remove the cause" of the health problem. If the cause is slight, then it may be healed (I had a healing of an excruciating back pain that worked). However, if the person is praying for the healing of an organ that is no longer functioning properly, then there is no chance of a healing.

During the covid years when I was working remote, two years in a row, I sprained each of my ankles. Well, that's something that can't be healed in an instant and I didn't ask God to instantly heal them. It took a few weeks to bring them both back to walking order.

But one thing that I didn't do during that time was to get the covid shot and I have never gotten a flu shot either. I don't believe in those jabs and, therefore, I wasn't inclined to get any. And guess what? I never got the covid and I don't intend to get it or the flu for that matter. My motto is - I refuse to get it! And so far, it's working just fine. :-) Mind over matter.

As I posted earlier, God doesn't answer prayers for healings or material things, i.e., someone needs money, a new car, etc. For those jobs, He will send His Angels to help make it happen. And if it is at all possible, the prayer may come to pass. What the Angels do is they will use their influence on a mortal through their thoughts to help with the situation. Sometimes they are successful and sometimes they're not.

Old 12-31-2023, 04:59 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
I can't speak for God or His reasons for what happens on this earth, good, bad, or indifferent.
I will say that prayers are answered. I will say that miracles occur on a daily basis.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:20 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
If your prayer is answered... (Yes) God's will.

If your prayer is not answered... (No) Not God's will.

If there is no discernable outcome after the prayer... (Wait) It's not God's will at that time. But it might be for a later time. Or it might not ever be his will and he wants to keep you hanging for a while. Maybe forever.

That is how God answers prayers.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Your prayer is now answered.

One thing that I wanted to post is about prayers for healing. In my belief, we ask God to "remove the cause" of the health problem. If the cause is slight, then it may be healed (I had a healing of an excruciating back pain that worked). However, if the person is praying for the healing of an organ that is no longer functioning properly, then there is no chance of a healing.

During the covid years when I was working remote, two years in a row, I sprained each of my ankles. Well, that's something that can't be healed in an instant and I didn't ask God to instantly heal them. It took a few weeks to bring them both back to walking order.

But one thing that I didn't do during that time was to get the covid shot and I have never gotten a flu shot either. I don't believe in those jabs and, therefore, I wasn't inclined to get any. And guess what? I never got the covid and I don't intend to get it or the flu for that matter. My motto is - I refuse to get it! And so far, it's working just fine. :-) Mind over matter.

As I posted earlier, God doesn't answer prayers for healings or material things, i.e., someone needs money, a new car, etc. For those jobs, He will send His Angels to help make it happen. And if it is at all possible, the prayer may come to pass. What the Angels do is they will use their influence on a mortal through their thoughts to help with the situation. Sometimes they are successful and sometimes they're not.
Why don't you take it all the way...no doctors, no hospitals, just you and your god. And sooner you are going to learn a very valuable lesson.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:20 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I pray that someone else responds to this thread
Prayers work spiritually as intended. Our expectations, readiness to accept, and sensitivity to the answers are the problem, IMO. Our task is to learn what is and is not important to our spiritual life, NOT this physical existence.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If your prayer is answered... (Yes) God's will.

If your prayer is not answered... (No) Not God's will.

If there is no discernable outcome after the prayer... (Wait) It's not God's will at that time. But it might be for a later time. Or it might not ever be his will and he wants to keep you hanging for a while. Maybe forever.

That is how God answers prayers.
One more thing, God always answers the prayer for His Divine Love, delivered by the Holy Spirit.

Prayer for Divine Love

Old 12-31-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why don't you take it all the way...no doctors, no hospitals, just you and your god. And sooner you are going to learn a very valuable lesson.
Well, God is my doctor when I need Him. However, He isn’t my dentist or chiropractor. I will only go to the doctor for a broken bone.

Have you ever heard of the term “expiation?” It’s the removal of sins on our souls and it’s an excruciating pain. I felt it a few times and once I thought I was having a heart attack. So I asked God if I was going to die. His answer: “No.”

Btw, I have “Do not resuscitate” on my will. When it’s my turn to move, I’ll be a happy camper.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Well, God is my doctor when I need Him. However, He isn’t my dentist or chiropractor. I will only go to the doctor for a broken bone.

Have you ever heard of the term “expiation?” It’s the removal of sins on our souls and it’s an excruciating pain. I felt it a few times and once I thought I was having a heart attack. So I asked God if I was going to die. His answer: “No.”

Btw, I have “Do not resuscitate” on my will. When it’s my turn to move, I’ll be a happy camper.
Why? Can't god reset a broken bone?

Or perhaps god wants you to be malformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality