Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM

47 posts, read 165,307 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Michigan (may have seen my previous post)...we had visited different areas of Florida. We decided on Tampa (lower cost of living), but I currently work for a bank that doesnt have a branch in Tampa. Offices are in Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, Weston and Naples. We are planning to move the end of this month, and I THOUGHT that my aggressive job search would land SOMETHING in Tampa. Unfortunately, after 2-3 weeks of dozens of resumes--no luck! What is up with the Job Market in Tampa????? I've had one call from a company who left a message on my voicemail...I called back and got her voicemail...Nothing!!!

Here's the thing: At this point, job openings have come up with the company I am with (in Boca)--and wondering if we should re-plan our move. Fort Lauderdale, hands down is more expensive--but the schools has it's perks. Everyone I know who lives in Fort Lauderdale says Tampa is ghetto/no jobs/no value after purchasing a home//can't sell your home after you buy...But where does a family live in Fort Lauderdale areas that can only afford a $1200 3 bedroom apt? I can't find not one single apartment under $1500????? Have you lived in an affordable area that you recommend? (Please be specific with name of Apt complex or where to find info). The sites I am going to --you practically have to be RICH to live in S. Fla.

In other words, I need help! Should we move near Boca area and take the job I already have????Sacrifice the smaller apt. with a paying job...or move to a declining city with no job--bigger apt???
Which area is more family oriented???

& P.S. With the higher cost of living in Florida now---me and my husband would both need to work IMMEDIATELY after moving.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEMOZ View Post
We currently live in Michigan (may have seen my previous post)...we had visited different areas of Florida. We decided on Tampa (lower cost of living), but I currently work for a bank that doesnt have a branch in Tampa. Offices are in Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, Weston and Naples. We are planning to move the end of this month, and I THOUGHT that my aggressive job search would land SOMETHING in Tampa. Unfortunately, after 2-3 weeks of dozens of resumes--no luck! What is up with the Job Market in Tampa????? I've had one call from a company who left a message on my voicemail...I called back and got her voicemail...Nothing!!!

Here's the thing: At this point, job openings have come up with the company I am with (in Boca)--and wondering if we should re-plan our move. Fort Lauderdale, hands down is more expensive--but the schools has it's perks. Everyone I know who lives in Fort Lauderdale says Tampa is ghetto/no jobs/no value after purchasing a home//can't sell your home after you buy...But where does a family live in Fort Lauderdale areas that can only afford a $1200 3 bedroom apt? I can't find not one single apartment under $1500????? Have you lived in an affordable area that you recommend? (Please be specific with name of Apt complex or where to find info). The sites I am going to --you practically have to be RICH to live in S. Fla.

In other words, I need help! Should we move near Boca area and take the job I already have????Sacrifice the smaller apt. with a paying job...or move to a declining city with no job--bigger apt???

& P.S. With the higher cost of living in Florida now---me and my husband would both need to work IMMEDIATELY after moving.

Thank you in advance.
Read my post in the Tampa forum. You should probably stay put, or downsize to a 2 bedroom for that price range. Oh, and also forget about complexes. They are usually crap, and not to mention a ripoff. Go on craigslist.com and do a search for rented condominiums.

craigslist: fort lauderdale classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-01-2007 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: fort lauderdale craiglist link

Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,667 times
You could find a 3 bedroom apt in a run down part of Davie (I know some people that live over that way) for around $1100, but you won't like it. Think about down-sizing to a 2/2 or looking for a private owner rental.

We're in a 3/2 house renting for just over $1400/month in Sunrise. There may be some homes in the area for rent if you want to look for them.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
You could find a 3 bedroom apt in a run down part of Davie (I know some people that live over that way) for around $1100, but you won't like it. Think about down-sizing to a 2/2 or looking for a private owner rental.
Ewww, east Davie. Those kids get Hollywood or Plantation schools too, which are crappy.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 AM

96 posts, read 344,631 times
I am a little confused. If you are being offered a job in Boca, why are you looking in Ft. Lauderdale? Those cities are pretty far apart. Tell me specifically where is the address of the job and I can further help you. You should be able to rent something reasonable near Boca.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 AM

46 posts, read 247,347 times
This forum isn't good for giving advice on rundown cities, they usually tell you to go to the richest whitest most sheltered part of town... of course that is better life, if you were to go to Boca. But that aside, if you can't get to Boca, parts of North Lauderdale are safe and very affordable.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAndRaised View Post
aside, if you can't get to Boca, parts of North Lauderdale are safe and very affordable.
I actually agree with this. Well maintained working class neighborhoods in parts of North Lauderdale. Blue collar or lower level white collar, but neighbors care about where they live. Same applies for some parts of Sunrise.Schools are not good though, but there are magnet options. Try applying for Pompano Beach High, which is a fantastic magnet school.

As far as why he is looking into Fort Lauderdale area, he also got a job offer in Weston and Fort Lauderdale...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-02-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 AM

135 posts, read 599,956 times

Thank you in advance.

Why don't you look into Boynton Beach, anywhere west of Congress Avenue? Unincorporated BB is actually a nicer family place to live, regardless that there are many snowbirds here too. There are also many families. The schools in unincorporated BB are also pretty good, A-rated.

If the job offer is in Boca, depending on which major street, Boynton Beach is just 2 cities north of Boca, or about 20min away in high traffic at most. I would definitely move north of Boca and not south to the Lauderdale area, for many various reasons.

Here are some apt phone numbers for you, these specific apts are in the more western area, west of Congress and far away from the drug pockets out east of I95.........and the prices for 2/2 and 3/2 were all under $1201/month*. Some even $975/month for a 2/2.

Here goes:
Indian Hills 561-364-5655
Island Reach 561-738-4766
Sandpiper Cove 561-732-0999
Stonybrook Apts @ Boynton Beach 561-364-8090 (this one's only a few yrs old and very nice)*Sorry to misquote this one as under $1201/month but it's actually got a 2/2 for $1225/month without a garage. With a garage....you can get a 2/2 for under $1300/month and then their 3/2's w/out garage are up closer to $1300/month even w/a garage maybe just a bit over....

All of these apts are the 'nicer' ones and are all within 5-10 minutes of Hwy I-95, shopping, schools, malls, etc.

HTH!

Last edited by mes3fils; 08-02-2007 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: added info...

Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes3fils View Post

Why don't you look into Boynton Beach, anywhere west of Congress Avenue? Unincorporated BB is actually a nicer family place to live, regardless that there are many snowbirds here too. There are also many families. The schools in unincorporated BB are also pretty good, A-rated.
I agree with this. Park Vista is a decent school too. Just a lot of crime on the eastern half. The people are just as mean as what you will encounter in Boca though. The commute is also a drag. Not much traffic, but a drag nonetheless. I have also encountered MS-13 in unincorporated Boynton Beach, but that's another story...

Just go Coral Springs if you can, it's safer than all but 9 other cities in the United States, and you might be able to meet your rent requirement. Nicer people too.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 AM

135 posts, read 599,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I agree with this. Park Vista is a decent school too. Just a lot of crime on the eastern half. The people are just as mean as what you will encounter in Boca though. The commute is also a drag. Not much traffic, but a drag nonetheless. I have also encountered MS-13 in unincorporated Boynton Beach, but that's another story...

Just go Coral Springs if you can, it's safer than all but 9 other cities in the United States, and you might be able to meet your rent requirement. Nicer people too.
I don't agree with FL on the 'commute is also a drag' comment. FL do you want to elaborate on this? The commute would merely be I95 south to whatever exit the job was located on. Traffic is not bad at all going down that way...the ride on I95 would be a total of about 10minutes once they got on the hwy. Not counting minutes from the driveway to the on ramp.

How can a 10min hwy commute be a drag?

As for crime on the eastern half, you are correct and I did mention that. It's mainly isolated to the east of I95 area and west of the intercoastal. The apts I recommended are all located away from that part. Most are pretty west, quite a ways away.

As far as mean goes, BB does have some of that but Boca is much worse in that they are mean AND materialistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area