Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:08 AM

673 posts, read 2,681,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Lets face it all big cities have its share of people that can't make it and leave and its share of people that did well, are retireing and are taking their wealth to areas where their money will go further. Fort Lauderdale is a beautiful city with alot to offer. We bought a house in Plantation, Quadrupled our money in a few short years, bought in Boneventure and did the same. For a stable Healty minded young person its a place where dreams can happen.
I think the picture you are painting is much too rosy. This is not how FL is now. Why do you think everyone is trying to get out? We made money there too, but only because of what the real estate market did before it crashed. I am glad to be out of there.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007rollinsband View Post
I moved from Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale 20 years ago, and love it. I don't think it has any more crime than other cities it's size, and is a great place for 20 something single professionals. There's a lot to do, and the diversity enables you to learn a lot.

That being said, it's become super-expensive to live here...don't expect to rent a decent apartment for less than $1000 per month. It's also important to come down here and learn the "pockets" of bad neighborhoods...generally everything along I-95, which can get really bad, really fast. You will have major sticker shock when it comes to renting, gas, cost of food, entertainment, etc. This is why a lot of middle class people are leaving. If you go to West Broward be prepared to contend with heavy traffic commutes. I live east of US-1, which is considered to be prime. I have no interest in anything west of I-95 except for Sawgrass Mall!

Still, I love the culture, energy, and convenience of everything...I do think I've become more stand-offish to strangers since I moved down here (just learning to be wise living in a city), but I've made some really great friends and there are a lot of good people here.
Thank you for an realistic perception. Finally, someone else who tells it how it is, minus the rose colored glasses.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 PM

40 posts, read 102,002 times
Check the other postings related to Fort Lauderdale and compare. Things have changed a lot. It is getting crowed and hard to live.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I think the picture you are painting is much too rosy. This is not how FL is now. Why do you think everyone is trying to get out? We made money there too, but only because of what the real estate market did before it crashed. I am glad to be out of there.

Thank you. For a second I was asking myself, is he talking about the same Ft Lauderdale? Not the same one everyone is trying to get out of...

The most realistic thing I can tell you, is give it a try if you are single and dont mind starting elsewhere if it does not work out. If you make enough money to live here, and can deal with many of its ills, try it. But at the same time, ask yourself why are so many leaving? It's been overrated, but some people still manage to live here and still say "they like it". What do you have to lose? It's better to have tried and failed than not trying and not knowing how it would have worked out. Those are my 2 cents...

Old 08-08-2008, 12:23 PM

710 posts, read 2,234,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
Really, EVERYONE is trying to get out? EVERY PERSON? Wow, I didn't think I was moving away, I just got back and love our decision to raise our kids here.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaactor View Post
So, I might have a job offer in Fort Lauderdale. It is a long story, but a few weeks ago I saw a job posting for a position in Fort Lauderdale. The listing said they were seeking local applicants only, but the job is exactly what I do and I'm not exactly happy, so I thought, "What the hell." Well, as fate would have it, the posting was removed the day after I sent my resume and my resume made it in, just under the wire and they called a few days later for a phone interview. Then they called two weeks ago to see if I could come down there for a second interview. I did and it seems that I am in the top 5 of 90 applicants and I may have a shot at this. So, here is the question...

Do I want to move to Fort Lauderdale? I know very little about the city, or the Miami area at all. I've never lived in Florida, and only been there on vacations. The city, for the one night I was there, seemed doable, but I don't know. I want to have some idea of what the place might be like incase I get an offer. So, if you live in Fort Lauderdale or the area or you used to or know someone who did or does, please tell me what it's like! I am a 28-year-old, single, straight, guy that loves the arts and has a very liberal lean politically and socially. From what I've read so far here and other places, I think I might be able to fit in there, but I'd like to here what you guys have to say. Tell me all the good, bad and ugly stuff.

I wouldn't base my whole decision on your advice, so don't be afraid you may steer me in the wrong direction, but it couldn't hurt. It will be a tough decision, if it comes to that. All of my family is here in Atlanta, and all of my friends. But, Fort Lauderdale is a short plane ride or a 10 hour drive away, so...maybe I could handle the distance. And maybe it is time to try something new and venture out on my own again?
Sorry your thread got hijacked LOL, FLL... that happens. As a mom of a 28 year old I say do it. Provided you CHECK OUT the company and make sure it's not BS. (unless they're a well known company). Also provided you have a few months savings to live on if something goes wrong, an exit strategy and you like looking for ways to make new friends (or are the "friendly" type).

You can fly home all the time on Spirit, I've taken a zillion flights over the years for $8.00, $24.00 even $1.00 . They have specials all the time. Even Southwest has some bargain fares. I've paid as little as 49.00 to Philly.

Another factor is if it'll further your career it would be better than if it's a big detour that might be detrimental. If you're actually an actor there's no such thing though probably

There are arts here and in WPB and other places too. Broadway Across America comes here. But no Nathan Lane, you get substitutes like in Atlanta.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
The day we decided to leave Ft. Lauderdale was the day when a gang of black hooded teens (hand guns drawn) chased another teen into the Winn Dixie (in a nice neighborhood) where I lived and shopped. My husband and newborn and 2 year old were out in the parking lot waiting for me when they flew by. The teen being chased was seeking shelter from the gang and would have been shot if not for the store manager. The thought that my babies could have been killed was the deciding factor for me to pick and get out of dodge, and this was not the only incident that we witnessed.

In all the years that I spent in Ft. Lauderdale, I had two friends gang raped, my brother was mugged several times, my sister was held up at knife point and her jewelry stolen. At 15 years old, a car load of black men tried to pull me into their car and we lived in an upper middle class neighborhood. Don't tell it's not out of control and that was years ago. It's gotten worse not better. As a matter of fact, after Andrew wiped out Homestead and parts of Miami, the gang activity moved into Ft. Lauderdale and we had a crime wave like we have never experienced before. I wouldn't go back if you paid me 10 million dollars.
OMG. So WHAT neighborhood was it? and Where was that Wynn Dixie?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM

59 posts, read 219,190 times
I lived in Ft lauderdale for eight years and can honestly say its a beautiful place only if you can afford to live east of 95, its expensive on the east side and any major storm system and you will have to evacuate. as for the people well thats a whole different story! I am sorry to say but you had better learn spanish as a first language and consider creole and patwah as second languages, there is virtually no customer service and most people could not give a hoot about you unless you are offering them something. I think you might want to look at the homeless situation also, there are people living under bridges and panhandling on every corner. with all that said if I were 30 years younger I would try it out but for us enough was enough and it was off to Tennessee and as a side note I was shopping for furniture at penneys here in Tn and when we were done the saleswoman came and gave me a big hug and thanked me for the sale. if that were ft lauderdale I would have to give her a hug and pray that she actually put my order through...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,711 times
Sorry to hijack the thread (slightly). What's the Deerfield Beach area like?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1156 View Post
Ifor furniture at penneys here in Tn and when we were done the saleswoman came and gave me a big hug and thanked me for the sale. if that were ft lauderdale I would have to give her a hug and pray that she actually put my order through...
Well funny you would say that, I bought furniture off the floor in Ft Lauderdale on Fed, from the largest furniture "chain" in Florida, it came "wrong".

I've been waiting for 18 weeks for the replacement and meanwhile can't use what they sent me because it's filled with down and I'm allergic. They promised me it wasn't down. So I'm sitting on a jacked up fake seat placed in the frame for 18 weeks.

The owner has been nothing but obnoxious from day one saying "you didnt stipulate no down on your sales copy". See, now you need to take your lawyer shopping with you when you spend six grand on furniture in FLL. They're doing YOU the favor.

HRMPH. I've called the store three times the past week and nobody even returns my call with info on when the replacemenet will be here.

FLL is definitely for the younger generation, less demanding, more patient, and more flexible I'm afraid. Even though I still think it has some good qualities. But I think even my 28 yr old kid would be furious like me, having to wait 18 weeks to sit on furniture that was supposed to come right off the showroom floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area