Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

I've been driving by this little road just off Falls of Neuse and Raven Ridge Dr, and finally saw a nature preserve sign up the other day. I've stopped in before, but the gates were closed. Today, they were open, so I went inside for a look.

This is Raleigh's first nature preserve park, a section of 157 acres left by the late Dr. Annie Louise Wilkerson to the residents of Raleigh.

This is not meant to be a general recreation area but more of a study/contemplation area where they will hold educational programs and have 2 trails as of now - one through the woods/forest and one out in the open. There's a small play area with tree stumps and walking stones for the kids to play on, a covered picnic area, and lots of open space. They've got a decent amount of parking and even an electric vehicle slot complete with charging station. The park office is very nice and contains all the info you might need.

Here's the official website for it:

Annie Louise Wilkerson, MD Nature Preserve Park - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

and here are some photos I took on a trip there with my daughter from this morning on our way back from the pediatrician:

I apologize for the poor quality of my photos. I'm still using a very old smartphone but about to upgrade so my "mobile" photos will get a lot better soon

Street signs at entrance:

Preserve sign:

Electric vehicle parking/charging station

Park fields:

Old building on property across from park office and adjacent to 2nd parking area:

Park map provided by park office:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 04:51 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
Thank you for posting these! I'm one of the many babies delivered by Dr. Annie Louise Wilkerson! (Dr. Anne as she was commonly called.) I was so happy to hear that she left this land to the city, and was wondering whatever became of that. I might have to trek up there to see it!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Thank you for posting these! I'm one of the many babies delivered by Dr. Annie Louise Wilkerson! (Dr. Anne as she was commonly called.) I was so happy to hear that she left this land to the city, and was wondering whatever became of that. I might have to trek up there to see it!
Wonderful

Back in Miami, where I'm from, my Grandfather was a well known pediatrician and left a legacy similar to that of Dr. Wilkerson, from the sounds of it. Great people serving society - it doesn't get any better.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:31 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Wonderful

Back in Miami, where I'm from, my Grandfather was a well known pediatrician and left a legacy similar to that of Dr. Wilkerson, from the sounds of it. Great people serving society - it doesn't get any better.
I'm in both Miami and Raleigh…what sort of legacy did your grandfather leave?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:06 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Nice story!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm in both Miami and Raleigh…what sort of legacy did your grandfather leave?
Nothing public except several generations of happy and healthy families. He served many long hours during his career and we could never go anywhere at all without someone stopping him and saying "hey, Dr. (last name), wonderful to see you" and usually that person would have at least one younger generation with them that he also took care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary