Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 11:18 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,957,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You’re completely dismissing the fact OP states she had difficulty multitasking in her last job too and in fact was let go due to it. She admits making a mistake that could have cost them s client. I think they are being very generous with OP. OP admits to struggling to get her work done to the point she’s coming in on days off, admits she had similar trouble in last job, so really I’m not sure why you think OP should cut and run, especially considering this is her first job in this new field since graduating. I think she’d be a fool not to try to learn how to be competent in the job and to stick through the tough learning curve.
Too generous if the mistake was that grave. These days employers get rid of you for much less.

It's awfully suspicious. I was let go a couple years ago for speaking out against management indirectly out of concern we'd lose the client by deprioritizing them. The client loved me. The client dropped them shortly after.

So given my own direct experience as well as observation of others you'll acknowledge how I could be suspicious that the OP is f***ing up on the job as the primary reason for the trouble. If such was the case they'd have just booted her out already especially given she's a contractor.

It sounds like based on the latest facts that OP is actually one of the few competent ones on the team. The rest seem like misdirected or gossipy f*** ups including the bi-polarific manager.

Similar to me they will likely extend the contract and terminate it once they lose the client for other reasons. In the meanwhile they'll need to use OP as the scapegoat for all the problems to internal and external stakeholders.

OP make sure to answer my questions above please.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,516,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The manager is spinning her wheels wasting her time trying to cover up for her own ineptitude and using OP as a scapegoat. There's half of you on here interpreting this story in a completely different perspective. Meanwhile to me it wreaks of incompetence on part of the department and not OP based on the details thus far.
I agree. But C-D seems to have a lot of middle managers, and these people never think they're the problem. There are a handful of reasonable management folks here, but I'd love to see the turnover rates for the rest of them.

Quote:
Either that or she needs to become a Hollywood screenwriter.
Not outside the realm of possibility lol. I can't imagine any employer putting up with this from a contractor for so long. Some places will terminate contactors if they breathe wrong. If this is a true story, the organization obviously doesn't feel they're in a good position to terminate her...which says a lot.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 PM

359 posts, read 305,507 times
Quote:

OP I already begged you to leave but seemingly you refuse. So let's level set and recap again so we can refocus on the ultimate outcome here.

- Have you been issued a formal PIP and if so, what is the end date?

- How many months can you comfortably survive financially with or without unemployment insurance? Do you have designated friends or family you can stay with until you can get back on your feet?

- How long have you been here at this current role as of November 2018? How many months?

- What is the end date of your contract and what is the original contingency plan for when it ended without renewal?

- How many contract roles have you had back to back in succession over the past 5 years?

I know you told me to throw in the towel but that would give the manager what she probably wants and it would be financially reckless unless I had another offer lined up.

Answers to your questions above:
A1: No but I was reading a company HR guide and the sit downs pointing out my so called mistakes is step 1 in the disciplinary action process. Next step is written warning together with HR, then suspension (if warranted), and finally termination.
A2: A few months if I stay in the same city and house. More if I reduce living expenses. No friends and family but I can find a cheaper room to rent.

A3: Over 6 months, less than 12

A4: End: spring 2019. Original plan was to search for another opportunity if it looked like contract wasn't going to be renewed or convert to full time perm.
A5: This is my first contract role. Previously held full time "perm" positions.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:21 PM

359 posts, read 305,507 times
One of the reasons why I think the manager hasn't moved towards termination yet is because she needs me to cover TT's upcoming absence. While the screws continue to tighten I think they need me for another month or so, at which point they'll be fully staffed again, my client's account will have closed and they can cut me loose. I did hear the manager was busy attending interviews lately and I don't know whether wthat's to replace me with someone else or for another position. The fact she recently told me she'd give me 2 weeks notice.... to adapt to a new schedule made me think of the dreaded 2 weeks notice of termination.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:13 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,792,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
One of the reasons why I think the manager hasn't moved towards termination yet is because she needs me to cover TT's upcoming absence. While the screws continue to tighten I think they need me for another month or so, at which point they'll be fully staffed again, my client's account will have closed and they can cut me loose. I did hear the manager was busy attending interviews lately and I don't know whether wthat's to replace me with someone else or for another position. The fact she recently told me she'd give me 2 weeks notice.... to adapt to a new schedule made me think of the dreaded 2 weeks notice of termination.
I don't get it.

Why can't you just follow through what they ask of you? It sounds like they're giving you a chance to improve or they find someone better to do the job.

Quote:
I don't really understand the comment high school teeny bobber drama. Elaborate please. I also disagree with how contractors are treated vs. regular perm employees - we're doing the same job but why is the microscope on me? There's one guy who literally pulls out a textbook and studies the last 2 hours of his shift, it's well known he plans to write some test for a new career direction. Imagine openly studying materials while you're supposed to be working...and have the protection of being a full time perm employee. It's such BS that those employees can get away with the lack of work ethic while I'm genuinely trying, yet seem to be everyone's favorite target.
Because it sounds like you have a problem with everyone and everything.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I know you told me to throw in the towel but that would give the manager what she probably wants and it would be financially reckless unless I had another offer lined up.

Answers to your questions above:
A1: No but I was reading a company HR guide and the sit downs pointing out my so called mistakes is step 1 in the disciplinary action process. Next step is written warning together with HR, then suspension (if warranted), and finally termination.
A2: A few months if I stay in the same city and house. More if I reduce living expenses. No friends and family but I can find a cheaper room to rent.

A3: Over 6 months, less than 12

A4: End: spring 2019. Original plan was to search for another opportunity if it looked like contract wasn't going to be renewed or convert to full time perm.
A5: This is my first contract role. Previously held full time "perm" positions.
Quote:
OK based on the above info we can assume a few things within reason:

1) They need you onboard a little longer. But think of end of year as the probable early termination date. Is there a clause in your contract which requires 2 weeks notice - Is that what you're referring to in your last sentence?

2) You should qualify for unemployment, depending on the state. It's possible they are trying to get you to quit early to save on that, but there is a tug of war between losing face from an important client (inevitably they will drop the ball on work when you leave or get terminated) vs. paying less for unemployment. I guess the political party who demands resources for the client is winning out.

3) Given this is your first contract role DO NOT accept another contract role if at all possible. You need to start aggressively making plans to relocate if necessary and secure FT permanent. You said no family no friends. Is that just within this current region you're working in - Or do you literally have no one you can rely on for 3 months? How much room do you have on credit cards? You need to be thinking of every which way you can escape this situation ASAP. You need to be able to get out on your own terms and land on your feet.

4) What are your credentials (degree, certifications) in general and your industry? It seems your current job function lends itself to precarious environments where you are held responsible for other people's incompetence. One of the core reasons I decided to focus on my job function which is akin to IT project management but for Martech integrations specifically is it is more of an individual contributor role and a field with few experts. Most people in either IT or Marketing don't have the domain knowledge I have, historically the two haven't played nicely at most F500s. Can you find a similar niche field where you are more in control of the knowledge and can't be bossed around? One of the big reasons I am autonomous and have lower stress is because a) People don't want to do my job b) It is a relatively underemphasized role but that is changing quickly which means more opportunity for growth. I have a head start on the competition because most don't know about the job function itself or why it's necessary. There's no way to automate my job. The silos and politics in most large companies make it impossible. Start thinking about corporate America in this way and capitalize off of the structural deficiencies instead of becoming a victim of it.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I don't get it.

Why can't you just follow through what they ask of you? It sounds like they're giving you a chance to improve or they find someone better to do the job.

Because it sounds like you have a problem with everyone and everything.
Why don't you read the details of the situation before commenting. You would not be asking these questions or making these inaccurate assessments if you had done so.

This is pure badgering and not constructive feedback. If you don't want to engage with the OP just don't reply here it's that simple.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:30 AM

51,707 posts, read 37,463,981 times
Quote:
Why don't you read the details of the situation before commenting. You would not be asking these questions or making these inaccurate assessments if you had done so.

This is pure badgering and not constructive feedback. If you don't want to engage with the OP just don't reply here it's that simple.
Many of us feel differently than you do about the situation. I think what’s unhelpful is enabling her to run away rather than learn to solve problems at work. OP has a history of problems at work places. Also not all contractors are eligible for unemployment. I was not. If they don’t take taxes out of your paycheck then you’re not eligible. Contract work is not the same as a temporary worker.

Per the OP, this is her first job in a new field that she just graduated in. In my opinion it behooves her to do her best to repair the situation and leave with a good reference. It is not impossible. They are trying to work with her in my opinion.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,792,566 times
Quote:

Uh, I was a contractor for two years. OP should not be involved in any kind of ridiculous drama that's putting her position in jeopardy.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:00 PM

13,032 posts, read 9,335,542 times
Quote:

I tend to agree with ocnjgirl. We have read the details, including previous posting history and we're all coming to a very different story than you are. What you're telling her does feel good for a while, but it doesn't do anything to fix the underlying issues. If she followed your advice, she'll just be back in a few months with a similar problem. Though it may not be as emotionally satisfying, the rest of us are trying to help the OP get past the emotion and understand what is causing these repeating problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment