Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:17 AM

17 posts, read 78,259 times

Advertisements

I am interested in finding out what people from Southern Idaho think of people from northern idaho and what northern people think of people of southern idaho. I live in Northern Idaho. From what I have noticed people from southern Idaho do not know much about the northern section of idaho and same goes for people up here not knowing much about southern Idaho. What is there to do for fun down there I have only been down there in the summer and it is always so hot and just flat deserts everywhere with rush hour traffic that I hate driving in. I personally could not imagine living with that many people around me grew up in a town of less than 1000 people. I also notice in the papers that there seems to be more crimes down there and also a increase in "gangs" if that what you can call them. I enjoy my mountains and being able to leave my doors unlocked at nights.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
I'm not certain which "southern" Idaho you're speaking of. I am in southeast Idaho; Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Shelly, Blackfoot, Ammon and a host of others are classified as southeast Idaho.

Twin Falls, Kimberly, Rupert, Burley would be under south central Idaho. The Boise area is southwest.

The area I'm in is high desert, no rush hour traffic (at least what I consider to be rush hour traffic) and there is plenty to do if you take a look at the post that reads Top Ten things to do in IF

I've been to northern ID, CdA etc and met some wonderful people there

Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 PM

66 posts, read 274,103 times
I've never been to northern Idaho, but will be making my first trip (to Post Falls) next weekend. Looking forward to it. I am from the Boise area.

Boise has grown and changed a lot in the last 20 years or so, as have the cities and towns around it. Despite what many say, I still think it's a great place to live. The traffic has gotten worse, but it's not bad at all compared to most cities this size and larger. The shopping and restaurant selections have consistently gotten better each year. I would say that the overall quality of life hasn't changed, we just now have to share it with more people.

I don't have any certain opinion or impression of people from northern Idaho, anymore than I have one of people from northern Wisconsin. I've never been to either. I'm looking forward to visiting that part of the state though.

The negatives... Crime. It's a fact of growth-the bad with the good, so to speak. You mentioned gangs, and yes they are more of a problem than they've been before. That problem will continue to get worse, even if nobody else moved here from another state starting today. It's a national trend. As much as it will chap most Idahoans, most of our gang members are and always have been home-grown.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,977 times
Gang bangers should all be placed in the Arizona Desert and made to live in tents. They have no place in society and cost the taxpayer a fortune.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM

89 posts, read 340,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Gang bangers should all be placed in the Arizona Desert and made to live in tents. They have no place in society and cost the taxpayer a fortune.
Why be so nice? Send them out on the Aleutian chain in Alaska!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 PM

291 posts, read 669,752 times
Crab bait!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 PM

17 posts, read 78,259 times
Most gang bangers are from Idaho? I would agree that most Aryan gang bangers were born and breed in Idaho but now the new hispanic gangs that are coming around are not from Idaho. Most of these hispanics that are in gangs are from california or Mexico or their parents moved up here from California or Mexico. I mean look at the Boise area 20 years ago there were not Mexican gangs down there or if there were they were not as large and a problem as they are now. I am from Northern Idaho and there are hardly any hispanics up here must be to cold not sure or to many rednecks. But I am seeing that crimes are starting to become more and more violent and frequent down in Boise just look at the idaho statesman they have a whole section of the paper dedicated to crime. What does everyone think of this and do you see the athorities doing anything to stop it down there.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:43 AM

It is a slow process like cancer. Normal people look the other way and go la la la about their lives, while the gangs start to proliferate. Next thing you know authorities and citizens alike are going "we didn't have any idea this was happening."

That is because people look the other way and say as long as it doesn't affect me I will be OK. I see it with a simple thing like graffiti. People say those are just taggers they are harmless. Those simple taggers are wandering around at night committing crimes in your community and you look the other way. That is your fault and it all comes down to what you will tolerate. If you are of the mindset that it is just art, then you should live in L.A. and get out of Idaho.

As of this time Idaho is still a clean and safe place to live. However when you get a bunch of kids standing around on a street corner with nothing to do you are going to have problems. Society cannot be the mother and father of these kids, it does not work. It takes a complete family unit to teach them what is right and what is wrong. Most gang bangers did not have a father figure and end up joining a gang because they don't know any better.

Look around your community and if you see graffitti you have a problem. Get involved and handle it. Quit being wimpy and scared of these thugs.
This is Idaho not Berkley or Compton. Funny thing when a whole community gets up in arms about something these guys always leave and go to the next town.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 PM

66 posts, read 274,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaly View Post
Most gang bangers are from Idaho? I would agree that most Aryan gang bangers were born and breed in Idaho but now the new hispanic gangs that are coming around are not from Idaho. Most of these hispanics that are in gangs are from california or Mexico or their parents moved up here from California or Mexico. I mean look at the Boise area 20 years ago there were not Mexican gangs down there or if there were they were not as large and a problem as they are now. I am from Northern Idaho and there are hardly any hispanics up here must be to cold not sure or to many rednecks. But I am seeing that crimes are starting to become more and more violent and frequent down in Boise just look at the idaho statesman they have a whole section of the paper dedicated to crime. What does everyone think of this and do you see the athorities doing anything to stop it down there.
The "new" Hispanic gangs you're talking about have been active (and growing) in SW Idaho since the late 80's and early 90's without break. They were started, and continue to be mostly populated, by membership born and raised in Idaho. Originally they were imitating gangs from elsewhere, with some (less than you'd think) out-of-state people in the mix. Most though, were either born here or moved here prior to joining gangs. Aryan gangs are not even a blip on the radar except in prison. My information is coming from years of working as a gang investigator in Idaho.

What's being done to stop it? A lot. There have been multiple high-profile gang take-downs in SW Idaho. There are cops working full-time to ensure that there will be more.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureValley50 View Post
The "new" Hispanic gangs you're talking about have been active (and growing) in SW Idaho since the late 80's and early 90's without break. They were started, and continue to be mostly populated, by membership born and raised in Idaho. Originally they were imitating gangs from elsewhere, with some (less than you'd think) out-of-state people in the mix. Most though, were either born here or moved here prior to joining gangs. Aryan gangs are not even a blip on the radar except in prison. My information is coming from years of working as a gang investigator in Idaho.

What's being done to stop it? A lot. There have been multiple high-profile gang take-downs in SW Idaho. There are cops working full-time to ensure that there will be more.
Keep up the good work. I retired from San Bernardino P.D. 6 years ago and we had a combination of Hispanic and Black gangs that liked to kill each other for fun. The white hate groups played a pretty big roll in the desert areas and mainly did the meth thing. I did a total of 26 years and pulled the pin because I got tired of the public not doing their part. We used to ask a group of them after a murder if they had seen anything and all you would hear is the crickets chirp. Without community involvement you are dead in the water. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho