Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altravita View Post
This is a VERY old post, but felt compelled to answer.... owner ( in name) of September was Steve Vincent. He also was owner on record of Montego Bay/ Uptown .... the side by side places you mentioned before. Roland was one of the managers of September/uptown and opened his own place across the street called “Rolands”. I was a cocktail waitress at September in 1982-83.... and loved being sent over to uptown because I Had more fun there. The male lead singer of uptown band “Orlando” joined a band in CA and made an album. “OXO”. One of the bartenders at September/Uptown “Neil” opened up another club called G. Willikers in pompano that was right next door to “la volcanique”. (My personal fav place to party in the “80’s” until someone came in one night and shot “Gordon”... the DJ. ) Volcanique was managed by a guy named Sabatino. And later, in Pompano a place called “Club Soda” opened .... and closed very quickly..even though the place was PACKED every night. Never got the story on that one..... but same faces you’d see at September/ G Willikers/volcanique.... were at club soda.
When I applied for a job at September, I was fresh out of college and coming from the Midwest. They sent me for a polygraph, and the man giving me the test said “I’m worried you are too naive to work there... the ppl you are working for are no angels” I WAS naive. But I had SO much fun at those places.... and the $ was insane. Cocaine smugglers were everywhere and they were very generous. We’d find vials of blow on the floor every night when we closed and turned the lights on.
Was in Lauderdale recently and Oakland park/ federal hwy area is a DUMP now. No down under, no yesterdays, no September, Montego Bay, or uptown. The bar on top floor of the round bldg. ( can’t remember name of it)). That dance floor rotated..... is gone. ..Only thing I recognized was shooters... and it’s different... it’s not a “drink n app” kinda place anymore. It’s sad. It’s all gone. Whatever happened to all the players? Vincent, Roland, sabatino...etc? Have NO clue. They have to be AT LEAST in their 70’s.
Thanks for the clarification! Steve Vincent, exactly. Yes, all that is gone now, just a memory. I realize Ft. Lauderdale was pretty mobbed-up back in the day, but some of those guys knew how to run a bar/nightclub and they were willing to pay for a decent band. Yes, drugs were all over the place, it's true, but nobody was forcing anyone to take them. And I never knew anyone who was an opiod addict, either. The round building used to be the Kenan Building, I think. As I recall, Vincent had a restaurant there later on after the frenzy of the '80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,002,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yes, all that is gone now, just a memory. I realize Ft. Lauderdale was pretty mobbed-up back in the day, but some of those guys knew how to run a bar/nightclub and they were willing to pay for a decent band. Yes, drugs were all over the place, it's true, but nobody was forcing anyone to take them. And I never knew anyone who was an opiod addict, either. The round building used to be the Kenan Building, I think. As I recall, Vincent had a restaurant there later on after the frenzy of the '80s.
The KenAnn Building was named after Ken and Ann Burnstine, who financed its construction (probably to launder drug money).

Ken Burnstine was one of the most colorful characters in the history of Fort Lauderdale. The Associated Press named him "one of America's most daring drug smugglers". I went to school with his sons and often went to their house which was like a James Bond lair complete with indoor gun range, speed boat, and lions! My parents did not make any connection until I injured myself at the house and the doctor asked my mother if she knew who my friends' father was.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:02 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,002,922 times
Default The Eighties was the final decade of the Great Era of Fort Liquordale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
It definitely had a dark side, but if you were somewhat cautious, it was awesome, I have to say. It was affordable for young, middle class folks as well.

My personal opinion is that the 1980s were a peak of some sort for the US, and it's been pretty much downhill from there. This would affect Ft. Lauderdale as well as many other places.

Again, just my opinion.
Yes, that is also true for me having grown up here. The Eighties was the final decade of the Great Era of Fort Liquordale beginning with its introduction to the hormone-laden collegiate masses looking for the perfect Spring Break in the film "Where The Boys Are".

The children of the Sixties and Seventies, who became the young professionals of the Eighties had The Greatest Generation as their parents. We were spoiled and pushed all boundaries. And Fort Lauderdale was at the right place at the right time. The Sexual Revolution had reached its climax (forgive the pun ), and Fort Lauderdale was the 'In' Place having all the amenities (ocean, nightclubs, and beautiful people) while Miami was a sedentary, rocking chair retirement community.

But as you said, all good things must come to pass. Today we have the PC Warriors, # MeToo Movement, and the Kardashians!

Old 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
The KenAnn Building was named after Ken and Ann Burnstine, who financed its construction (probably to launder drug money).

Ken Burnstine was one of the most colorful characters in the history of Fort Lauderdale. The Associated Press named him "one of America's most daring drug smugglers". I went to school with his sons and often went to their house which was like a James Bond lair complete with indoor gun range, speed boat, and lions! My parents did not make any connection until I injured myself at the house and the doctor asked my mother if she knew who my friends' father was.
Thanks for the correction and the additional info! You are a wealth of information and I am enjoying it immensely!

Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Yes, that is also true for me having grown up here. The Eighties was the final decade of the Great Era of Fort Liquordale beginning with its introduction to the hormone-laden collegiate masses looking for the perfect Spring Break in the film "Where The Boys Are".

The children of the Sixties and Seventies, who became the young professionals of the Eighties had The Greatest Generation as their parents. We were spoiled and pushed all boundaries. And Fort Lauderdale was at the right place at the right time. The Sexual Revolution had reached its climax (forgive the pun ), and Fort Lauderdale was the 'In' Place having all the amenities (ocean, nightclubs, and beautiful people) while Miami was a sedentary, rocking chair retirement community.

But as you said, all good things must come to pass. Today we have the PC Warriors, # MeToo Movement, and the Kardashians!
As I've noted earlier on in this thread, Ft. Lauderdale practically invented the '80s.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 PM

603 posts, read 442,016 times
This is an insane thread ... we used to come down from Palm Beach on the weekends sometimes especially if the boat was at Pier 66. Ft Lauderdale had some wild nightlife back then of the type that certainly shocked a sheltered non drinking or drug taking Jewish boy from Palm Beach country club

Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
The Elbow Room is still going but pretty shabby dive IMHO

Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
The Elbow Room is still going but pretty shabby dive IMHO
There have been stories in the sunsentinel on that corner, one guy is assembling all the lots around the ER. Some day that will surely be a high rise condo with some type of "new Elbow Room" concept on the first floor.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
There have been stories in the sunsentinel on that corner, one guy is assembling all the lots around the ER. Some day that will surely be a high rise condo with some type of "new Elbow Room" concept on the first floor.
Good luck with that. Lipstick on a pig is still.............

Old 05-10-2019, 04:41 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Good luck with that. Lipstick on a pig is still.............
Oceanfront on Las Olas Blvd.......not sure I can think of a better location in Ft lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area