Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 PM

39 posts, read 84,595 times

Advertisements

Saralvr - they have Thirsty Thursday - a chance to met neighbors. We went to one in May and it was good. Then they had a luau the next week. Then they changed locations from the 'kitchen' (Heritage Loop side) to the pool and it wasn't the same. People just sat at the tables and didn't really mingle with others. Haven't been back since. Last night it rained so it was cancelled. But - from what I hear - it is better when they hold them over on the 'kitchen' side. They usually go back over there in the fall. I think we need to get a committee together to help improve things but I didn't suggest it because I am still in the moving in stage.

We spent a GREAT day at The Point in Garden City and came home and road bikes with our next door neighbors up to The Market Common to have a late dinner. We just LOVE it here - being able to ride up there at night - it just works for us!

I know you both will enjoy it here. Enjoy your stay, expatCA - make sure you spend time in The Market Common area - it has your name calling! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 PM

33 posts, read 72,198 times
Hi, I was just wondering if you have settled in & how do you like it so far? Cons & pros so far. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 PM

Hi Tracy ~

It will be 3 months on the 29th and yes, we did make the right decision. It was hard moving and all that entailed but I finally feel like I can now enjoy it here.

Pros:

1. The Market Common location and all that it offers - restaurants and shops.
2. Emmens Preserve community.
3. Great pool for Emmens with cardio room.
4. Three miles from beach.
5. Easy place to ride bikes. We even ride at night up to Market Common sometimes.
6. We have great neighbors on either side of us.
7. I found it very convenient for shopping - 6 to 7 minutes either way on 17 Bypass.
8. Found some organic sources. Taking time to figure it all out but it is coming along.
9. I can take my kayak to the lake in Market Common. I only did that once - just don't have enough time to do everything I want to do!
10. Many activities around the area - I did a photography meet-up and a kayak trip.
11. Going to the Farmers Market in The Market Common on Saturdays.
12. Only two hours away from Charleston - I claimed it as our new Annapolis but larger!
13. New adventure - so many places to go and things to do.
14. I haven't felt that traffic is bad here - I came from the Annapolis, Baltimore and DC area - now that was traffic!

I'm sure there are many more Pros but these are probably the most important ones. HHHMMMM - not too many cons!

Cons:

1. No Trader Joe's or Whole Foods but learning how to make up for that. My son lives in Wilmington, so I give him my Trader Joe's grocery list when he is coming down. So far he has been here 3 times.
2. I have never seen so many people go through red traffic lights. It's CRAZY!
3. I am looking forward to going back to Maryland for a reunion - I can pick up the things I can't find here. A lot of people say they miss the things from back where they came from. That will keep me happy for a while but it really isn't a big deal.

I will add to the list if I think of any. Are you thinking of moving here?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 AM

215 posts, read 546,011 times
In the local news today:

Security shakeup causes concern for The Market Common residents
Security shakeup causes concern for The Market Common residents : News : CarolinaLive.com

Old 07-30-2014, 11:00 AM

I shared your link dlcamp on our local forum and this is a reply that was just posted:

I think the idea is innovative. From what I can see, you will get more bang for the buck, and the term "ambassador", denotes good will. Throw in security, and you get a friendly face, and someone who you can relate to, and feel they have your security in mind. Personally I feel this elevates a security guard to a more professional level.
Old ways can always be improved. For those concerned, I would say you will get a lot more, and be happy for the change.
I will make it a point to talk to them.
I was brought into a correctional institution
Administration, to solve problems, and write policy. I dealt with strange people and lots of law enforcement.. My take, if reading this properly, is that Brooke is on the right track. She needs to get "people persons", out into the Commons, that are visible and friendly.
In my opinion
Thanks
Ron Campbell

Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moringa129 View Post
Hi Tracy ~

It will be 3 months on the 29th and yes, we did make the right decision. It was hard moving and all that entailed but I finally feel like I can now enjoy it here.

Pros:

1. The Market Common location and all that it offers - restaurants and shops.
2. Emmens Preserve community.
3. Great pool for Emmens with cardio room.
4. Three miles from beach.
5. Easy place to ride bikes. We even ride at night up to Market Common sometimes.
6. We have great neighbors on either side of us.
7. I found it very convenient for shopping - 6 to 7 minutes either way on 17 Bypass.
8. Found some organic sources. Taking time to figure it all out but it is coming along.
9. I can take my kayak to the lake in Market Common. I only did that once - just don't have enough time to do everything I want to do!
10. Many activities around the area - I did a photography meet-up and a kayak trip.
11. Going to the Farmers Market in The Market Common on Saturdays.
12. Only two hours away from Charleston - I claimed it as our new Annapolis but larger!
13. New adventure - so many places to go and things to do.
14. I haven't felt that traffic is bad here - I came from the Annapolis, Baltimore and DC area - now that was traffic!

I'm sure there are many more Pros but these are probably the most important ones. HHHMMMM - not too many cons!

Cons:

1. No Trader Joe's or Whole Foods but learning how to make up for that. My son lives in Wilmington, so I give him my Trader Joe's grocery list when he is coming down. So far he has been here 3 times.
2. I have never seen so many people go through red traffic lights. It's CRAZY!
3. I am looking forward to going back to Maryland for a reunion - I can pick up the things I can't find here. A lot of people say they miss the things from back where they came from. That will keep me happy for a while but it really isn't a big deal.

I will add to the list if I think of any. Are you thinking of moving here?
Hi,

Yes we are. I really like the Arbor collection. I visited the area last year checking out all of the different communities in the area. I loved EP the best. The lot I liked wasn't available yet & now it was sold. But, there are still a few we may consider.

I am planning another trip in early September, flights & car booked.... I saw a few new gas communities in the area so I am planning on checking those out when we come. We also have friends that are very interested in moving as well & they are coming with us. They all let me do all of the research first!

I am not near retirement age yet, but I do want to purchase now & use it for all of our vacations & then move permanently. My hubby doesn't like change, so I figure we will do it slowly. The company I work for is also now looking into the ITAP park & other areas in MB to move our facility or to open a satellite lab. I have been speaking about it so much, I have interested them as well. (It is a small family owned business that recently has been expanding).

We are from central NJ & although I do like it here, I am really tired of the property taxes & traffic!!! I know MB has traffic as well, but it wasn't anything what I deal with on a daily basis!!!

Is it true you can ride your bike or take a golf cart to the beach? I only drove it via car last time we were there & it only took a few minutes, but I would rather not have to drive my car to the beach. (Heck I do that now!!)

Thanks in advance & I'm glad you like it there!!!

ps I'm interested in the Crepe Myrtle, how is the quality & have you had to have them come in & fix or replace anything as of yet? (I would hope not!!)

Well maybe I will run into you when we are there!!

Thanks,

Tracy

Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 PM

Well we pulled the trigger & went for it today!! We have looked at many communities over the past couple of years, but I have loved EP since the first time I saw it in person. They said it will be about 8 months before the house is built, but we aren't in a rush, but we are psyched!! Randolph Court here we come! (Right now it is just a pile of dirt.)

Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 AM

538 posts, read 1,009,642 times
Congrats, and welcome to the beach.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Thank you!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:57 AM

73 posts, read 111,400 times
Congratulations on your new home-- We also are looking to move and retire in the next year can you tell me the HOA fees for EP? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area