Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 10:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

For those of us who lived and worked in Moscow let’s hope it doesn’t go cold. I think they will find the culprit eventually, as another poster said the tech has gotten much better in recent years. I fully expect an arrest, but have no idea how long it might take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 02:42 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
For those of us who lived and worked in Moscow let’s hope it doesn’t go cold. I think they will find the culprit eventually, as another poster said the tech has gotten much better in recent years. I fully expect an arrest, but have no idea how long it might take.
It sounds to me like a burglary - home invasion gone wrong. The killer was probably inside the home when they returned and decided to kill them all to escape.

The other possibility would be a Ted Bundy type serial killer. But if that was the case I have to wonder why he didn't kill the other two people in the house. He certainly would have had time.

Either way it appears to be a random crime. It's going to take a lot of time to solve, but you are right technology will probably solve it eventually.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:04 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Based on their shifting terminology (now saying at press conferences No suspects in custody and No publivly identified suspect) amd recent comment that they know which student was targeted , I think they have a suspect and are building a case.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:11 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It sounds to me like a burglary - home invasion gone wrong. The killer was probably inside the home when they returned and decided to kill them all to escape.

The other possibility would be a Ted Bundy type serial killer. But if that was the case I have to wonder why he didn't kill the other two people in the house. He certainly would have had time.

Either way it appears to be a random crime. It's going to take a lot of time to solve, but you are right technology will probably solve it eventually.
Hi, Cloudy...
There are far more than only 2 possibilities for the murders.

While I won't speculate publicly right now about these killings, I've been a true crime fan for over 30 years.

One of the FBI agents who started the psychological profiling, John Douglas, said this:
People only lust for other people that they have seen. Killers almost never go after someone they have never seen. Vision more than anything else will determine who a killer is.

That isn't a precise quote. He said it in a more general sense, as it applies to a lot of other crimes, not only murder.

Once you begin thinking about it, many other possibilities for these murders will come to your mind.
Even during a mass murder, it applies. People have to be seen to become targets.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:28 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:

According to the police it was not random, and not a burglary. Nothing (as far as they can tell) was missing. One of the victims had defense wounds on her hands, and more stabbing wounds than the others, so there is speculation that she may have been the target victim, and the others, sadly, "collateral damage." The police are investigating reports from friends of the murder victims that the young woman with the defense wounds had complained about a stalker. So far the police haven't found any solid evidence of that, but they are still investigating. KREM News is a good source of information about the case.

Old 11-24-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
According to the police it was not random, and not a burglary. Nothing (as far as they can tell) was missing. One of the victims had defense wounds on her hands, and more stabbing wounds than the others, so there is speculation that she may have been the target victim, and the others, sadly, "collateral damage." The police are investigating reports from friends of the murder victims that the young woman with the defense wounds had complained about a stalker. So far the police haven't found any solid evidence of that, but they are still investigating. KREM News is a good source of information about the case.
What is your source that police said it was not random and not a burglary. Because Googling that doesn't come up with any results. Everything I have read say the police are ruling out nothing. The mayor of Moscow has said that he believes it may have been a burglary gone wrong, robbery gone wrong, or a crime of passion.

Quote:
Four college students were killed around 3 or 4 in the morning on Sunday in Moscow, Idaho, but authorities have not yet narrowed down a motive, which could include "burglary gone wrong" or a "crime of passion," according to Mayor Art Bettge.

"It’s one of any of a plenitude of possibilities, including burglary gone wrong, robbery gone wrong… any of those is a possibility and not one to the exclusion of others," Bettge told Fox News Digital on Monday.
As far as the reports of a stalker, I think that has been pretty much debunked.

Quote:
"Investigators have looked extensively into information they received about Kaylee Goncalves having a stalker. They have pursued hundreds of pieces of information related to this topic and have not been able to verify or identify a stalker," Moscow police said.
Idaho college murders_ Police say no evidence victim had stalker - ABC News

Old 11-24-2022, 04:39 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
What is your source that police said it was not random and not a burglary. Because Googling that doesn't come up with any results. Everything I have read say the police are ruling out nothing. The mayor of Moscow has said that he believes it may have been a burglary gone wrong, robbery gone wrong, or a crime of passion.

As far as the reports of a stalker, I think that has been pretty much debunked.

Idaho college murders_ Police say no evidence victim had stalker - ABC News
For the record the Mayor didn't say he believed it was one of those things. He was listing some possibilities and got badly missquoted.

Old 11-24-2022, 04:43 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I know there is interest in speculating, but we need to be patient for authorities to figure it out.

Old 11-24-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
For the record the Mayor didn't say he believed it was one of those things. He was listing some possibilities and got badly missquoted.
Thank you for the clarification. Which is exactly my point. They are ruling out nothing.

Old 11-24-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I know there is interest in speculating, but we need to be patient for authorities to figure it out.
I don't see what speculating can hurt. I have seen people on social media solve crimes before the police can.

Also I hate to put a damper on your optimism for authorities to figure it out, but the odds are 1 in 3 that these murders will never be solved. Even if they are solved, it may take a long time. So I don't think that speculation will hurt anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho