Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
It's a pretty video, but the theory has been thoroughly debunked.

From a scientist working on some of the ecosystem:
I'm sorry to report that this video is junk science. I'm on the board of a foundation focused on conservation, and through this role I've been working on some projects in Wyoming with several of the best ungulate scientists in the country, two of whom have spent a great deal of time studying the interaction of elk and wolves. In two separate studies, they have found that wolves do not cause elk to change their behavior or habitat use enough to cause the ecosystem changes with which they are credited in this video. Elk do act a bit differently when wolves are around, but only when they come quite close (within 1 km by the most comprehensive study). In that same study, 1 km encounters only happened about once every 9 days, so the ability of wolves to alter the way elk structure the plants they forage on, let alone entire ecosystems, is a bit constrained. Notably, wolves do not cause elk to avoid riparian areas; no definitive elk movement study has shown that. There has been a little tree/shrub regeneration in some parts of the Park, but that is believed to be the result of a huge decline in the elk population, not a change in elk behavior. The famous northern Yellowstone elk herd has been reduced from (depending on how you count it) about 20,000 animals to about 3 or 4,000 animals, due to combination of increased hunting, the worst drought since we started measuring such things in the late 1880s, and increased predation. Interestingly, Montana has issued many cow elk licenses to human hunters over the past decade in an effort to suppress the herd (ranchers control MT politics, and they don't like elk because they can transmit brucellosis to cattle; of course, brucellosis was initially introduced to wild elk and buffalo from cattle). Predation by wolves and grizzlies has also had an impact, but smaller than that of human hunting. A reduction of 15,000 elk saves a lot of forage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I grew up as a youngster in love with nature. Probably half my life has been in the wilderness. I can sit for hours watching crayfish in a clear sandstone stream. I once wheelbarreled an armidillo. Raised a screech owl. Climbed fifty foot trees and jumped into five foot of water. Guess you could say i am a bit reckless. Once during a flood I jumped into a waterfall. And spun until i was spit out. My favorite is the tarantula. Spiders and i, as most animals, are very comfortable with each other. Have you ever noticed how lizards and birds show the same affectionate head bob?
Right now is the time to watch the dragon fly dog fights. When you see them in a group they are feeding. Watch closely and you will see them snatch small flies hatching and flying up from the grass. There might even be multiple species at different alttitudes.
this was poetry beautiful you got rep.
i can see those dragonflies.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:11 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Reminds me of a poem I wrote. The Wind Tree Song.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 AM

Well not wrote.
But inspired to express..

Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Of course I named the screech owl Archimedes.
I found a small 30 foot tall foot wide hollow tree in a park soon after.
So I went home and grabbed a saw. When I proceeded to cut the tree down a concerned 'CITIZEN'.
That's a cool word. But she came over and told me I was Wrong for cutting the tree down. So I simply explained it was for a baby owl. 'its ok'. Not sure why she gave me a strange look and walked away.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Of course I named the screech owl Archimedes.
I found a small 30 foot tall foot wide hollow tree in a park soon after.
So I went home and grabbed a saw. When I proceeded to cut the tree down a concerned 'CITIZEN'.
That's a cool word. But she came over and told me I was Wrong for cutting the tree down. So I simply explained it was for a baby owl. 'its ok'. Not sure why she gave me a strange look and walked away.
Did you offer a similar explanation to the tree before cutting it down?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Did you offer a similar explanation to the tree before cutting it down?
No.
I asked the tree when I SAW it. Tree you are so beautiful. Would you be a home for my friend.
And the trees said of COURSE. So TREE , OWL , and I lived together in one Spirit.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM

One thing I learned from my ancestors.
We don't like labels or titles. You call and we will answer is the way to live.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
did you ask permission to cut the tree down, the tree had been standing there for many centuries and although it was hollow it was not dead, it was still alive. You're owl could have lived within the tree where it was at. Now imagine all the ancient wisdom that was lost because you cut that tree down.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
A man walked in a park and found a Flying Squirrel, Bat, and a woodpeker crying.

He asked what was wrong?

they cried

"The old hollow tree that was our home is gone."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality