Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 AM

4,810 posts, read 2,853,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Vive le vas deferens!

Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,725,517 times
The Canadian boarder is just as easy to walk across as the Mexican boarder

Are they sleeping on the floor in that boarding house???

Old 11-18-2015, 01:56 PM

19,248 posts, read 25,684,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The Canadian boarder is just as easy to walk across as the Mexican boarder

Are they sleeping on the floor in that boarding house???
I have seen the opposite situation, where people use the word "border" when "boarder" would be appropriate.

When I worked for the child protective agency in my state, on a fairly frequent basis I would review caseworker reports that talked about "border babies", when referring to infants who are kept in hospitals on a long-term basis because no foster placement could be found. I tried pointing out the correct terminology on a few occasions, and all I got in return were blank stares.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:50 PM

Default The hunting of the snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I have seen the opposite situation, where people use the word "border" when "boarder" would be appropriate.

When I worked for the child protective agency in my state, on a fairly frequent basis I would review caseworker reports that talked about "border babies", when referring to infants who are kept in hospitals on a long-term basis because no foster placement could be found. I tried pointing out the correct terminology on a few occasions, and all I got in return were blank stares.

Better than blank stairs, I suppose. But let's face it - print literacy - in the sense of being able to write a straight, declarative sentence with good punctuation, word choice, spelling, appropriate tone, syntax, grammar - is eroding. The print media in the US are in serious trouble - there are not that many people who demand high print standards, & without those standards getting @ least token respect, the standards are falling.

We may simply have to fight a rearguard action to preserve written language as best we can. I think the written text is worth saving - our libraries contain cultural treasures that we should cherish. It's hard to say where written text will wind up - maybe just a kind of learned hieroglyphics that happens to show up here & there on building facades. Soon - a few hundred years - text may enter the land of myth.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:53 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,725,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Better than blank stairs, I suppose. But let's face it - print literacy - in the sense of being able to write a straight, declarative sentence with good punctuation, word choice, spelling, appropriate tone, syntax, grammar - is eroding.
Ugh! Your post reminded me of advertising for a TV show; Forensic Files, I believe.

It reads: (paraphrasing) What's a benefit of cell phones? Less strangulations by phone cords.

I want to contact the station and correct them! FEWER strangulations....!!!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:37 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,534,788 times
From facebook:

"It is common knowledge that cleaning baguettes cleaning baguettes cleaning."

Begets? In context, the intended meaning is cleaning causes more and more cleaning.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:21 AM

Default Alors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
From facebook:

"It is common knowledge that cleaning baguettes cleaning baguettes cleaning."

Begets? In context, the intended meaning is cleaning causes more and more cleaning.
Ahah! That's why I can't read the Bible for any amount of time without suddenly feeling an overwhelming hunger for starchy bread products (& a beret & horizontal-striped long-sleeved t-shirt, black tapered tight pants, maybe a scarf, & a Gauloise dangling from the lips, & maybe lounging beneath an old-style streetlamp in some disreputable arrondissement in the City of Light ...

Old 11-19-2015, 10:17 AM

37,312 posts, read 41,849,531 times
Well we were all kids once and I recall it was threat of corporate punishment which kept us three brothers in line.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:40 AM

Default This explains everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Well we were all kids once and I recall it was threat of corporate punishment which kept us three brothers in line.
Was it the Koch brothers, by any chance?

Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,534,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Ahah! That's why I can't read the Bible for any amount of time without suddenly feeling an overwhelming hunger for starchy bread products (& a beret & horizontal-striped long-sleeved t-shirt, black tapered tight pants, maybe a scarf, & a Gauloise dangling from the lips, & maybe lounging beneath an old-style streetlamp in some disreputable arrondissement in the City of Light ...
To be admitted to graduate school, a foreign language was required, so I chose French, since I envisioned myself someday hanging out on the Left Bank with other artists. Little did I know it was related to my highly religious, bible reading upbringing spurring me in that direction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing