Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 10:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I want to say his name was Joe Vincent, but I'm not sure. My memory's a little (maybe a lot) fuzzy on this, but I think he owned or ran Bahia, September's and something called LeTrice or LeTris (not sure if that's the correct spelling, and there was a side by side club sort of thing with Bahia). Rumor had it that Roland's across Federal Highway from September's was run or owned by one of his proteges.

I don't remember Roxy's, I have sort of a vague memory of a strip club in that general area, but I don't know what it was called.

Ah, Susie Carr, I remember she was one of the entertainers at September's. I think she and some guy had an act together and they made a record that became a top-40s hit.
This is a VERY old post, but felt compelled to answer.... owner ( in name) of September was Steve Vincent. He also was owner on record of Montego Bay/ Uptown .... the side by side places you mentioned before. Roland was one of the managers of September/uptown and opened his own place across the street called “Rolands”. I was a cocktail waitress at September in 1982-83.... and loved being sent over to uptown because I Had more fun there. The male lead singer of uptown band “Orlando” joined a band in CA and made an album. “OXO”. One of the bartenders at September/Uptown “Neil” opened up another club called G. Willikers in pompano that was right next door to “la volcanique”. (My personal fav place to party in the “80’s” until someone came in one night and shot “Gordon”... the DJ. ) Volcanique was managed by a guy named Sabatino. And later, in Pompano a place called “Club Soda” opened .... and closed very quickly..even though the place was PACKED every night. Never got the story on that one..... but same faces you’d see at September/ G Willikers/volcanique.... were at club soda.
When I applied for a job at September, I was fresh out of college and coming from the Midwest. They sent me for a polygraph, and the man giving me the test said “I’m worried you are too naive to work there... the ppl you are working for are no angels” I WAS naive. But I had SO much fun at those places.... and the $ was insane. Cocaine smugglers were everywhere and they were very generous. We’d find vials of blow on the floor every night when we closed and turned the lights on.
Was in Lauderdale recently and Oakland park/ federal hwy area is a DUMP now. No down under, no yesterdays, no September, Montego Bay, or uptown. The bar on top floor of the round bldg. ( can’t remember name of it)). That dance floor rotated..... is gone. ..Only thing I recognized was shooters... and it’s different... it’s not a “drink n app” kinda place anymore. It’s sad. It’s all gone. Whatever happened to all the players? Vincent, Roland, sabatino...etc? Have NO clue. They have to be AT LEAST in their 70’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,736 times
Steve Vincent owned (in name) September, Montego Bay, and uptown. Roland was one of the managers of those clubs. He opened “Rolands” across the street in the building that used to be The Palace.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:25 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Another landmark is closing up: Quarterdeck on Cordova Rd is moving down the street. I never loved QD, I prefer Southport across the street. QD has been at that location for 53 years:

https://www.browardpalmbeach.com/res...years-10247400

Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
You folks with the good memories may recall but back in my college days late 70’s I stayed at a very typical FLL motel reminded me of the style motel from the movie Where The Boys are

It was situated right at a V where the road broke one right, one left.

I fondly remember those days but for the life of me, I can not recall the name.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
You folks with the good memories may recall but back in my college days late 70’s I stayed at a very typical FLL motel reminded me of the style motel from the movie Where The Boys are

It was situated right at a V where the road broke one right, one left.

I fondly remember those days but for the life of me, I can not recall the name.

Anyone know?

Thanks
The Merriweather

Merriweatherresort.com

It's still there, and hasn't changed much.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altravita View Post
Was in Lauderdale recently and Oakland park/ federal hwy area is a DUMP now. No down under, no yesterdays, no September, Montego Bay, or uptown. The bar on top floor of the round bldg. ( can’t remember name of it)). That dance floor rotated..... is gone.
Originally, the Chateau Madrid, a restaurant and nightclub, was on the top floor of the Kenann building in the 60s and 70s. It was followed by the Rooftop (gay club), opened and closed in the 1980s. A second-floor addition was added in the 1990s in which the club Hot Chocolates was located - it, and another short-lived club, Bungalow 9, have also closed.

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 05-09-2019 at 05:28 AM..

Old 05-09-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I don't remember Roxy's, I have sort of a vague memory of a strip club in that general area, but I don't know what it was called.
Roxy's was not a strip club, although strippers from Pure Platinum(f. Playpen), further south on US1 did hang out there after work!

Originally Shakers, a disco/nightclub at 4000 N. Federal Highway, it had two floors, the upper floor overlooking the central dance floor with stage at the front. It later became Roxy's, redesigned to appeal to a 30 something crowd.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:27 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Wow, interesting to read all these memories. Seems like Fort Lauderdale, including the peripheral areas was a much more fun place then than it is now. What happened?

Old 05-09-2019, 07:38 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
The Merriweather

Merriweatherresort.com

It's still there, and hasn't changed much.

OMG, that is it! Thanks!

Back then it was run by an on-site manager from Ireland I believe.

I gotta plan to drive over Alligator and revisit the area!

Old 05-09-2019, 11:53 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Wow, interesting to read all these memories. Seems like Fort Lauderdale, including the peripheral areas was a much more fun place then than it is now. What happened?
It definitely had a dark side, but if you were somewhat cautious, it was awesome, I have to say. It was affordable for young, middle class folks as well.

My personal opinion is that the 1980s were a peak of some sort for the US, and it's been pretty much downhill from there. This would affect Ft. Lauderdale as well as many other places. This is what happens when a wealth gap opens up between the more affluent and the poor. The middle class doesn't rise, it slips. So what happens is there is no longer a buffer between rich and poor. Businesses that used to cater to the middle class can't make it anymore, so they shut down. Even some of the businesses that cater to the wealthier folks can't make it, because they probably don't realize that even a middle class income used to enable someone to eat out in a fancier restaurant a few times a year, or purchase something expensive a couple of times a year. Yeah, they didn't want THOSE customers. Well, good on 'em. They don't have them anymore. Go chase the leather skinned old guys in gold chains and nut-hugger Speedos and the face-lifted, boob-jobbed women in string bikinis and thongs with huge lips and botox foreheads.

Even your colleagues (and perhaps even you) turned up your noses as well at the middle class. Sell those homes in Weston to affluent foreigners! Condos on Las Olas! Let places like Oakland Park, Riverland and the outskirts of Coral Ridge rot. We don't need those stinkin' homeowners. Vote in folks like Debbie Wasserman Schultz! (nothing turns an area dreary faster than that sort of politician, see Chicago)

Again, just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area