Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 62,981 times

Advertisements

So, I might have a job offer in Fort Lauderdale. It is a long story, but a few weeks ago I saw a job posting for a position in Fort Lauderdale. The listing said they were seeking local applicants only, but the job is exactly what I do and I'm not exactly happy, so I thought, "What the hell." Well, as fate would have it, the posting was removed the day after I sent my resume and my resume made it in, just under the wire and they called a few days later for a phone interview. Then they called two weeks ago to see if I could come down there for a second interview. I did and it seems that I am in the top 5 of 90 applicants and I may have a shot at this. So, here is the question...

Do I want to move to Fort Lauderdale? I know very little about the city, or the Miami area at all. I've never lived in Florida, and only been there on vacations. The city, for the one night I was there, seemed doable, but I don't know. I want to have some idea of what the place might be like incase I get an offer. So, if you live in Fort Lauderdale or the area or you used to or know someone who did or does, please tell me what it's like! I am a 28-year-old, single, straight, guy that loves the arts and has a very liberal lean politically and socially. From what I've read so far here and other places, I think I might be able to fit in there, but I'd like to here what you guys have to say. Tell me all the good, bad and ugly stuff.

I wouldn't base my whole decision on your advice, so don't be afraid you may steer me in the wrong direction, but it couldn't hurt. It will be a tough decision, if it comes to that. All of my family is here in Atlanta, and all of my friends. But, Fort Lauderdale is a short plane ride or a 10 hour drive away, so...maybe I could handle the distance. And maybe it is time to try something new and venture out on my own again?

Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
Atlantaactor,
I was 28 and single when I moved to Fort Lauderdale and must admit I had a great time. Then, as now, the restaurants, nightlife and recreational opportunities were right up there with any major metropolitan area. Combine that with the beaches and the year-round warm weather and you had a good place for a 28-year-old single. The arts/cultural scene was pretty much in its childhood back then and I wouldn't say it's up there yet with New York, Chicago, Boston, etc., but it's growing. Miami has a new performing arts center and both Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach have opened them since the early '90s.

As far as having a liberal political tilt, you'll fit right in -- Broward County generally votes about two-thirds Democratic because of the influx of residents from Northeast metropolitan areas (though there is a growing, vocal conservative Christian presence here thanks to two of the nation's biggest megachurches, Coral Ridge Presbyterian and Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale).

The biggest difference between when I moved here and now is cost of living. I was able to do OK then even on a relatively modest salary. You may have to do a little better than that now, though it's certainly more attainable than it would be for someone married with kids. Housing costs are very high, even after more than a year of real estate slump. Property insurance and property taxes have skyrocketed, and this will affect you even if you rent because the higher costs are passed along to the tenants. On the plus side, there's still no state income tax in Florida, which helps.

You'd be wise to focus on Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami. Though Lauderdale is not without dangerous crime, bad traffic and other urban ills, it's still somewhat livable. I enjoy visiting Miami occasionally and don't think it's the cesspool some make it out to be, but it wouldn't be my choice as a place to live.

Assuming you'd have a good job with a good salary, I'd encourage someone in your circumstances to at least take a good look at Fort Lauderdale and determine whether it's for you. You're not at the point in your life where you have to worry about kids winding up in a crime-ridden neighborhood with poor schools, and if you find you can't afford to live here or just don't like it, you're young enough and have enough flexibility to correct that mistake and pull up stakes.

Best of luck in your search, and feel free to send me a PM if you'd like more information.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 62,981 times
Chisoxfan,

What a great response! I appreciate your advice and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Atlantaactor

Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM

31 posts, read 118,684 times
I was born in Miami and have lived in the South Florida area my whole life. I think it can be a great place to live if you can afford it. Me personally I have just gotten tired of it and need a change (I'm sure everyone feels the same way at some point in their lives). I would have to agree chisoxfan and say that the Fort Lauderdale is better. Some of the burbs of Fort Lauderdale like Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines, Davie, Miramar (western parts), Weston, Tamarac, etc are all fairly nice places to live. If you are looking for somewhere more affordable I would suggest the northwestern part of Broward County/Fort Lauderdale like Coral Springs. Hope this helps!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:50 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and then we moved to the Panhandle to get away from the crime and gangs. We have been here for 13 years now and we went back to Ft. Lauderdale to visit relatives and found that we had the only red-headed kids within a 100 mile radius, we sat on I-95 for two hours, traffic was horrible, the people worse, and we were the only ones speaking english. I told my husband if he even mentioned visiting there again I would be filing for divorce. I don't like Florida at all and I especially don't like Ft. Lauderdale. It is a hotbed of crime. I think they are all moving up into the Panhandle because the same type of people are showing up here from down south.

I would go somewhere else if I were you....life is too short!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
"its a hotbed of crime"

Please...

The city has bad sections but its not out of control like Miami and West Palm Beach are!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:56 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
"its a hotbed of crime"

Please...

The city has bad sections but its not out of control like Miami and West Palm Beach are!
The day we decided to leave Ft. Lauderdale was the day when a gang of black hooded teens (hand guns drawn) chased another teen into the Winn Dixie (in a nice neighborhood) where I lived and shopped. My husband and newborn and 2 year old were out in the parking lot waiting for me when they flew by. The teen being chased was seeking shelter from the gang and would have been shot if not for the store manager. The thought that my babies could have been killed was the deciding factor for me to pick and get out of dodge, and this was not the only incident that we witnessed.

In all the years that I spent in Ft. Lauderdale, I had two friends gang raped, my brother was mugged several times, my sister was held up at knife point and her jewelry stolen. At 15 years old, a car load of black men tried to pull me into their car and we lived in an upper middle class neighborhood. Don't tell it's not out of control and that was years ago. It's gotten worse not better. As a matter of fact, after Andrew wiped out Homestead and parts of Miami, the gang activity moved into Ft. Lauderdale and we had a crime wave like we have never experienced before. I wouldn't go back if you paid me 10 million dollars.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:27 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
id say your experience is very rare...

Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 AM

59 posts, read 285,396 times
Well, judging by the large number of South FLoridians moving elsewhere in the state, I would say South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade) has its fare share of problems. I've been there once and never seen anything like it. I felt like I was in France the way people treat outsiders. They made it perfectly obvious they don't like newcomers. Tourists would ask questions and people would completely ignore them (or they didn't speak English and couldn't help them). Not a very hospitable environment at all. That is my impression. I'm sure there are a lot of nice people there, but I just didn't run accross any. Like I said though, I have only been there once.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:28 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANATIVE1 View Post
Well, judging by the large number of South FLoridians moving elsewhere in the state, I would say South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade) has its fare share of problems. I've been there once and never seen anything like it. I felt like I was in France the way people treat outsiders. They made it perfectly obvious they don't like newcomers. Tourists would ask questions and people would completely ignore them (or they didn't speak English and couldn't help them). Not a very hospitable environment at all. That is my impression. I'm sure there are a lot of nice people there, but I just didn't run accross any. Like I said though, I have only been there once.
What you are describing it the dynamic of a transient city. Even people who work in the stores are here today and gone tomorrow and don't really care much about their minimum wage jobs, don't expect any extra service. Few people other then maybe people from like Cuba have much in common , they are from all over the country. Thats just the way it is here and won't change anytime soon. Once you accept that it isn't that bad, even though I don't like it either I do understand it. I think most cities of this type are pretty much that way. You know where you are coming and shouldn't be surprised, it's not Mayberry.

The people you are saying who are leaving just go somewhere else and add to that dynamic of strangers and outsiders where they go. The small town feeling of years ago has been diluted and is a thing of the past. People don't live their whole lives in the same place they move around pretty often. Strangers become somewhat friends then you or them move on to never hear from each other again and the cycle continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area