Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:09 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in any opinions, good bad & ugly. Does Broward have less of the problems than Dade? Is there more of a mix of differerent people there? Is one county more affordable than the other (leaving out all slum areas and ghettos)?
I know I'm talking about two large counties but I don't know enough about the specific towns to get down to that level.

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 06:44 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,153 times
we were up in broward last weekend playing tourist.
did lion country safari, butterfly world and an indian food place (the place we ate at the ramada in tampa was still better though)

looks MORE like america but not as much as orlando did. more variety of foods and stores.
still crazy drivers though.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
You really have to cross the county line to Palm Beach for things to start looking like "America."

The demographics are changing very very fast with all the immigration into Broward.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Leaving aside the whole Spanish thing, is the reason some people complain about Broward the costs and because it's too built up? too many people? I'm confused because some people here seem to think Broward is good, others hate it.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:38 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,153 times
its a gradient. your tolerance level of the mayhem based on how south you live. in 5-10 years broward will be at miami's level. 10-15 years palm beach, 15-20 orlando. places turn ghetto, americans move north and are replaced by ghetto people from further south. repeat endlessly

had an interesting talk with a friend's mom when we visited orlando.
her name was eunice, old school southernor and wonderful old lady
said that a long time ago they used to call miami 'jerusalem' because it was all jewish before the latins took it over. now she hears about how crazy it is down there.
she was having trouble getting someone to work on her house because they all were incompetant spanish-speaking people and if you hired a large company they would hire the local labor anyway. so it seems even in orlando the same sort of miami stuff is just beginning.

a friend of mine who moved from fort lauderdale to orlando had this to say:

"Orlando has its good points and bad points, all depending on where you live. I live outside of town, in the suburbs, and really like it a lot. Since I don't have to drive I-4, my drive to and from work isn't that bad -- even if it is 45 min each way. The people driving around me drive fairly normal, though like all of Florida, at excessive speeds.

The neighborhoods here are pretty good, at least where I'm at. I've been told that my area is like an island of just really nice people. I know my neighbors and they're all really nice. However, if you go down to the Kissimee area on a Friday night, there are tons of kids of all ages just wandering around... I wouldn't consider it a bad thing, but it just reminds me a little much of S. Fla. Housing is less expensive down there, so it's understandable that it would be like that I suppose."

Old 06-10-2007, 07:48 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
You really have to cross the county line to Palm Beach for things to start looking like "America."

The demographics are changing very very fast with all the immigration into Broward.
What the hell are you talking about? Areas of Palm Beach such as West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, Latana, and Palm Springs have much higher percentage of hispanics than the cities in Broward. There are many illegal immigrants in Lake Worth especially, Broward does not have as big of a problem as this. Most of the Hispanics in Broward are legal ones or have moved there from Dade. By crossing the line if you mean rich and high class Boca Raton are you are right, but if you mean Palm Beach County as a whole you are dead wrong buddy.

Also, the gang problems in Palm Beach County are worse than anywhere in the state, and it is now considered the most dangerous county in the state (Dade is #2 though).

All it takes for you to feel like a minority is a trip to the local Palm Beach Mall, where barely anyone is white non-hispanic.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM

thanks Cixel--I am considering Orlando as well. Actually I would prefer it for various reasons, although I'm considering south Fla as well if a job works out there--I figure I could rent in So. Fla for a year or two and if it's intolerable try to move to some other part of Fla. Everyone on here seems to say Orlando has some nice suburbs, but not to live near the core of Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
its a gradient. your tolerance level of the mayhem based on how south you live. in 5-10 years broward will be at miami's level. 10-15 years palm beach, 15-20 orlando. places turn ghetto, americans move north and are replaced by ghetto people from further south. repeat endlessly

had an interesting talk with a friend's mom when we visited orlando.
her name was eunice, old school southernor and wonderful old lady
said that a long time ago they used to call miami 'jerusalem' because it was all jewish before the latins took it over. now she hears about how crazy it is down there.
she was having trouble getting someone to work on her house because they all were incompetant spanish-speaking people and if you hired a large company they would hire the local labor anyway. so it seems even in orlando the same sort of miami stuff is just beginning.

a friend of mine who moved from fort lauderdale to orlando had this to say:

"Orlando has its good points and bad points, all depending on where you live. I live outside of town, in the suburbs, and really like it a lot. Since I don't have to drive I-4, my drive to and from work isn't that bad -- even if it is 45 min each way. The people driving around me drive fairly normal, though like all of Florida, at excessive speeds.

The neighborhoods here are pretty good, at least where I'm at. I've been told that my area is like an island of just really nice people. I know my neighbors and they're all really nice. However, if you go down to the Kissimee area on a Friday night, there are tons of kids of all ages just wandering around... I wouldn't consider it a bad thing, but it just reminds me a little much of S. Fla. Housing is less expensive down there, so it's understandable that it would be like that I suppose."

Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
I have noticed a lot of people from around Palm Beach County are moving up to the Orlando area. Many of my friends have moved there recently so there must be something nice up there that I'm missing here

Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM

It would seem attractive to me because a) it's at least in theory more shielded from the hurricanes than coastal areas b) it's central so you can travel easily to other parts of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I have noticed a lot of people from around Palm Beach County are moving up to the Orlando area. Many of my friends have moved there recently so there must be something nice up there that I'm missing here

Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
I'm familiar with boca, delray beach, boynton beach, wellington, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens.

All are nice areas. Obviously, every county has ghettos and undesirable areas that you don't go to. I wouldn't recommend living in Riviera Beach for instance or many parts of West Palm Beach.

But in my experience Palm Beach county has more nice areas than Dade or Broward as a whole.

Maybe your perspective is skewed cause of where you live in PB County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami