Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 PM

15 posts, read 71,513 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've followed this site for quite some time. I used it to get information before interning in Miami this past summer, and I am now taking a permanent job in the summer with the same employer. I subleased this summer in Axis (gorgeous building), and enjoyed the Brickell area and Miami in general.

Now that the move will be long term, I would like to find an area that really fits me. I've spent undergrad and law school in Iowa City, a liberal college town of about 100,000. I really enjoy the downtown pedestrian mall area here of shops, bars, and theaters. There is a great cultural energy about the area, it feels like the Lincoln Park area of northside Chicago. As much as I enjoyed Brickell, it obviously lacked this feel.

Miami is quite a different monster as I'm well aware, but there are some areas that have been recommended to me: SoBe/SoFi, Design District, Coconut Grove, etc. I'm making the move on a salary of $40,000, which shrinks substantially with $500/month student loan payments. I'm looking at less than 2k/month to budget with.

About me: single 26 year old male, graduating law school in May. I love sports, the music and art scenes, and just getting out and experiencing the local area. I'm not into the hardcore 'coke & club' scene; I do like hitting bars and mingling and having some drinks.

I'm basically looking for a neighborhood where I can hit a coffee shop on the weekend, be near some great bars, have the option of doing some window shopping or doing some people watching in my spare time, and hopefully fitting into and being a part of the neighborhood. Can locals give some thoughts and recommendations? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Coconut Grove may be doable in your price range--though you might have to utilize sites like Craigslist to find smaller apartment complexes in the back streets (and also make sure you stay away from the "bad part" of the Grove, which is more or less the area between SW 32 Ave and US1).

Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
South Beach is your best bet for all your requirements. Brickell, Coconut Grove, The City of South Miami and Coral Gables will have most of your requirements. You may need to get a roommate in some of these area.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM

177 posts, read 405,602 times
South Beach, Coconut Grove, Design District, Coral Gables, and the MIA area are pretty expensive. Just like the posting above I suggest you get a roommate for maybe a 6 month lease and then branch off on your own. In Miami Shores you can get a 1bed for $800 and drive about 15-20 to get to Brickell if thats something you want to do.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 PM

15 posts, read 71,513 times
Thank you for the input. These are many of the areas that I had in mind after being in town this past summer. After doing some price shopping I'm thinking that finding a roommate will be a necessity unless I go the commuter route, which I am going to try to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami