Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times

Advertisements

i sit in the circle. i come unarmed with an open hand. resentment towards no one. the battles i have fought earn me respect if not friendship. my cup runneth over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
In my culture we teach by telling stories, so my brothers and sisters I have a story for you.

I sit in the shade of this tree in front of my house. Native People come to me and I say to the Native people, Tell me your Vision.

And Native People answer, the Elders have told us to pray in this manner, and that manner, and it is important that only we pray as we have been taught for this has been handed down to us by the Elders.

Hmmmmm, I said to them.

Then Black People came to me and I said to the Black People, Tell me your Vision.

And the Black People answered, our Mothers have said to go to this building and that building and pray in this manner and that manner. Our Fathers have said to bow in this manner and that manner when we pray. It is important that we do only this when we pray.

Hmmmmm, I said to them.

Then Yellow People came to me and I said to Yellow People, Tell me your Vision.

And Yellow People answered, our Teacher have told us to sit in this manner and that manner and to say this thing and that thing when we pray, and it is important that we do only this when we pray.

Hmmmmm, I said to them.

Then White People came to me and I said to White People, Tell me your Vision.

And White People answered, Our Book has told us to pray in this way and that way and to do this thing and that thing, and it is very important that we do this when we pray.

Hmmmmm, I said to them.

Then I spoke to the Earth and said, have you given the people a Vision? And the Earth said, Yes, a special gift for each one, but the people were so busy speaking and arguing about which way is right that they could not see the gift I gave each one of them. And I asked the same question of Water and Fire and Air and got the same answer. Then I asked Animal and Bird and Insect and Tree and Flower and Sky and Moon and Sun and Stars and all of the Spirits and each told me the same.

I thought this was very sad. I called Native People, Black People, Yellow People, and White People to me and I said to them. The ways taught to you by your Elders, and your Mothers and Fathers and Teachers and Books are sacred. It is good that you respect those ways, for they are the ways of your Ancestors. But the Ancestors no longer walk on the face of the Earth Mother. You have forgotten your own Vision. Your Vision is right for you but no one else. Now each of you must pray for your own Visions, and be still enough to see them, so you can follow the way of the heart. It is a hard way. It is a good way. OSAY

Last edited by ptsum; 04-29-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have sat in many Sacred Circles during my lifetime.

My favorite ones were when everyone would spontaneously break out singing: "Don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me."

My least favorite ones where when we all joined hands while some pompous windbag blabbed on about Peace or Brotherhood, both of which I firmly believed in.

Especially while I was sitting in the other circle.
Freddy, it is good to have you join us, I appreciate your sense of humor and there are times when that is needed even within this sacred circle, welcome.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i sit in the circle. i come unarmed with an open hand. resentment towards no one. the battles i have fought earn me respect if not friendship. my cup runneth over.
Huckleberry, my traveling brother, it is good that you to join us, you are welcomed within the sacred circle

Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
In my culture we teach by telling stories, so my brothers and sisters I have a story for you.

I sit in the shade of this tree in front of my house. Native People come to me and I say to the Native people, Tell me your Vision.

And Native People answer, the Elders have told us to pray in this manner, and that manner, and it is important that only we pray as we have been taught for this has been handed down to us by the Elders.

Hmmmmm, I said to them.

Then Black People came to me and I said to the Black People, Tell me your Vision.

And the Black People answered, our Mothers have said to go to this building and that building and pray in this manner and that manner. Our Fathers have said to bow in this manner and that manner when we pray. It is important that we do only this when we pray.

Hmmmmm, I said to them.

Then Yellow People came to me and I said to Yellow People, Tell me your Vision.

And Yellow People answered, our Teacher have told us to sit in this manner and that manner and to say this thing and that thing when we pray, and it is important that we do only this when we pray.

Hmmmmm, I said to them.

Then White People came to me and I said to White People, Tell me your Vision.

And White People answered, Our Book has told us to pray in this way and that way and to do this thing and that thing, and it is very important that we do this when we pray.

Hmmmmm, I said to them.

Then I spoke to the Earth and said, have you given the people a Vision? And the Earth said, Yes, a special gift for each one, but the people were so busy speaking and arguing about which way is right that they could not see the gift I gave each one of them. And I asked the same question of Water and Fire and Air and got the same answer. Then I asked Animal and Bird and Insect and Tree and Flower and Sky and Moon and Sun and Stars and all of the Spirits and each told me the same.

I thought this was very sad. I called Native People, Black People, Yellow People, and White People to me and I said to them. The ways taught to you by your Elders, and your Mothers and Fathers and Teachers and Books are sacred. It is good that you respect those ways, for they are the ways of your Ancestors. But the Ancestors no longer walk on the face of the Earth Mother. You have forgotten your own Vision. Your Vision is right for you but no one else. Now each of you must pray for your own Visions, and be still enough to see them, so you can follow the way of the heart. It is a hard way. It is a good way. OSAY
this is beautiful!
we come and sit in this circle, but this circle is like a cone. the widest part is all of us, and as we sit and learn together, we will join and be closer and closer, all pointing toward one goal together. that goal is understanding and peace.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,965 times
ptsum,

I posted this in another thread some time back and thought it appropriate here in the sacred circle. I hope you don't mind me sharing.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ml#post2380071

<>< weather...

Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
[

I like your story, Ptsum, and especially these last two paragraphs. Whether we choose to follow the spiritual path of our ancestors, or choose a different one, we need to remember that our trail is good for us, but those around us may need to follow another. I think it kind of comes back to the idea of treating others the way we would like to be treated.

There is a quote, attributed to Chief Joseph, (Nez Perce), that I've always liked. He actually was speaking specifically about Christianity, so I hope Christians don't take offense, but there is great wisdom, in these few words, that we should take to heart:

"We do not want churches because they will teach us to quarrel about God, as the Catholics and Protestants do. We do not want to learn that.

We may quarrel with men sometimes about things on this earth. But we never quarrel about God. We do not want to learn that
."

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
I visit a wonderful Native American Site..I found these words of wisdom that remind me of of things taught in the books of the bible concerning being still and waiting on the lord..I would like to share them here in the sacred circle..

Go Forward With Courage
When you are in doubt, be still and wait:
When doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
So long as mists envelop you, be still:
Be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists...
..as it surely will.
Then act with courage...
By: Ponca Chief White Eagle (18?? to 1914).

This speaks to me of patience in waiting for God/Spirit to show you the direction out of the mist of doubt and confusion that often surrounds our lives..When God speaks to our souls it gives us the courage to speak in peace and love..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
Blue62 Thank You for sharing your unique and very lovely spiritual insights! What a wonderful message to begin the day.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 AM

Today is a good day, for we have all learned something and this is the way it should be, we can all come together within the sacred circle and share our thoughts and visions with one another in peace and understanding. We all have our own Visions and we must not forget this, we can honor our ancestors and respect their ways but we must also remember that we have our own visions, each and every one of us and we can respect those also and this is something we must teach the next generation for they have their own visions and should be encouraged to seek them, for one day, we shall become the ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality