Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM

984 posts, read 4,315,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Oh cool, man

Would it be possible to add just one more color? Just one? like a bridge between the light green and the blue?
But it must be a proper and nice area - you know that already though - where that should be done? Do you have any other ideas for the Greater Kendall/West Kendall Area (as you live by that area)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Skylake should be solid green, not blue

That area called "east end" in North Miami Beach should be yellow, with the area west of there blue or even light green. The worst streets are "blue", but it is mostly an orthodox Jewish enclave.

The neighborhood going south of 159th street, north of 151st street, west of 16th ave and east of 14th Ave in North Miami Beach is beyond horrible. Lots of drugs. Should be an orange.

Richmond heights should be blue.

Looks fantastic otherwise.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM

The Skylake area is actually one that I was going to change today, what I was planning was to put a light green on the apt. complexes and some houses near it, and in the area with houses and other lakes (on the east side of the current Skylake area) the solid green.

The North Miami Beach tips are good ones, I don't have that much experience there; but you really think all of the orange area should be turned yellow? I've had to even turn on some flood light style flashlights one time there - unsavory suspicious guys near that Wal-Mart - after that they entered a car and went away. And the crime stats are quite bad.

Richmond Heights I was in doubt since I first started (between the yellow and the blue), so I'll turn it to blue.

And thanks for the support!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,193,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
But it must be a proper and nice area - you know that already though - where that should be done? Do you have any other ideas for the Greater Kendall/West Kendall Area (as you live by that area)?
Yeah, I'm familiar with most of the Blue sections in Dade , thoug I think some of them should'nt be place at the same level.

The area around the city library (the main one) shouldn't be blue... same goes for the adjacent area south of the river.

Jackson area does feel like an oasis and if you are a pedestrian and move around the city on foot you would see Jackson as a resting place with not so much turmoil, but I wouldn't consider it BLUE. Walk around the area and you find not so desirable people. I crossed the bridge many times to Little Havana, but with caution...

Blue northwest 36st shouldn't be blue either... more like not so yellow, because of its proximity to a hip place.

Actually I would add a second color for non residential areas like Jackson and some parts of Medley labeled as "non-residential, safety might vary according to their adjacent areas"

If blue describes neighborhoods like the ones above, then nothing in Kendall (east to west) remotely resembles the type of atmosphere you find in those areas.

I'm very familiar with Coral way (20'S) and the Miami Beach area (around the 70's) too. Areas around Barry Uni, Westchester, eastern side of Fountaniblue and adjacent areas of Flagami are almost at the same level.

These are the real blues (borderline safe) ^^^^.

Actually, nothing in Kendall should be labeled as "borderline" safe. Only locally infamous 152nd av, north of 88 and south of 72nd - the baddest of the baddest in Kendall. The only acceptable blue in all of Kendall. That's not the case with the rest of the Blue labeled areas of Kendall though. Things could even out a little if you label them with a color in between Light Green and Blue.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
The Skylake area is actually one that I was going to change today, what I was planning was to put a light green on the apt. complexes and some houses near it, and in the area with houses and other lakes (on the east side of the current Skylake area) the solid green.
The apartment/condo complexes probably do deserve a blue. The rest a solid green.

Quote:
The North Miami Beach tips are good ones, I don't have that much experience there; but you really think all of the orange area should be turned yellow? I've had to even turn on some flood light style flashlights one time there - unsavory suspicious guys near that Wal-Mart - after that they entered a car and went away. And the crime stats are quite bad.
The old mall/Walmart area can get rough for sure and the store itself is a magnet for crime. It's not nearly as bad as the other area I mentioned, though. I'd go with a yellow for the rental housing areas and blue west of there in the single-family home area to 6th Ave.

Quote:
Richmond Heights I was in doubt since I first started (between the yellow and the blue), so I'll turn it to blue.
It isn't a great looking area, but it's home to mostly working people and doesn't have much of a crime element element. It is a tough choice!

Quote:
And thanks for the support!
Your welcome!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Great tips, I'm putting them into action as I write, and the rest throughout today.

To WINTERFRONT, the only two details is that another color would probably be not a choice (I'll consider though) - my map already has about two times as many colors as Crisp444's hehehe - but I will write something in the description to differentiate the Non-Residential areas; the JMH area is a tough call, because nowadays there are a few new residential developments in the area. And I have doubts about the SW 107th Ave area in Kendall, I know a couple of people there and they don't recommend at all. Most apt. complexes there have loads of issues (including crime). Although I will revise the area.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
@jacobmaxx

I really want to thank you for doing this, being a local native and shopping for a house in this heated market this work is very valuable. If we don't get our dream home in whispering pines ( insurance, home repairs and just the freaky strange market of seller gets all) I will refer to your map for our next try of getting a house before we are priced out. Thank you!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,182 times
You are correct. I used to live across the st from Miller Park and that neighborhood between 92nd and 97th was nicer than where I live in Miller/Olympia Heights. I used to have friends that lived over there and if I remember correctly the enclave across the street from the park had a surrounding wall with a Green Briar sign . As you headed east towards lake cataline and caroline it got nicer yet. In the heights most of the homes were 3 BR 1 BA while in those neighborhoods the homes were mostly 4/2 with more pools and bigger yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I think you did really good with this map but maybe some areas or rather "pockets" need to be pointed out. For example from 92 ave east to tropical park along miller road is a very nice area with a lot of mansions, especially around catalina lake. Also from 102 ave to say 97 ave from miller road south up to sunset very big lots with 800k homes. I am only stating this because I have lived in that area for over thirty years and went to some of the schools so I am very familiar with the wealth pockets.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 PM

229 posts, read 533,758 times
Besides the idiotic blue color this is a great map. Good job, Jacob.

Now make two for the other South Florida counties.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM

Again, thanks a ton to y'all for the support and the suggestions also. I implemented most changes today, but will do two or three tomorrow as to deem this map next week to be the Final Version (with updates in the future, obviously).

And TriCounty, I already have plans for making a Broward version, will start to put it into action soon. First I'll fully complete this one, and get some opinions/suggestions for the Broward one in the FTL forum, as I have some questions about some areas. A Palm Beach one is a possibility, I have some knowledge about that County, but not as nearly as much as Miami-Dade and Broward. And the blue color thing, I know it's not ideal at all; but I tried some other ones and they seem to cause more confusion and would be even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami