Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 01:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,392,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
A friend of mine taught an Intro to Visual Art course at a community college, and he discovered--to his great dismay--that it was not a good idea to pronounce Queen Nefertiti's name as it should be pronounced. When he pronounced it properly during his first semester teaching that course, it produced gales of laughter, with one student informing him..."Ha! Ha! You said t i t t y!"

Thereafter, when discussing sculptures of Queen Nefertiti, he referred to her as "Neferteddy". Although it galled him to no end, it was just so much easier to mispronounce that name, rather than have to deal with immature reactions from his students.

Hahaha that reminds me of this one:
There were some flowers called peonies growing around a house where I lived as a child. An older person said she always called them pie-nees because 'peonies' sounded like 'pee.'

Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,712,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Hmm... I'll continue on with how my mother handled it. If a word had the sound of a s s, she could not say it. It would be harussment, arstranaut, arstronomical but the exception was if she was reading aloud from the bible... then she would say the word. (After all, how could the scripture be wrong?)
Did she say terlet (toilet) like Archie Bunker?

I'm lovin' your mother, btw.

Quote:
A friend of mine taught an Intro to Visual Art course at a community college, and he discovered--to his great dismay--that it was not a good idea to pronounce Queen Nefertiti's name as it should be pronounced. When he pronounced it properly during his first semester teaching that course, it produced gales of laughter, with one student informing him..."Ha! Ha! You said t i t t y!"

Thereafter, when discussing sculptures of Queen Nefertiti, he referred to her as "Neferteddy". Although it galled him to no end, it was just so much easier to mispronounce that name, rather than have to deal with immature reactions from his students.

I teach math so I have to make sure that no problems have an answer of sixty-nine. The same goes for scored papers: those stinkers got a C- because I rounded it up to 70% so that I wouldn't have any explaining to do.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,528,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Did she say terlet (toilet) like Archie Bunker?

I'm lovin' your mother, btw.

<snipped>
Oh no, toilet was toilet. I tend to tell many stories involving my mother. They often seem more fitting than anything else. Unfortunately, I'm often far too critical.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:

It supports the accusation that cc is an extension of high school. They aren't quite ready for the university.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:32 PM

I just realized that I thought it was pronounced Nef-er-tee-tee. Although, that may not be enough of a distinction for a boy in 13th grade.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:42 PM

19,242 posts, read 25,647,357 times
Quote:
I just realized that I thought it was pronounced Nef-er-tee-tee. Although, that may not be enough of a distinction for a boy in 13th grade.
Whether it is pronounced as "Nefertitty" or as "Neferteetee", it doesn't take much for an 18-20 year old male to become...distracted...by that reference.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:07 PM

89,254 posts, read 86,099,612 times
Quote:
I thought it was pronounced that way, too.

How do we know? Is anybody still alive who knew her?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:43 PM

12,440 posts, read 15,010,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...Is anybody still alive who knew her?
I "nefer" knew her (badum-bum). Sorry, we were on the subject of school-boy humor, I couldn't resist.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I "nefer" knew her (badum-bum). Sorry, we were on the subject of school-boy humor, I couldn't resist.
You scoundrel, you.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

Shouldn't that be ba-dump-bump?

And then how would you spell the cymbals after? Shpee?

These things matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.