Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 12:07 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,275,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Hmmm...Is the girl in question named...Dorothy?
Perhaps the school board thought her dress was so provocative that it might cause one of the boys to...poke Dot.

I'm sorry.
The Devil made me write that.

Polka Dotty was Rootie Kazootie's girlfriend.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:46 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,415,122 times
From...elsewhere:

Quote:
Really not worse the extended wait.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,666,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Poke a dots!

Not a big fan of poke a dots, but the dress is ok if it was a different print and color.
This makes me wonder what it is like for people who cannot spell to Google a topic they may be interested in. For instance, after reading this post, I started wondering where or how the term 'Polka Dot' originated. Maybe traditional Polka dancers used this particular type of material to make their dresses?

I wonder what results Google would give me for 'poke a dot'?

Hehe, I'm going to go find out right now!

EDIT:

Unbelievable!

Google has already compensated for the incorrect spelling!
There really ARE poke a dot dresses! (tee hee)

Old 04-30-2015, 01:20 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times
The Poke a dot poster blocked me. I was hoping to find more fodder for this thread. Ha!

Instead, I meandered over to a buy, sell, and trade group where I found some people discussing turtles.

There not very hard to take care of and their not filthy unless you take proper care for them.

An how much more bigger do they get?

I bout a book so I could know right away.

Ive legit taken care of them sense they were laid.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM

19,161 posts, read 25,405,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Google has already compensated for the incorrect spelling!
There really ARE poke a dot dresses! (tee hee)
Companies taking...compromised...literacy into account isn't really that new.
Back in the late '60s, I can recall looking for something in the Manhattan phone directory, and finding that the Barnes & Noble bookstore (there was just one location in those days!) was listed twice--once under the correct spelling, and also as Bonds & Noble.

Given the type of regional accent frequently heard in the Metro NY/NJ area, I guess that it was probably a good idea to list the store's name as a lot of folks might have mispronounced it, but somehow the idea of needing to intentionally misspell the name of a bookstore is just an...unusual... concept IMHO.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:28 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times
I'm sorry. Seriously, I have to get off the internet before my brain turns to mush. But look...a thread about a local nature preserve that is being abused by people littering.

Really how unrespectful. (The poster was responding to the topic of conversation, but the poster who posted immediately before her jumped down her throat, asking, "Whose unrespectful!")

Parents need to monitor there kids now of days.

For the people that think that ___ is owned by the city its not the little old lady the ownes cheese is owner of ___but the city takes care of it she opened to the public is it still private property she has the right to close it doen.

The last comment is particularly puzzling. The little old lady owns cheese AND the nature preserve? Lucky her!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:49 PM

19,161 posts, read 25,405,963 times
From a discussion about defunct restaurants and other establishments that have disappeared:

"I she yet to find max and cheese as good and potato pancakes, frank and beans. Ugh how I miss that place wish I could get the recipe."

Speaking for myself, "I she yet" want that recipe for franks and beans.
Those gourmet dishes are sooooo difficult to replicate.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,926,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
From a discussion about defunct restaurants and other establishments that have disappeared:

"I she yet to find max and cheese as good and potato pancakes, frank and beans. Ugh how I miss that place wish I could get the recipe."

Speaking for myself, "I she yet" want that recipe for franks and beans.
Those gourmet dishes are sooooo difficult to replicate.

Are Max and Frank buddies??

Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,364,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Are Max and Frank buddies??
Sure, they're part of the new Three Stooges- their other friend is called Beans.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:12 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,564,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Sure, they're part of the new Three Stooges- their other friend is called Beans.

I remember them! They are related to Dewey, Cheatham, & Howe!

I once went to a friend's house and he made frank and beans. And he ruined it by putting in too much black pepper. That is pretty bad when you ruin a frank and beans casserole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.