Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 PM

332 posts, read 482,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
It's idiotic to throw the taxpayer's money down the toilet to grandstand which is exactly what he's doing. Whether you agree with same sex marriage or not, it's here to stay. It's been ruled unconstitutional to deny gay people the right to marry. What if the citizens of a state voted to disallow different races from marrying. Would you support spending the money to fight for that too?
This difference of opinion is something that's not going to go away with debate. It's based on belief, and the more we all argue one side versus the other, the more entrenched we become.

The fact is that MANY of us believe sexual orientation is a choice, not a genetic trait like race. Race is its own set of arguments, but blurring them together in order to heap on the illusion of bigotry becomes tiresome. It's not bigotry when your religious beliefs are violated because 3% of the population wants a civil union to be called something it isn't. Marriage has an enormous religious connotation that binds all their differences together into a common definition - man+woman. If the argument was for / against civil unions, my position would be different. But the fact remains that there is a multi-front approach to this debate, designed to undermine the very fabric of the Gospel under the guise of tolerance, and it's very upsetting and offensive to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post

The fact is that MANY of us believe sexual orientation is a choice, not a genetic trait like race. Race is its own set of arguments, but blurring them together in order to heap on the illusion of bigotry becomes tiresome.
And that is the problem. The viewpoint that it is a choice becomes tiresome. I have known so many people, both male and female, who entered into a straight marriage only to realize they are truly gay and then the marriage ends. All of them knew they were gay before they got married but because of social and family pressure they got married to a member of the opposite sex thinking it would change them, but it did not.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
And that is the problem. The viewpoint that it is a choice becomes tiresome.
Agreed.
I also can't quite figure out how someone else's religious beliefs are violated because of what someone else does that has no impact on thm or their religion. If it bothers someone, simply don't marry a person of your own gender.

Last edited by mistyriver; 09-09-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
I think you've all made your points. It's clear that many of us in Idaho (and across the country) hold sharply divided views about this issue that will not be resolved here in this thread.

Let's move on to keep this thread about Idaho News...

Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Everyone should watch the video at the link.

7's Hero: Bringing Home Bowen

EAGLE -- An Eagle family has a very special adoption love story to tell.

Jeremy and Devon Toomey brought home a little boy from Serbia a few years ago. 5-year-old Bowen was born without arms and legs, but he's thriving and doesn't let anything hold him back.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Everyone should watch the video at the link.

7's Hero: Bringing Home Bowen

EAGLE -- An Eagle family has a very special adoption love story to tell.

Jeremy and Devon Toomey brought home a little boy from Serbia a few years ago. 5-year-old Bowen was born without arms and legs, but he's thriving and doesn't let anything hold him back.
It's good to see a family doing this. I hope they have the financial resources to follow through with the (potentially) high costs of this special needs child and give him a future.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:18 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
What a joyful little guy!

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see it, especially today, 9/11.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Mark you calendars!

Fracking in Idaho....

Gasland 2 Idaho Road Show | Wild Idaho Rising Tide

These free, public events encourage citizen comments on recently revised state oil and gas rules before and/or at a Wednesday, September 24 hearing

Old 09-12-2014, 01:04 PM

274 posts, read 471,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Mark you calendars!

Fracking in Idaho....

Gasland 2 Idaho Road Show | Wild Idaho Rising Tide

These free, public events encourage citizen comments on recently revised state oil and gas rules before and/or at a Wednesday, September 24 hearing
I know this news isn't from Idaho, but if you can't learn from others, who can you learn from?
Evidence mounting to suggest earthquakes are man made | KFOR.com

If you have a chance to stop the fracking companies from doing fracking damage and causing fracking contamination, then do it. But don't take my word for it, do some research on it. My beliefs are mine based on reading reports from both sides. If the government thinks it's a good idea, it probably isn't.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
I know this news isn't from Idaho, but if you can't learn from others, who can you learn from?
Evidence mounting to suggest earthquakes are man made | KFOR.com
The report doesn't really present any evidence linking fracking to earthquakes, or that earthquakes are "man-made". The mere coincidence that there are more earthquakes and fracking does not establish causality.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho