Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,315,681 times

Advertisements

Here's a jewel I just ran across - I was going to post just the first few sentences but...where to stop? It just keeps going!

Quote:
im not a mutt Im an aristocrat, everybody like to combined the dna of dad and mom to get the mutt from everywhere. i dont believe in that method. yes its wrong but logical cant be followed, because on the woman side you start losing dna about the third generation, its get deluded.

I believe in following your pass is in the y chromo, since it barely change over generation as far or longer of 1000 years.
so since i can prove scottish back to 1200, then Im scottish, thats it, thats all. if my family was rape by a viking 1000 yeasrs ago then the y would not change and i would claim viking, but I'm scottish

Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,956,081 times
Comments on YouTube videos are rich sources of little-known information:

"Social paths create religions."

"statues are corporation business laws".

"They don't abuse it they don't go on wealth fare."

and

"reading the history of the church is fowl."

Who knew??

Old 11-04-2015, 12:17 PM

168 posts, read 135,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm from the south. I don't notice that word being "mispronounced." "Sale" and "sell" sound distinctly different to me.

"Sale" rhymes with "snail." " "Sell" rhymes with "shell."
I've lived in NC and GA and it seems even the radio pros can't or won't pronounce it correctly.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:33 PM

19,206 posts, read 25,478,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
I've lived in NC and GA and it seems even the radio pros can't or won't pronounce it correctly.

"Important" and "imported" are also pronounced identically by a whole host of folks who live south of the Mason-Dixon line.
This must result in a lot of confusion for those who are marketing imported goods.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:51 PM

1,248 posts, read 827,836 times
Just found these gems in an old thread about evolution:

Quote:
I grew up on a diary farm.
Quote:
The sick or weak gazelle, getting run down, killed and eaten by a Cheetah is natural selection. The strongest survived. But that doesn't elevate the strongest to another level. It just weeds out the week.
Natural selection weeds out the week - that's a fun biology fact. Amazingly, the author got it correct in the first line.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:03 PM

4,804 posts, read 2,823,475 times
Default There's more to it, I recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Just found these gems in an old thread about evolution:

Quote:
The sick or weak gazelle, getting run down, killed and eaten by a Cheetah is natural selection. The strongest survived. But that doesn't elevate the strongest to another level. It just weeds out the week.

Natural selection weeds out the week - that's a fun biology fact. Amazingly, the author got it correct in the first line.
Yah, but isn't it survival of the fittest? As I recall, this is reproductive success - the individual reproduces before nature, red in tooth & claw, drags him or her down to the sleep of eternity. So in the example above, if the gazelle reproduced before shuffling off this mortal coil, it satisfied its reproductive imperative. (& of course, there are many ways to fail the test of the fittest. If the gazelle can't reproduce - for whatever reason - too weak from hunger, disease, some organic problem - blockage in the Fallopian tubes, lack of myelin sheathing, what have you - it fails the test, & its genes aren't passed on to the next generation.)

Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 PM

19,206 posts, read 25,478,004 times
Today, I spied a crudely-lettered sign that was affixed to a utility pole. The message on the sign was "Cash 4 car's", and it was followed by a telephone number

Since, clearly, that person isn't interested in buying complete cars, I really wanted to know what the missing word might be, and which parts of cars that person might be interested in paying cash for (or 4). However, those details were missing.
Is he/she interested in paying cash for a car's...engine...transmission...seats...wheels...?

I was really tempted to phone the person who posted that sign, but because no area code was provided, I didn't want to phone that particular phone number in all of the 4 area codes that exist in my area.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,315,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Today, I spied a crudely-lettered sign that was affixed to a utility pole. The message on the sign was "Cash 4 car's", and it was followed by a telephone number

Since, clearly, that person isn't interested in buying complete cars, I really wanted to know what the missing word might be, and which parts of cars that person might be interested in paying cash for (or 4). However, those details were missing.
Is he/she interested in paying cash for a car's...engine...transmission...seats...wheels...?

I was really tempted to phone the person who posted that sign, but because no area code was provided, I didn't want to phone that particular phone number in all of the 4 area codes that exist in my area.

Lord hep the chile.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:41 PM

44,413 posts, read 20,164,065 times
This one made me laugh out loud!

Unless the OP is completely diluted as far as . . ..

I suppose the OP should drink less.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:43 PM

33,033 posts, read 36,611,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"Teeny tiny towns aren't the easiest to integrate into especially if everyone there is related by bloodier marriage..."

Vampire Town???
Village of the damned. I think that was a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing