Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Hows this for old .. I remember when there were Pine Trees lining Lauderdale Beach 'North'.
Wow! Thanks for the reply, esp. about Paul's as nobody else remembers that. Do you remember the Haunted House they were talking about? When did Paul's shop and the Haunted House close down? I remember when they built the Broward Mall, and shortly after Sears caught fire.

So, tell us some more about the old days! I noticed you are in VA? When did you leave FL? Do you miss it? This Fla. Native is moving out of state next year and frankly it can't come soon enough. This place has changed too much and not really for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 02:53 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
I haven't been back to Lauderdale for over 15 years now.
I DO miss it now and then .. I was born there and I remember when it was just a laid back, small town.

I don't know what happened to Paul .. I was around 8 or 9 years old when I use to visit the store. (Heck, I don't know HOW I even remembered Paul's last name .. But I did) LOL

The haunted house that I remember was on Andrews Ave (downtown) .. last I heard, it was an office, maybe an attorney's?

Wanna know Just how small a town Lauderdale was?
My father, my uncle (dad's older brother) and I all had the same first grade teacher! LOL
Yep .. Mrs Lloyd at North Side Elementary, Off of Sunrise and N.E. 4th ave.

Oh, almost forgot .. My mom, my brother and myself were filmed .. crossing the street from the Elbo Room to the beach in the movie .. Where The Boys Are! LOL (1962 .. I Think?)

I'll have more stories tomorrow if your still around.

MrClose (AKA: Paul)

Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 AM

I'll be Damn.
Just found out that Paul is still living! (Paul's Magic Shack .. at Sears Town)

I mean .. Come On .. It HAD to be almost 50 years ago when I was in his store last! Geeze

He sold the store at Sears Town a number of years ago.

He and his wife Andy have a mail order business now.

Don't know how pasting urls works in these forums, you might have to copy and paste to use them but .. The first url is to an article about Paul with a picture. (That is how he looked when I knew him)

The second is to his online store.

The Magic Newswire - Magic News - MNW #105 :: PAUL*DIAMOND

Diamond's Magic » What's New at Diamond's Magic? (http://www.diamondsmagic.com/dmb/shop/ - broken link)

Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 AM

I'm here and would LOVE to hear any of your memories of Ft. Lauderdale/Broward Co. Eventhough I've I'm a Native and have only lived in Broward or Palm Bch Counties, I don't have anybody, besides my family, who is from here or has lived here long enough to remember how it used to be and frankly, I have only my early memories as the area really started to change by the late 80's/early 90's. I can't ev.en imagine how this place was in the 50's & 60's?! Talk about change!

Do you ever read Carl Hiaasen's books? I'm a huge fan and often feel nobody can truly understand where he's coming from except for a South Fla. Native or LT resident. He went to Plantation H.S.

Where did you go to H.S.? I graduated from St. Thomas Aquinas H.S. And

Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 AM

Got cut off.
I remember how we'd all go to the same part of Ft. Lauderdale beach, which we dubbed the St. Thomas Beach, which was over by the Yankee Clipper hotel. We'd always drive there via shortcut through the Port on Eisenhower Dr. Can't do that anymore, it's been closed to regular traffic since Sept. 11. It makes me sad to see how much it has changed and as I mentioned before, I will not be looking back once I move 2,000 miles away next year.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Got some things to do right now.

Just wanted to ask .. where are you moving to .. 2000 miles away?

Paul

Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 PM

I'm moving to Marquette, MI in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's a drastic change and we will rent the first year but, that said, I can't wait. I'm sadened to say that I've really come to seriously dislike, almost hate, living in South Fla. This is just not the place for me and hasn't been for quite some time.

I look forward to hearing anymore memories you might feel like sharing as it is nice to find someone who remembers how things used to be down here. Not that it was Utopia but it was very different and good or bad, it is our hometown.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 PM

I know how you feel.

Even when I left all those years ago .. Lauderdale was not what I grew up loving.

Crime, sprawl, rude people etc. etc.

I don't have much time tonight, I'll try to get back later but .. In the meantime .. Go to the link below.

This was a group that I use to belong to when it was hosted by MSN.

Once MSN shut down, they tried to move the group to the host that it is on now but .. The group died.

I'm sending you there because if you scroll down you will see all the pictures of Old Lauderdale that the former members have posted.

Enjoy and we'll talk later.

Oh, BTW .. After moving away from the Sears Town area, we moved over to what is known as Twin Lakes today, off of Prospect road (NW 44th St) and Powerline Rd (NW 9th ave)

I graduated from Northeast High School.
(The link is small and at the bottom left corner)

Paul

FtL Kids

Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 AM

Thanks again, Paul! It's nice to commiserate, lol. I will go check out that link. Have a great day and I will talk to you soon.

Melissa

Old 11-16-2010, 02:00 PM

5,521 posts, read 7,112,574 times
Used to hang out at City Limits back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area