Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 06:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't see what speculating can hurt. I have seen people on social media solve crimes before the police can.

Also I hate to put a damper on your optimism for authorities to figure it out, but the odds are 1 in 3 that these murders will never be solved. Even if they are solved, it may take a long time. So I don't think that speculation will hurt anything.
Nonsense. Police are trained to help solve crimes. I guess I am more optimistic than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 08:32 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Nonsense. Police are trained to help solve crimes. I guess I am more optimistic than you.
Those are the odds. You don't have to like it, but those are the odds.

Quote:
If you're murdered in America, there's a 1 in 3 chance that the police won't identify your killer.

To use the FBI's terminology, the national "clearance rate" for homicide today is 64.1 percent. Fifty years ago, it was more than 90 percent.
Open Cases_ Why One-Third Of Murders In America Go Unresolved _ NPR

Old 11-25-2022, 11:10 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What is your source that police said it was not random and not a burglary. Because Googling that doesn't come up with any results. Everything I have read say the police are ruling out nothing. The mayor of Moscow has said that he believes it may have been a burglary gone wrong, robbery gone wrong, or a crime of passion.

Mainly KREM2 news coverage on YouTube, plus forensic experts on various cable channels/YouTube. YouTube has extensive coverage of press conferences, expert statements, and so forth. Of course everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. No quality control on YouTube.

Interesting comment online from a viewer: Most dogs would alert their humans to an intruder, but the dog in the house didn't (and was left unharmed). That might indicate that the dog knew the intruder.

But a surprising wrinkle is this story about a similar murder in Oregon in 2021 (might there be more?):
https://www.yahoo.com/news/idaho-mur...040552204.html

Last edited by volosong; 11-25-2022 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag

Old 11-25-2022, 12:16 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Obit for one of the local students was published in today's paper. Sweet girl, tragic loss.

https://cdapress.com/news/2022/nov/25/maddie-may-mogen/

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-25-2022, 01:06 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Mainly KREM 2 news coverage on YouTube, plus forensic experts on various cable channels/YouTube. YouTube has extensive coverage of press conferences, expert statements, and so forth. Of course everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. No quality control on YouTube.
I was looking for a specific link, not just YouTube. There are about 800 million videos on YouTube. There are about 26,000 videos on the KREM 2 YouTube channel. If you want to use YouTube as a source how about a specific video link and a timestamp for where I can get the information.

Old 11-25-2022, 01:27 PM

432 posts, read 359,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
One of the FBI agents who started the psychological profiling, John Douglas, said this:
People only lust for other people that they have seen. Killers almost never go after someone they have never seen. Vision more than anything else will determine who a killer is.
Or to quote noted criminalogist Hannibal Lector: "We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? And don't your eyes move over the things you want?"

Old 11-26-2022, 02:17 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
Or to quote noted criminalogist Hannibal Lector: "We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? And don't your eyes move over the things you want?"

Yup. Author Thomas Harris, who wrote Silence of the Lambs, knows John Douglas.

He based his first protagonist, Agent Will Graham, the guy who caught Lecter in the first book that featured Lecter as a character, Red Dragon, on Douglas.
Harris quoted Douglas quite a lot all three books of the Lecter trilogy.

Hannibal Lecter, though, was Harris' own creation, a combination of many other killers.

Harris had interviewed a mental patient who was on death row who had severe facial scarring while working as a writer for Argosy magazine in the early 1960s. This was in a Monterey, Mexico prison.
The man had been treated by the prison's medical doctor, who was also a convicted murderer. Harris was struck by that guy's intelligence and the quiet, lethal air the doctor had.
A Dr. Salazar, whose actual name was Alfredo Trevino. He too, was condemned to death, but his sentence was later commuted to 20 years due to his medical service in the prison. The real Hannibal Lecter was eventually freed, set up a medical practice, and died in 2009.

Harris also interviewed or watched several other murderers on trial for years before he began writing his now famous Lecter series. His Lecter character combines quite a few of them.

In the books, Hannibal is a child of Lithuanian and Italian nobility, a Count. He's highly cultured, and prefers to kill and eat rude people whose manners have offended him.
This became the center of the plot in the 3rd book, Hannibal Rising.

Last edited by banjomike; 11-26-2022 at 02:26 PM..

Old 11-26-2022, 04:15 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
My guestimation:

A young adult male , rather on the large, size, works in close proximity to Kaylee's place of work "Mad Greek" on Main street. Mabey a pizza place ot sandwich shop.... He cyberstalks her Instagram and Tic Toc social media pages, which are rather salicious. . Its a sexually motivated murder targeted at Kaylee. he sees her occasionally, in person, near their perspective work places. He's had conversation with her, but has been rejected by Kaylee. He may have attended one of the many house parties at the property, staying low key. Reports of 4 to 5 house parties a week were reported by the student neighbors of the murder house.
He stalks the house from the back, thru the trees, , looking in the windows seeing Kaylee visually.
l he knew the layout of the house.
He is a hunter, he has skills with knives.
The night of the murders Enters thru the back, sliding door , left open from girls taking the dog out yto pee.
He came across the visited male first and took him out as the visited male was a threat. then he took out Xena -- both on the 2nd floor.
He enters 3 floor and had a plan of murder , which didn't work out as planned, Then he had to take out Maddie across the hall to not have a witness.
He leaves aroused and satisfied, not particularly worried about leaving evidence, he exits out the back. There is alot of DNA evidence, but it has to be processed.....and he does not have a criminal date file on him yet to match the DNA evidence.
I do think he will get caught, his family know he is acted stranger than usual, and may turn in the tip to law enforcement without his awareness.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I don’t know. Yes we can make up scenarios that may be right or wrong. But the best result is waiting for the official police report. Being a smaller town (Moscow) this may take longer.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:32 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
I came up with the aforementioned scenario based on the law enforcement intel that has been released. I do not work as a detective but I have worked prior in investigations. I have a degree in Forensic Psychology and that is a brief my assessment of the perp along with the most likely scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho