Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 09:59 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,178,148 times

Advertisements

All from Wyoming ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,272,165 times
All acquired for fighting forest fires?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,705,475 times
You got it, WyoNewk!

They are all firefighting aicraft. It looks to be a museum of them. What caught my attention were some really old C-130s, but they had been converted to firefighters.

Froggy - a couple were planes I'd never seen before in my life - they turned out to be Canadian. But were were a little right - they were all PARKED in Wyoming.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, but you are up...

Old 11-04-2013, 05:36 PM

Shoot! I had a question in mind when I answered it, but now I've forgotten what it was. I'll be back....

Old 11-04-2013, 06:11 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
You got it, WyoNewk!

They are all firefighting aicraft. It looks to be a museum of them.
The story I got was that the FBO operator there was an aerial fire-fighting outfit that settled into Greybull as having a suitable airfield, lots of cheap hangar space, and a reasonably accessible location to be on-call for the regional/Western contract fire fighting jobs.

It's a musuem only to the extent that the aircraft were used to the limit of their viable/financial service lives and then abandoned to be donor parts aircraft for any others that might yet be in service. IIRC, they are owned by B&G Industries, which is on-field as a full-service FBO with maintenance/repair/fuel operations still in business. Data from the airstrip says they get over 60 operations per week there, so they must have an active transient business. I'd guess that they service aircraft for the extractive industries biz or transients traveling through the region ....

I've wandered through the place a couple times in the last year, so got a good look at many of the birds parked there. Some pretty offbeat stuff, although most appear to be exmilitary and not civilian in origin or equipment. A few piston powered aircraft have rocket assisted take-off pods on them, which is kinda' rare.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 PM

You're right Sunsprit, as usual. In the 1980s I was on a couple air show committees for the Gillette airport. We had some great acts perform, and one of them was from Hawkins & Powers. They sent a couple aircraft, iirc, and demonstrated dropping fire retardant, I think onto a burning car. Hawkins & Powers sold out at auction in 2006. Here's a page with some nice pictures of the field and the old birds just after the auction. (Double-click the thumbnails to see them larger.) Propliner Hunting in Wyoming | Photography*| Fence Check

Back to the new question:

He inscribed his name in Independence Rock in 1840. Of Devil's Gap he wrote that a better name would have been "Heaven's Avenue."

Later, on his way to a meeting with Indians and government representatives at Fort Laramie in 1851, he traveled southward down the eastern edge of the Bighorn Mountains, then across southern Campbell County and noted the "Gourd Buttes," now known as the Pumpkin Buttes.

Another landmark was named after him during that trip. The name stuck, and the landmark remains today to be enjoyed by many Wyomingites.

Who was he, and what is the landmark named for him?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 PM

I know you're talking about Father Pierre-Jean De Smet, but I'm not certain about the landmark. I'm going to go with Lake De Smet, just north of Buffalo WY.... It is enjoyed by many Wyomingites, like my neighbor who fishes there most Saturday mornings.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Congratulations! You got it on both counts. I figure a lake the size of De Smet is a landmark, ain't it? I didn't want to say a lake was named after him because that would make it too easy.

Your turn.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Thank you, WyoNewk.

Here's a two-part question that has an easy first part and a not-so-easy second part:

Why is November 13. 1867, a very important date for Cheyenne, and what directly related project started a year earlier?

Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 PM

Easy part: The first train arrived in Cheyenne on the new Union Pacific Railroad. Believe it or not, I remembered that from (no, not from BEING THERE) a collection of 8x10 black and white photos I had when I was 10 years old. (58 years ago!) I sure wish I still had those pictures. They tracked the construction of the UP from Omaha to Utah.

Hard part: I dunno. You've sure had me hunting. Not looking for any credit, but maybe this will help someone get the whole answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming