Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times

Advertisements

Hello Miss Blue and Elston ( and everyone else).

I have to say you seem far more grounded and "Zen" than I ever will be. I can work myself up into absolute fits of depression reading some posts and the terrible thing is that I still come back for more. I pretty much gave up altogether on the Politics forum because I would have imploded !

But I am trying very hard to be a bit more aloof and remain calm.... Breathe in , breathe out, deep breaths and this is a good place to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
One thing you must remember.......it is part of our nature to strive, to organize, to protest, to challenge. It has been this way for eons. It is what brought us out of caves and a nomadic way of life to the urban society we call civilization (not necessarily always a good thing). so go on the political forums. Go on the Religious forums. Make your voice heard as you speak about things you feel strongly on. But realize, that those that agree with with you will not need your message (very often) and those that don't agree with you will not change their minds. Consequently you should look at it as a parlor game where sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but the important thing is to have fun. There is one caveat........when you share a personal story, a real life experience, it can be meaningful to a lot of people. If there are people who deride your experience, or "poo poo" your insights, let it be like water on a ducks back......those are people who are either so smitten with themselves that they are the only ones who are allowed to experience life, or that are so closed to the rest of the world that they only hear what they want to hear.

But the acrimony in the world can be overwhelming. And when you come to a place where you can stop and smell the roses, do so. Let your troubles go.......they will be there when you re-engage life. But by stopping and resting you can be re-energized so when you re-engage, you can be both stronger and have a better perspective. Let the angry hordes chase their demons.......recognize that the world is a wonderful and mysterious and beautiful place.

I recall once when I was a lot younger, that I was hitchhiking. I was in Ottawa, Ontario. It was sunset and it was springtime. The trees on the next block were budding out, the chill was out of the air, and one of the more spectacular sunsets I saw in that part of the world was in all its glory. Across the street was a guy working at a tire store. He was focused on the job he was doing. He was carrying on, cussing and ranting because this inanimate object, the tire, was not cooperating. In the midst of so much beauty, all he could see were the problems presented by his task.

When you face a task that seems overwhelming, take a few minutes out of your life, step to a window, go outside, watch a children's playground.......find a portion of the beauty that surrounds you, soak your soul in it, and return to the task renewed and refreshed........and at your own core, at peace.

Wado

Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Hello Miss Blue and Elston ( and everyone else).

I have to say you seem far more grounded and "Zen" than I ever will be. I can work myself up into absolute fits of depression reading some posts and the terrible thing is that I still come back for more. I pretty much gave up altogether on the Politics forum because I would have imploded !

But I am trying very hard to be a bit more aloof and remain calm.... Breathe in , breathe out, deep breaths and this is a good place to begin.
Mooseketeer,first let me say good morning to you and it is good to see you here sitting among us,you will probably notice that I do not say a lot when sitting within the sacred circle,I will generally sit and listen before saying anything,this is the way of my culture,I do not respond without first thinking about what I am going to say and then I choose my words very carefully so as not to cause any disrespect and then I usually phrased my responses in the form of a question so as to give others a chance to respond,this is how I learn from others and at the same time there is no disrespect,it is a process that takes many years to learn how to do,at the same time I learned to pick and choose (for lack of a better word) my battles.I will not waste my time nor the other person's time if in the course of a discussion there is nothing to learn or to teach and unfortunately there have been times such as that, and then I will wish that individual well and depart from the discussion in a respectful manner.This is the way of my culture.As an old Irish friend of mine (a little humor here) once explained to me the definition of Irish Diplomacy,Irish Diplomacy is the ability of telling an individual to go to hell and him looking forward to the trip........like I said a little humor.osay

Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Ptsum is that a little like "killing them with kindness"

Good Pasture, what a wonderful post..My morning is so much happier now..That is why this circle is so important and such a blesing to me..Respect and tolerance and wise advice...

Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Mooseketeer,first let me say good morning to you and it is good to see you here sitting among us,you will probably notice that I do not say a lot when sitting within the sacred circle,I will generally sit and listen before saying anything,this is the way of my culture,I do not respond without first thinking about what I am going to say and then I choose my words very carefully so as not to cause any disrespect and then I usually phrased my responses in the form of a question so as to give others a chance to respond,this is how I learn from others and at the same time there is no disrespect,it is a process that takes many years to learn how to do,at the same time I learned to pick and choose (for lack of a better word) my battles.I will not waste my time nor the other person's time if in the course of a discussion there is nothing to learn or to teach and unfortunately there have been times such as that, and then I will wish that individual well and depart from the discussion in a respectful manner.This is the way of my culture.As an old Irish friend of mine (a little humor here) once explained to me the definition of Irish Diplomacy,Irish Diplomacy is the ability of telling an individual to go to hell and him looking forward to the trip........like I said a little humor.osay

Thank you. I do need to pick up my battles. That has always been a problem of mine. I was always brought up to stand up for what I believe in and in the process have also forgotten that sometimes people are not ready to listen or more crucially that shouting back makes the din twice as bad !

But I am trying. I am a Celt and we externalise everything, it can be a wonderful cleansing way to be sometimes, but also passions can run high, so high we lose sight of perspective ! But I suppose at least I am self aware enough to see my own shortcomings... It's a begining I hope. I am much calmer than I would have been 20 years ago, though frustration is a great danger.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,586 times
Quote:
...As an old Irish friend of mine (a little humor here) once explained to me the definition of Irish Diplomacy,Irish Diplomacy is the ability of telling an individual to go to hell and him looking forward to the trip........like I said a little humor.osay*
Ah, the old Irish Diplomacy. I had to laugh at your reminder of this, Ptsum. Being of mostly Celtic bloodlines, it definitely strikes a chord.

As usual, I've been reading everyone's posts, and I agree, that it's always nice to come here, even if I don't have anything to say. I just enjoy being here. As Mooseketeer mentioned, this is a good place to breathe in, and breathe out. Since losing my husband, (coming up on the six-month mark, in April), I have had to learn to do just exactly that, breathe, one moment at a time. It's not as easy as one thinks. But, like the rest of you, I find our circle to be a good place to do that, and I am always glad to be here. I have found that it's generally a waste of time, on many of the other threads, as it seems things frequently get heated, and pointless. I pick my battles, if I feel I must cross swords with someone. Our circle is still my favorite place to be, here on the CD forum.

And, on that note, I'll be leaving y'all tomorrow, for a couple of weeks, so I will be saying even less than I usually do. My son and I are going on a two-week trip to Germany, and Ireland. My daughter and her husband, (he's in the Air Force), and their two boys are stationed there, but they are coming back state-side in June, (after five years in Germany), so this will be our only chance to go. She's always wanted us to come, but we never had a chance.

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about going. I look forward to it, but since it's not something I would have done with my husband, (we had neither the money, nor the time), it's kind of another kick-in-the-head reminder, (as if I needed one), that I have to move forward through the rest of my life without him. But, I know he would want me to go. So, mixed feelings and all, we are going, and I'm going to do my best to enjoy it. I probably won't check in here, at least, not to actually post, since we are going to be on the go, continually, until we get back. Know that I'll miss you. Y'all take care...

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Ah, the old Irish Diplomacy. I had to laugh at your reminder of this, Ptsum. Being of mostly Celtic bloodlines, it definitely strikes a chord.

As usual, I've been reading everyone's posts, and I agree, that it's always nice to come here, even if I don't have anything to say. I just enjoy being here. As Mooseketeer mentioned, this is a good place to breathe in, and breathe out. Since losing my husband, (coming up on the six-month mark, in April), I have had to learn to do just exactly that, breathe, one moment at a time. It's not as easy as one thinks. But, like the rest of you, I find our circle to be a good place to do that, and I am always glad to be here. I have found that it's generally a waste of time, on many of the other threads, as it seems things frequently get heated, and pointless. I pick my battles, if I feel I must cross swords with someone. Our circle is still my favorite place to be, here on the CD forum.

And, on that note, I'll be leaving y'all tomorrow, for a couple of weeks, so I will be saying even less than I usually do. My son and I are going on a two-week trip to Germany, and Ireland. My daughter and her husband, (he's in the Air Force), and their two boys are stationed there, but they are coming back state-side in June, (after five years in Germany), so this will be our only chance to go. She's always wanted us to come, but we never had a chance.

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about going. I look forward to it, but since it's not something I would have done with my husband, (we had neither the money, nor the time), it's kind of another kick-in-the-head reminder, (as if I needed one), that I have to move forward through the rest of my life without him. But, I know he would want me to go. So, mixed feelings and all, we are going, and I'm going to do my best to enjoy it. I probably won't check in here, at least, not to actually post, since we are going to be on the go, continually, until we get back. Know that I'll miss you. Y'all take care...
CelticLady, may the journey your about to undertake be a safe and enjoyable one.osay

Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,586 times
Quote:
CelticLady, may the journey your about to undertake be a safe and enjoyable one.osay
Thank you, Ptsum! I really appreciate it! I'm looking forward to being here, in our circle, once more, when I return. Perhaps I'll even have an interesting little story, or two, to share. Now, I have to finish packing, and cleaning the house. Fond thoughts for all of you!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:50 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Celtic, so good to see you again. You have stayed in my thoughts and prayers these past six months..What a wonderful journey for you and your son.. I am sure, as you said, your H would approve and not want you to miss such a great trip..I long to visit Ireland,my Gramma's homeland. My sister has visited there a couple times and was able to find relatives..Be happy, my friend

Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Today we are going to have a guy come over and finish the chicken coop. This weekend we will be having a grandchild visiting and we are going to get him some chicks. I walked around today after the wind and the snow and the rain and the hail of the last few days. It will be in the 60's today. It is bright, sunny, redbuds and dogwoods are almost completely in bloom. I see blooms budding on the fruit trees.

This weekend the ladies of the wolf clan are having their traditional wild onion and eggs breakfast..............

Life can be good, can't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality