Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 11:07 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
You think your showing Your age .. I remember when the Playpen was .. La Fontana, an Italian resturant .. long before it became the Playpen.
Mr Close... are you still there? I see by your Posts that you are indeed a old timer (in the best sense) from FTL.

I was curious to see if you were interested in participating in a new Thread regarding "Fort Lauderdale in the 1970s".

You probably could help me fill in a lot of gaps as you have several years on me (you born at BMC in '52).

BTW: I live only blocks from the old Playpen, and have MANY stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Basically the residents and business owners, especially those along A1A, got sick and tired of dealing with the drunken antics of the college students (and locals), and after they left, spending millions of dollars repairing the damages the Spring Breakers caused during their brief annual pilgrimage.

It all changed after the craziest Spring Break year of them all - 1984, during which there were several deaths from the careless actions of drunken college students. Thereafter, police cracked down and enforced laws they previously turned a blind eye to: public drunkenness, open containers, disorderly conduct, indecency, etc.

The 'City Fathers' decided to change the image of the City, and cater to more affluent year-round tourist dollars of upscale families. Now we have many 5-Star hotels where there used to be dilapidated motels.
Oh, and all these problems coincided with a new Federal Drinking Law in 1984 - Florida's previous legal drinking age was only 18, so many students could drink alcohol legally. But after 'The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 (23 U.S.C. § 158)' was passed by the United States Congress on July 17, 1984, you had to be 21, and that caused MAJOR problems for the clubs and bars!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
Quote:
Don't recall anything about that. She may have been from FTL, but they may have been doing all their cavorting and canoodling up in PB.

I got around, a lot, in the mid-80s, and I never saw or heard about Burt in FTL with the one exception I mentioned. I think he was really most comfortable around his ranch up in Jupiter (at that time-he later moved to his water-front home on the Intracoastal). People up there probably left him alone, like he wanted. Unlike what he would have encountered down here in FTL. However, I am sure he visited his restaurant often, but that was a straight shot off I-95 to Port Everglades at the time (before the 9/11 restrictions), so no need to deal with all the riffraff.
According to the mother, they didn't spend much time in Ft. Lauderdale. With the exception of one time he actually came to the house to have dinner with the family, he mostly "sent cars" for her. Mind you, I got all this from the mother, not the daughter, two neighbors having a chat in the yard. At the time of the liaison, the daughter was a nursing student (I think) and rather younger than Burt, although over 18. Supposedly he actually asked the parents for permission to date the daughter, or so I was told.

It was one of those things that I had completely forgotten about until I read that Reynolds had passed. Sort of a bit of trivia from back in the day. I can tell you that the husband, wife and son that I did know were some of the most decent, completely honorable people I ever met. In fact I did some real estate related business with them that was a win-win for both parties. The parents have likely passed on, and the children close to retirement, if not already retired, but wherever they are, I wish them well.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I used to travel extensively to many large cities throughout the US, on business, during the 1980s, and experienced their nightlife.

In my opinion, only New York City and Chicago, and maybe isolated parts of LA came close to the excitement, quality and quantity of the entertainment we had available here. But they didn't have the year-round sun, sandy beaches, and hot bods and uninhibited behavior on display that we had.

If someone has another choice for a city that competed with Fort Liquordale in the 1980s, please respond with your choice and detail reasons why.
I certainly won't argue with you. During that time I used to travel up to NY and the Boston area. In my opinion, not even NY could compete. It really was a moment in time that is gone, never to return. Maybe in some ways that's good, but I was glad to have been there to see it. Subtract the drug culture and it was pretty special.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
My mom worked at the most popular restaurant on ELO,
By ELO i'm assuming you mean East Las Olas. There was some good eating around there. My faves were Lagniappe, Cafe de Paris and The French Quarter. https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/244558

Old 09-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I certainly won't argue with you. During that time I used to travel up to NY and the Boston area. In my opinion, not even NY could compete. It really was a moment in time that is gone, never to return. Maybe in some ways that's good, but I was glad to have been there to see it. Subtract the drug culture and it was pretty special.
NYC was pretty awesome - 24 hours a day! I used to stay at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square, on the top floor, the Concierge Level, as I was a Platinum Member, and empty the mini-bar almost every night. It was very impressive to any young lady, riding up the glass elevator after inserting your member card. I was lucky to be there for the Mets win over Boston in '86, and the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty that same year. The ENTIRE city took off from work! Saw NYPD on horses disperse the crowds in TS from my window. Frequented The Limelight, CBGB, The Keller... hell I still have my VIP Card from The Palladium!

In Boston, I used to stay at the Boston Marriott Copley Place, even though my office was in Framingham! Used to go to party at Zuzu, Faces, and Phoenix in Cambridge (I couldn't get the college life out of me for years!)

Old 09-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
By ELO i'm assuming you mean East Las Olas. There was some good eating around there. My faves were Lagniappe, Cafe de Paris and The French Quarter.
But of course Laz Olaz (as out-of-towners would pronounce it). I wasn't referring to Electric Light Orchestra!

I knew Louis, who owned CDP and TFQ. My father, a retired NY Chef, used to help Louis in the kitchen for FREE! It drove my mother mad, but it got him out of the house in his retirement and gave him something to do. The salad dressing there was my father's recipe.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 PM

653 posts, read 588,045 times
Quote:
The SGP was small and quiet, OK for date night, but I really liked PSA. Pierce Street Annex (5600 N Federal Hwy) always advertised itself as a singles bar, and was known for its many bar gimmicks, including one of the first bars with satellite TVs showing sports games, an outdoor pool, backgammon tables, barbecue parties, and Starmaker Night, an amateur hour with free airline tickets as prizes. Also had Lock and Key games where guys would get a key and girls would get a lock, and you'd walk up to all the girls to see if your key fit her lock. A great way to meet girls! I also used to meet a group that played water volleyball in the pool.

Throughout the late 1970s and 1980s, the bar was an after-game hangout for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers soccer team and their fans dressed in their red and yellow bumblebee shirts. I remember seeing Jan Van Beveren, the goalie, who was always friendly to the fans.

Sadly, the PSA burned down in October 1992, and is now an Edwin Watts Golf store.
Loved PSA. Had gone a few times as a senior in high school ('84) and later several times during the summers of college when my friends would come home. I don't remember seeing any of the Strikers at PSA. Used to see them at the Crown & Rose; great pub/bar. Had my first Guinness there.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 PM

653 posts, read 588,045 times
Quote:
Oh, and all these problems coincided with a new Federal Drinking Law in 1984 - Florida's previous legal drinking age was only 18, so many students could drink alcohol legally. But after 'The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 (23 U.S.C. § 158)' was passed by the United States Congress on July 17, 1984, you had to be 21, and that caused MAJOR problems for the clubs and bars!
Actually the drinking age was 19. When they pushed it to 21, anybody who was between 19-20 were grandfathered in but not all of the bars would recognize the grandfathering. I was in that age bracket.

I think you're both right. The city and local business certainly wanted to kick the Spring Break reputation in favor of the higher margin family and business travelers. The rise in the drinking age didn't help.

Those were the days;
The Candy Store
The Button
Elbo Room
Penrods on the Beach

Old 10-22-2018, 03:21 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Actually the drinking age was 19. When they pushed it to 21, anybody who was between 19-20 were grandfathered in but not all of the bars would recognize the grandfathering. I was in that age bracket.

I think you're both right. The city and local business certainly wanted to kick the Spring Break reputation in favor of the higher margin family and business travelers. The rise in the drinking age didn't help.

Those were the days;
The Candy Store
The Button
Elbo Room
Penrods on the Beach
Susan Penrod is a realtor in Ft Lauderdale (assuming her dad owned the bar).....Elbo Room is still there today. But the real estate values are getting crazy so i would assume at some point it will get sold and redeveloped.
Elbo Room | Dive Bar - Fort Lauderdale Beach Dive Bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area