Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 02:21 PM

151 posts, read 459,561 times

Advertisements

I've been visiting this website for over a year now and I'm telling you, deciding on where to live in the near future has never been more difficult. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to northern Idaho, eastern Washington or anywhere on the front range of Colorado. Winters don't bother me; in fact, I prefer the cold weather. After all, cold air keeps out the riff raff so they say. Furthermore, the cost of living appear to be similiar. My biggest concern is that I want to be within walking distance of pretty much everything I need, like food, clothing, the usual things we in the 21st century can't live without. Coeur D'Alene from what I've heard from others as well as seen online looks beautiful, but of course, you actually need to be there. Same is true for Spokane Valley, and anywhere on the front range in Colorado. If anyone can add some pros and cons for me, I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:22 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Spokane Valley...beautiful? Have you been there?

Old 06-08-2008, 07:57 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGerardo View Post
I prefer the cold weather. After all, cold air keeps out the riff raff so they say.
Who says that and what do they mean???

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Spokane Valley...beautiful? Have you been there?

Well, good to know I'm not the only one that questioned that.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:02 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
I think North Idaho blows anyplace in Colorado out of the water.. I've spent quite a bit of time in both area's and I just think N. Idaho is much prettier, and the crazy way the laws in Colorado are going tell me I dont want to live there anyway.
It sounds like you would really appreciate a town like CDA too.
BTW I wouldnt say Spokane valley is ugly by any means. At least what I have seen of it was very nice compared to my current location in So Cal.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:16 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Yech. Arid, brown hills, endless strip malls and the seething masses of suburbia. Hardly a comparison to north Idaho. Unless maybe parts of Hayden and Post Falls.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:48 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
I think North Idaho blows anyplace in Colorado out of the water.. I've spent quite a bit of time in both area's and I just think N. Idaho is much prettier, and the crazy way the laws in Colorado are going tell me I dont want to live there anyway.
It sounds like you would really appreciate a town like CDA too.
BTW I wouldnt say Spokane valley is ugly by any means. At least what I have seen of it was very nice compared to my current location in So Cal.
Your right Colorado is just growing too fast, the state grew by about 30% in the 90-00 alone, it's currently like most of the country at a slow down period but still growing at a decent rate until the next boom cycle after 2010. Personally I would live in Fort Collins, CO it is very convenient a lil college town great restaurants and eco-friendly walking distance to everywhere, back in the days was at 100,000 people and soon to be about 300,000 people in the near future.

Much like WY, MT, ID we are also a libertarian state however the influx of population in recent years will undoubtabely raise higher taxes and cost of living and rules and regulations making it a left-leaning state, about 20% of our population are Californians making it a lil pocket colony for Californication. I believe the pricing of Idaho Falls and Spokane are actually less expensive, Idaho Falls being the smaller town and Spokane the larger town, I would go with Idaho Falls or somewhere in between in Northern Idaho as E. Washington unfortunately still suffers from some of the bureaucracy of the state mainly located along the Pacific coast. N. Idaho would be the best long-term investment.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:22 PM

151 posts, read 459,561 times
Default I would definitely consider Coeur D'Alene

I may buy either land or a small condo there near the lake. I've heard more negatives about Colorado than positives, so it looks like northern Idaho is the place to be. I wonder if there are any former Chicagoans who made the move. I would definitely appreciate their input as well. If I can get an online business started, then employment opportunities there would be a non-issue.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,843 times
Default Idaho

We currently live in Colorado and are thinking about moving to Idaho in the future. We have lived in Colorado all our lives. It is becoming a place we don't want to raise our kids in anymore. The last several years it seems like crime has gone through the roof. The city we live in has so much welfare. The only stores this town can support is WalMart and dollar stores. I hate being so negative about it, but I used to love my state and now I can't believe we are wanting to leave. We are planning a trip to Idaho Falls this month to check out the area.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 PM

29 posts, read 48,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navynukemom View Post
We currently live in Colorado and are thinking about moving to Idaho in the future. We have lived in Colorado all our lives. It is becoming a place we don't want to raise our kids in anymore. The last several years it seems like crime has gone through the roof. The city we live in has so much welfare. The only stores this town can support is WalMart and dollar stores. I hate being so negative about it, but I used to love my state and now I can't believe we are wanting to leave. We are planning a trip to Idaho Falls this month to check out the area.
What's scary and sad about this is that if it can happen in Colorado, it can and will happen here in Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho