Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 11:00 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,953,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
How you responded to the feedback (#4) is why you are being micromanaged and reinforced the manager’s perception of your negative attitude. Your manager brought you situations which you should have owned, not argued or blamed others. Even if something catches you off guard you say, “that’s the first I’ve heard that but I’m glad I know now”. Honestly your manager sounds pretty great giving you suggestions and (hopefully) a chance to improve.
How about managers not ambushing people with allegations and hearing their side of the story before coming to a conclusion and determining they need to compensate for someone else's incompetence

She just described there have been NUMEROUS complaints about the employees who complained about her. All 3 of them were not perfect angels and have caused problems in the past. This is like believing a group of problem children on the playground just because they all point the finger at the new kid billy. And saying now Billy has to go to detention and needs to learn to get along with his peers

This is why everyone is out for themselves because they know now mob rule is law and just because multiple people say something the credibility of the accusers doesn't matter as long as they are a member of the "clique".

Old 10-09-2018, 11:05 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,866,236 times
Well, today we had a worker who'd been with us about a week, work a machine and the job is known as "The Temp Killer" It's easy when you know where and what to trim. Which 3 people (Which included the Supervisor) showed him where and what.

Well, QC went to him twice and came to me begging to trim the parts he missed (I was on a work or leave it job, so I had time). I was able to get the machine shut down, showed him where to trim and then we let it go....Just before last break QC went and found parts untrimmed a third time, she complained and then told me "He's mad"

Well, another worker went to relieve him and he took his tools and left. No "Goodbye" just out the door. We cleaned up the area and I took over then found that he's been giving "Attitude" to many of the other (Females) so we could see he just didn't have the mentality to deal with correction...

Yet he sat there at lunch and said "I was trained to give me best at all times".....

That's my contribution. Take it for what it's worth...

Old 10-09-2018, 11:20 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,435,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
You're right, I should try to tune out the drama, possibly start wearing earphones with music like this 1 guy who told me how fed up he is of the shouting and outbursts by young women who act like they're in high school and look for another job. But I want to try to salvage relationships before jumping ship and I need to find ways to get management to see me as the courteous effective worker they praised me for in the past. I would like to implement the manager's suggestions on how to work faster, write less (she suggested using bulleted lists instead of writing full sentences) and be more positive. Who can I ask for a reference and at what point should I approach them? While my contract ends in Feb 2019, there is a clause that they can terminate it prematurely for cause and without cause, they need to give 2 weeks notice or pay in lieu thereof.
Yes, do everything in your power to tune out the drama. If wearing headphones would help you and it's allowed at work, do that. Just smile and nod at your coworkers. Whatever your manager suggests, follow those suggestions.

If you feel yourself getting frustrated or upset with coworkers or customers in email, put that work aside, do something else until you've calmed down and then go back to it later.

Make it your goal to get to the end of your contract without getting fired and no more dramas. You don't have that much longer, I think you can do it.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,812,977 times
Sounds like a crazy and poisonous environment that you are in. I would plan to leave that employer as soon as you can.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM

13,309 posts, read 8,592,598 times
The honeymoon phase is over. Most newcomers get the warm welcoming ..then the person gets a thwap of reality for how business is really run.
When I see this I often take a smidgen of thanks because...now I know what lays ahead. Buckle up ..it's a bumpy ride.
And no I do not believe that a person is ultimately the problem...the gist is...how do both sides objectively work towards the goal. We are not robots or mindless beings....we bring our entire self to a job...it's called being all in. I cringe to think that folks actually exist that tell you to $uck it up. What a horrid phrase. Change would drown if ppl just did as that phrase states.

Op...I'm sorry this is happening. ..stay strong and keep your wits. A common ground can be had.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:21 PM

683 posts, read 619,425 times
OP - when there is a pattern of your not fitting into any of the environments you have worked in (I still remember your "it's too noisy at work" & your "I'm not properly trained" threads), you should ask yourself what is the common factor in those situations. Identify it, and the problem is 80% solved. But you may not like what you find.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:17 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,463,257 times
just quit, walk out today, before lunch

Old 10-09-2018, 05:21 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,798,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
How about managers not ambushing people with allegations and hearing their side of the story before coming to a conclusion and determining they need to compensate for someone else's incompetence

She just described there have been NUMEROUS complaints about the employees who complained about her. All 3 of them were not perfect angels and have caused problems in the past. This is like believing a group of problem children on the playground just because they all point the finger at the new kid billy. And saying now Billy has to go to detention and needs to learn to get along with his peers

This is why everyone is out for themselves because they know now mob rule is law and just because multiple people say something the credibility of the accusers doesn't matter as long as they are a member of the "clique".
I think some people are just more familiar with the OP’s posting history and her problem finding and keeping jobs. This seems to happen with every job she has. While certainly the other employees sound like they have issues, the way the OP is going about addressing those issues appears to be problematic.

I think everyone wants the OP to succeed. In past jobs, she’s lasted only a few months and seems to be doing relatively well at this one. I’d be lying if I said I haven’t lashed out at someone when I had a bad day, because I’ve done it and I wasn’t proud of myself. However, I sucked it up and had to apologize. It made work more pleasant overall. Obviously the OP is not going to be able to make those difficult people less difficult, but she can change how she reacts to them to make it slightly less pleasant.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 PM

51,620 posts, read 37,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
just quit, walk out today, before lunch
I think it’s very irresponsible to tell someone to do this, unless you’re prepared to pay their bills.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 PM

245 posts, read 154,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it’s very irresponsible to tell someone to do this, unless you’re prepared to pay their bills.
No kidding. IMO, it's best to let them fire you and file for unemployment. Just make sure they don't have a bunch of write-ups or other formal documentation that could get you denied.

Also, it helped me to emotionally divorce myself from toxic work situations. I did xyz, got paid for it, and reminded myself that the people there didn't really matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment