Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 03:09 PM

19,162 posts, read 25,405,963 times

Advertisements

We are looking at new homes constructured raised.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:47 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times
Of coarse we have the long tested common crimes

There is alot of leapords.

He definately don't deserve a beatdown.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:56 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,872,646 times
"They were on the run petal to the metal"

Flower power!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:24 PM

True story: I have a new assistant at work. I'm a national clinical trainer for our company, and we have opened many new clinics in the past year. A new position was created for an assistant trainer due to my increased workload.

This week she completed her first assigned workflows and documents. When she showed them to me I quickly scanned a few pages and observed that they were full of grammatical and spelling errors, misplaced apostrophes, and run-on sentences.

I asked her if this was her rough draft, and she told me it was her final, completed project.

I thought about how I could tactfully approach this and finally remarked, casually, "Great, let's just run it through spell check then we can finalize the documents."

She said, "I've already spell checked everything. It's fine."

I gently started pointing out just a few things that I wanted to correct, and she quickly became angry.

She said, "I doubt if anyone is going to complain if there are spelling mistakes in the documents we send out. No one will care."

I pointed out that we are the Education and Training Department, and I can't post documents that contain spelling and grammatical errors.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:45 PM

First off thanks for telling me I have spelling mistakes. How many of you even said anything about the dish it's self? I take it you all spelled every thing correct seance you were 15 years old. I have every right to stand up and fight for my self. Its nice to see people come together even if its to kick a person in the rips And make them looked like a pieced of Sh**.

So wiseguy your serving yer fresh chicken on a dirty plate.

I wish I can watch I work!

Take you're know itall attitude with you.

He,s not like that All the time Take watch the show first before becomming Nasty your self!

Do he knows this page even exist?

Why are you asking questions you all ready know the answer of?

Old 04-12-2017, 05:16 PM

4,802 posts, read 2,812,873 times
Default I gotta gotta got no time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

I pointed out that we are the Education and Training Department, and I can't post documents that contain spelling and grammatical errors.
Just so, just so. I had a curriculum person I was doing written translations for (hand-outs for a teacher training), & she told me she didn't know markup - the standard English/Journalism markup, as no one has the time to actually write all that stuff out. So I made her a copy & asked her to hang onto it - 'cause there were a lot of typos & run-ons & fragments & etc. & we were going to work together a lot.

I wonder how she did, finally. It seemed weird to me, I figured that any college or university was going to run its students through @ least a basic English diagnostic, & drill drill drill on basic comp & lit. How she managed not to learn that stuff before is beyond me.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:54 AM

37,184 posts, read 41,377,016 times
My replacement flight was delayed due to in-climate weather about two hours.

I think it is absolutely ridicules to ...

Old 04-13-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Just so, just so. I had a curriculum person I was doing written translations for (hand-outs for a teacher training), & she told me she didn't know markup - the standard English/Journalism markup, as no one has the time to actually write all that stuff out. So I made her a copy & asked her to hang onto it - 'cause there were a lot of typos & run-ons & fragments & etc. & we were going to work together a lot.

I wonder how she did, finally. It seemed weird to me, I figured that any college or university was going to run its students through @ least a basic English diagnostic, & drill drill drill on basic comp & lit. How she managed not to learn that stuff before is beyond me.
Agreed. My new assistant was really upset with me for the rest of the day, and she kept mentioning that in college no one ever had a problem with her work.

The next day when she came in she apologized for being angry with me but said she still didn't "get it" why I wanted some of the corrections I had requested. In particular she took issue with the apostrophes I had highlighted.

Example: "Nursing student's should bring their lunch's and keep their cell phone's put away. On Monday's they will be given parking pass's for the week."

I felt like I was teaching third grade English class when I attempted to explain the proper use of an apostrophe. She argued with me and said that in each case the apostrophe (in the example I mentioned above) was for a "possession word." She said she learned "in college" (didn't most of us learn this in elementary school) they were taught that "possession words" always need an apostrophe.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:46 AM

4,802 posts, read 2,812,873 times
Default One swell foop

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Agreed. My new assistant was really upset with me for the rest of the day, and she kept mentioning that in college no one ever had a problem with her work.

Yah. Elements of style, run the spellchecker & the syntax checker, & drill drill drill. A good dictionary, an AP or Chicago Tribune stylebook (or your choice) - & watch her work like a hawk.

The funniest bit was people faxing in pencil on gray paper for translation &/or review. They always wanted the stuff (however many pages - right away).

Old 04-13-2017, 02:39 PM

There is nothing like wiry, thinning gray hair with shinny bald spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.