Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Talking abut forest fires, the smoke you saw up on Roman Nose, Toyman, where did it come from? Any big fires right now in NID? I read about the Emmett fire ...Down here we're headed into our fire season now, with 100+ degree temps... On the upside, we've been taking our dog to the beach at sunset, and that's been just beautiful! But then we head home inland to the cauldron...
With all the "old" 2nd growth timbers around our property in Clark Fork it doesn't look like fires are all that frequent. The locals we talked to said the fires have been mostly in the backcountry. So, keeping our fingers crossed!
Hi CFF,

That day there were fires in central Washington, I think around the Okinagan (sp?) area. There were some up in BC earlier that were blowing smoke down this way. It only lasted a day or 2 and cleared up. I think I'll ride up there again next weekend if the weather's clear, the views should be awesome. We've had a quite fire season here in NID, it's been a pretty wet summer by our standards. About the time things have gotten really dry a storm has blown through and dropped some rain. Most summers, by now fields are really brown.

Hey, who's going to the NID fair this weekend? We're heading over Friday after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Hi CFF,

Hey, who's going to the NID fair this weekend? We're heading over Friday after work.
I forgot the fair! We went several years because the kids were 4Hers and had sheep in it. Then horses took over, but next year the youngest (14) is doing sheep or a meat goat again. I love the demolition derby. I worked the snack bar for our club a couple of years and fritos with chili and cheese were a new north Idaho experience for me.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,361 times
I love country fairs. As a kid some of my best memories are of the Farmers Fair near us every year. We'll be hitting all the Fairs in striking distance and it looks like there are plenty!! I can smell the corn dogs and cotton candy already.. Cheese on a stick, freshly made lemonade.. Oh yeah..

Old 08-30-2009, 11:54 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
So did anybody do the NID fair? We missed it a few years ago--we watched it on TV from Sandpoint instead. The kids looked so happy with their prize animals! I like those country fairs, too.
Toyman, thanks for explaining the smoke. I think Trace, Fisherman and the other Idafornians here will agree that we tend to get very nervous if there's any hint of fire danger...
I'm sitting here by the computer with our new portable air conditioner which we broke down and bought today after having resisted the temptation for 10 years in this house! 92 degrees indoors and 100 outside finally got to us ...but they say it'll be a cool 88 tomorrow! Have a good Monday, everybody!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,614 times
CFF,
I have been watching channel five news. Believe it or not it is part of the dish package up here. The fires are the worst I have seen in a long time. They are burning near my brother in laws place in Yucaipa. That is about 25 miles from where I used to live.

God Bless and stay safe.....

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 AM

Coming back from NID as soon as we hit Vegas the smoke was unreal.. I thought to myself "welcome home"..

We are right near two of the fires but they look pretty much under control now.. Who knows what will come in the days ahead.. The whole state is a tinder box.. I would sure hate to see if anyone ever orchestrated something on windy day... Its a pretty terrible thought.

On the bright side we should be out of here soon, and had an incredible time in ID....

BTW can it get any freakin hotter? Its been up to 115 around here.. And not a dry heat either..

Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
If you like fairs, I think you'll like the NID one. Its held at the fairgrounds in CDA, off Government way, it's pretty good sized for the size of town. Pretty much all the local communities do something on a smaller scale as well. The Spokane County fair is coming up in the next week or so, it's just off Broadway, maybe 10 miles across the state line. Quite a bit bigger event.

TR-115 degrees? That can't be fun.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM

17 posts, read 47,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
You dont want a view of me buddy, but I could see a nice overlook of lake CdA.. Heck if Nat. Geographic called it one of the 5 prettiest alpine lakes in the world thats good enough for us and a bottle of 18YO Lagavulin..

Actually some of the most amazing scenery and views for me are near my property on the edge of the Palouse region.. The rolling hills and colorfull fields trimmed with pine tree's and mountains with all the color contrast is absolutely incredible.. Its like the worlds biggest golf course..

Its hard to pick any one place up there.. Its all just so beautiful...
Lagavoulin--the besssst!! Peat man peat!! kant afford it , though. Smokey , ooh

Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
CFF,
I have been watching channel five news. Believe it or not it is part of the dish package up here. The fires are the worst I have seen in a long time. They are burning near my brother in laws place in Yucaipa. That is about 25 miles from where I used to live.

God Bless and stay safe.....
Thanks, Fisherman! Sending good thoughts to your brother...
We're well south of the major fires, in San Diego County. We're monitoring the situation--and this isn't even our dry Santa Ana season yet! Our area was so hard hit in 2003 and 2007--we've become used to fearing the worst and hoping for the best, I guess...

We didn't quite reach 115 degrees this time--only 105! Now we're seeing the first clouds from the hurrycane in Mexico...I think I'll just imagine a nice cool morning on Misty's porch, first cold snap, the sound of the wind in the pines...sigh...

Old 09-05-2009, 02:02 AM

Fingers crossed for the REAL fire season.... Santa Ana's will bring the nasty this year Im thinkin...
Im glad to say I wont be here for that... Good luck friends and neighbors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho