Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,097 times

Advertisements

The Tree I found was a possible dead fall, Or widow maker. It was no coincidence I found the tree. Please do not be quick to presume. I love nature and understand fully every consequence of interference. The owlets I saved because a group of kids were stressing the mother by constantly trying to get to her hollow. I managed to save one While two died.
I will forever remember them. As will my family. I once reared two baby mocking birds because the nest was taken down by neighborhood kids. Their names are cuckoo and cochoo.
They raised well tell they left on their own. Birds will eat anything protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 08:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I agree with Hiker45. Human beings are inherently prejudiced/biased -- its what's left of an essential survival skill (instinct?) from a time when "different" all-too-often meant "dangerous."

There is no harm in having prejudices/biases, because we all do. The harm comes when we, automatically and without thinking, act on them.
I believe that we are born with prejudices and biases. In order to survive in our evolutionary history we had to have a discriminating mind in order to perceive threats.

That being said I believe in the process of awakening or overcoming we must shed some of our evolutionary baggage in order to ascend spiritually.

Quote:
Monks, I will teach you the parable of the raft—for getting across, not for retaining. It is like a man who going on a journey sees a great stretch of water, the near bank with dangers and fears, the farther bank secure and without fears, but there is neither a boat for crossing over, nor a bridge across. It occurs to him that to cross over from the perils of this bank to the security of the farther bank, he should fashion a raft and cross over to safety.

When he has done this it occurs to him that the raft has been very useful, and he wonders if he ought to take it with him on his head and shoulders. What do you think, monks? That the man is doing what should be done with the raft? They answered, “No, Lord.” What should that man do, monks? When he has crossed over to the beyond, he must leave the raft and proceed on his journey.

Monks, a man doing this would be doing what should be done with the raft. In this way, I have taught you Dharma, like the parable of the raft, for getting across, not for retaining. You, monks, by understanding the parable of the raft, must not cling to right states of mind and, all the more, to wrong states of mind.
-Buddhist parable of the raft.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I believe that we are born with prejudices and biases. In order to survive in our evolutionary history we had to have a discriminating mind in order to perceive threats.

That being said I believe in the process of awakening or overcoming we must shed some of our evolutionary baggage in order to ascend spiritually.
As do I. Not everyone thinks like that. When it comes to personal biases/prejudices, many don't think at all.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
As do I. Not everyone thinks like that. When it comes to personal biases/prejudices, many don't think at all.
At a very young age two things I was taught stuck with me, Mom said don't judge. And Dad said don't be prejudice we are all human. Kinda makes it tough to find like minded friends.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:59 PM

Miracle and her mother
The birth of the white buffalo "Miracle" coincided with the revelations of the Spirit World.

3rd Rare White Buffalo Born on Wisconsin Farm
Fri Nov 23 14:19:00 2007

WHITE BUFFALO CALF WOMAN
Brings The First Pipe
As told by: Joseph Chasing Horse

We Lakota people have a prophecy about the white buffalo calf. How that prophecy originated was that we have a sacred bundle, a sacred peace pipe, that was brought to us about 2,000 years ago by what we know as the White Buffalo Calf Woman.

The story goes that she appeared to two warriors at that time. These two warriors were out hunting buffalo, hunting for food in the sacred Black Hills of South Dakota, and they saw a big body coming toward them. And they saw that it was a white buffalo calf. As it came closer to them, it turned into a beautiful young Indian girl.

That time one of the warriors thought bad in his mind, and so the young girl told him to step forward. And when he did step forward, a black cloud came over his body, and when the black cloud disappeared, the warrior who had bad thoughts was left with no flesh or blood on his bones. The other warrior kneeled and began to pray.

And when he prayed, the white buffalo calf who was now an Indian girl told him to go back to his people and warn them that in four days she was going to bring a sacred bundle.

So the warrior did as he was told. He went back to his people and he gathered all the elders and all the leaders and all the people in a circle and told them what she had instructed him to do. And sure enough, just as she said she would, on the fourth day she came.

They say a cloud came down from the sky, and off of the cloud stepped the white buffalo calf. As it rolled onto the earth, the calf stood up and became this beautiful young woman who was carrying the sacred bundle in her hand.

As she entered into the circle of the nation, she sang a sacred song and took the sacred bundle to the people who were there to take of her. She spent four days among our people and taught them about the sacred bundle, the meaning of it.

She taught them seven sacred ceremonies.

One of them was the sweat lodge, or the purification ceremony. One of them was the naming ceremony, child naming. The third was the healing ceremony. The fourth one was the making of relatives or the adoption ceremony. The fifth one was the marriage ceremony. The sixth was the vision quest. And the seventh was the sundance ceremony, the people's ceremony for all of the nation.

She brought us these seven sacred ceremonies and taught our people the songs and the traditional ways. And she instructed our people that as long as we performed these ceremonies we would always remain caretakers and guardians of sacred land. She told us that as long as we took care of it and respected it that our people would never die and would always live.

When she was done teaching all our people, she left the way she came. She went out of the circle, and as she was leaving she turned and told our people that she would return one day for the sacred bundle. And she left the sacred bundle, which we still have to this very day.

The sacred bundle is known as the White Buffalo Calf Pipe because it was brought by the White Buffalo Calf Woman. It is kept in a sacred place (Green Grass) on the Cheyenne River Indian reservation in South Dakota. it's kept by a man who is known as the keeper of the White Buffalo Calf Pipe, Arvol Looking Horse.

When White Buffalo Calf Woman promised to return again, she made some prophecies at that time

One of those prophesies was that the birth of a white buffalo calf would be a sign that it would be near the time when she would return again to purify the world. What she meant by that was that she would bring back harmony again and balance, spiritually.

No matter what happens to Miracle in the coming months and years, Joseph Chasing Horse says the birth is a sign from the Great Spirit and the ensuing age of harmony and balance it represents cannot be revoked. That doesn't mean, of course, that the severe trials Native Americans have endured since the arrival of Europeans on these shores are over. Indeed, the Lakota nation mounted the longest court case in U.S. history in an unsuccessful effort to regain control of the Black Hills, the sacred land on which the White Buffalo Calf Woman appeared 2,000 years ago.

Still, despite their ongoing struggles, Native Americans are heartened by the appearance of a white buffalo in Janesville, and have hope for a harmonious and prosperous future.

"Mention that we are praying, many of the medicine people, the spiritual leaders, the elders, are praying for the world," says Joseph Chasing Horse. "We are praying that mankind does wake up and think about the future, for we haven't just inherited this earth from our ancestors, but we are borrowing it from our unborn children."

Joseph Chasing Horse

Old 09-23-2014, 05:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
A good story, pinacled. One I have read in a slightly different version.

Where did you find it?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:31 PM

The*Birth*Of*A*White*Buffalo*Calf*Is*An Omen Of Universal Significance
Swore I posted the link, Sorry.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
We all have brain cramps now and again.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM

medicine lodge with twenty-four poles.
24 elders around the upper throne. huh.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
The weekend was nice and cool for a change, temps never above the high 70's. We turned off the A/C and turned on the window fans, and everything at Casa Nighteyes was MAHVELOUS! We even sat in the back yard for a couple of hours yesterday, watching the hummingbirds, scrub jays, mockingbirds, phoebes, doves, sparrows and crows/ravens; tolerating the sound of jetliners making their approaches to LAX and Bob Hope/Burbank; and daring the squirrels to approach our bird feeders...

The forecast places us into the mid-90s again by the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality