Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 11:43 AM

359 posts, read 306,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
OK based on the above info we can assume a few things within reason:

1) They need you onboard a little longer. But think of end of year as the probable early termination date. Is there a clause in your contract which requires 2 weeks notice - Is that what you're referring to in your last sentence?
Yes.

Quote:
2) You should qualify for unemployment, depending on the state. It's possible they are trying to get you to quit early to save on that, but there is a tug of war between losing face from an important client (inevitably they will drop the ball on work when you leave or get terminated) vs. paying less for unemployment. I guess the political party who demands resources for the client is winning out.

Employer deducts tax from my gross salary. I'll have to check the minimum # of weeks / hours worked to be eligible for unemployment.

Quote:
3) Given this is your first contract role DO NOT accept another contract role if at all possible. You need to start aggressively making plans to relocate if necessary and secure FT permanent. You said no family no friends. Is that just within this current region you're working in - Or do you literally have no one you can rely on for 3 months? How much room do you have on credit cards? You need to be thinking of every which way you can escape this situation ASAP. You need to be able to get out on your own terms and land on your feet.

Why do you advise against another contract (temporary) role vs. FT permanent? I actually have my eye on an ad in my current city and same field but it's temp.

I have no one I can rely on. I lived with my parents between my last job and this one and learned to never do it again. I have built up some savings. I will not rely on my credit card, the interest rate is too high to get into debt.

Quote:
4) What are your credentials (degree, certifications) in general and your industry? It seems your current job function lends itself to precarious environments where you are held responsible for other people's incompetence..

unrelated college degree, tech diploma in logistics - current industry: same.

Update: I just learned that a key full time perm. employee is leaving my major client within 2 weeks and that client has a tendency to reject outsourcing of replacement staff due to additional costs. Therefore this means the client will be sending less projects my way and he's already closing his account, so you know what that means. My employer will have even more reason to move towards early termination.

It's now critical that I make strategic moves to secure a better future, starting with the revised schedule the manager proposed. Consider the fact I'll be applying to new jobs so the current schedule should facilitate interviewing without the need to call in sick (I don't even have sick day benefits - if I call in sick, it's unpaid, plus since TT is leaving for a few weeks, being absent puts even more strain on my current employer).

Here are the new schedule choices and they may only last a month due to possible early contract termination:

option 1: Sat-Wed on: 7:30 am-5:30pm (10 hrs/shift), Thu, Fri off. I'd be working alone Sat-Sun , 20 hrs/week , the busiest days and be handling the whole team's projects and clients

or

option 2: Sun-Thu on: 11:30 am-7:30 pm (8 hrs/shift), Fri-Sat off

Keep in mind I currently live with a roommate who's a night owl and doesn't let me sleep before 1-1:30am. It sucks but the house is close to work. I could move if I have to though.

Option 1 is hard for me to start at 7:30am but it would allow me to eat dinner at a reasonable time and use evenings to go to the gym, library, apply for new jobs plus more importantly, Thu-Fri to have interviews.
Option 2: Could allow me to attend interviews weekday mornings near work until let's say 10:30am, although that doesn't leave much room since many don't start as early as 9am, so I'd basically rely on Fri as the interview day.

Which would you choose and why? Manager wants a reply asap.

Also please join me in the Job Search sub forum where I posted a question.

Last edited by sedonaverde; 11-12-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,975,454 times
Option 1

Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,270,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Which would you choose and why?
2, because you seem to have trouble handling the workload by yourself.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,344,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Uh, I was a contractor for two years. OP should not be involved in any kind of ridiculous drama that's putting her position in jeopardy.
As was I.
I never got involved in any "controversy" because I didn't actually work for them. Contract ran out, went on to the next.
That one turned into an actual job. This was 27 years ago and I'm still at that job.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:45 PM

603 posts, read 452,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
2, because you seem to have trouble handling the workload by yourself.

I hope you choose the second option as well for the same reason ^

Old 11-13-2018, 01:53 PM

51,852 posts, read 37,644,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
I hope you choose the second option as well for the same reason ^
I agree. I want to add OP, you were a new grad when you started here. When you start a second job they will expect you to be experienced and able to hit the ground running. If I were you I would take all the help they are willing to give you to learn how to do this job better before you move onto a second job. Since you were new at this it shouldn’t be an actual surprise that you’re not as good at it as people who have been doing it for a while. Try to not take it personally and open your mind to what they are saying it may help you in the future

Old 11-15-2018, 12:02 AM

Manager invited me to discuss the schedule and I made a decision to sacrifice a weekday off, please TT and other colleagues who felt I should be in the office more often when they're around. Option 1 had a typo but it's irrelevant - I ended up choosing option 2.

Unfortunately I will have to deal with more noise which breaks my concentration as well as that of others - I feel there's a lot of immaturity and goofing off from the younger crowd like watching videos, listening to music, talking about their hobbies, etc. while I'm handling work email - but I know that I have limited choices right now and sticking out my neck by complaining about them won't help. I might confront the annoying colleague who turns up this chime noise on her cell phone such that every message results in a "BING! BING!" sound - drives me nuts, but no use escalating it.

Now time will tell how the manager reacts to me being there more often when she is - but I will definitely keep my eye open for other opportunities as they arise. The real test is around the corner - TT's upcoming time off where I'll be working full time 6 days a week for a month, then likely have my contract cancelled when she returns and I'm told, thanks for your help but sorry! we don't need you anymore.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:28 AM

9,889 posts, read 11,906,869 times
As some one that spent my entire work life in the business world mostly in mamagement, I have a few thoughts.

1...You have a very forgiving manager. Most managers would have gotten rid of you a long time ago, and I would have done the same.

2...You call it micro managing and resent it. It is obvious, is she is trying to get a handle on things with a problem employee. A problem employee is one getting multiple complaints about them, and she needs to know if you are the source of the problem, or is it others causing the problems for you.

3...When you kind of blew up at her, she was kind. Most managers, would have fired you on the spot.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:48 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,975,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Manager invited me to discuss the schedule and I made a decision to sacrifice a weekday off, please TT and other colleagues who felt I should be in the office more often when they're around. Option 1 had a typo but it's irrelevant - I ended up choosing option 2.

Unfortunately I will have to deal with more noise which breaks my concentration as well as that of others - I feel there's a lot of immaturity and goofing off from the younger crowd like watching videos, listening to music, talking about their hobbies, etc. while I'm handling work email - but I know that I have limited choices right now and sticking out my neck by complaining about them won't help. I might confront the annoying colleague who turns up this chime noise on her cell phone such that every message results in a "BING! BING!" sound - drives me nuts, but no use escalating it.

Now time will tell how the manager reacts to me being there more often when she is - but I will definitely keep my eye open for other opportunities as they arise. The real test is around the corner - TT's upcoming time off where I'll be working full time 6 days a week for a month, then likely have my contract cancelled when she returns and I'm told, thanks for your help but sorry! we don't need you anymore.
You got the right idea and good you are mentally prepared for the outcome. What are your survival plans for UE? Do you have any leads? Time to make a new thread so people can help you on your job search. This job is done.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Default Uh oh. Lost one client, another complained, now suddenly supervisor wants to "chat"

After struggling in past years to find steady work, I went back to school, relocated a few times and got what I thought was a promising job in a new field. It's a 1 year contract position set to expire within a month.

Things were going OK for a while until a micromanaging boss decided to pick on a colleague and I, making us do extra work that didn't apply to the others, making me CC her on every email, claiming I was rude to clients and colleagues alike, etc. while the general consensus in the office from other colleagues was that I was sometimes "too nice" and a pushover. Luckily that 1 micromanager took a leave of absence and I thought things could start fresh with a new supervisor.

At first the new supervisor was better but soon enough I noticed she would become very demanding, for example an email would come in that wasn't even high priority, and we'd have to drop everything we were doing to answer it. Recently an email came in at let's say 4:13pm and when I hadn't answered it at 4:19pm, she sent an email to our group and CC'ed her boss asking me to please take care of it. For an email sent 6 minutes prior in a 10 hour shift!

Recently a client decided to close his account through no fault of my own, so while I was busy when he had projects for us, now I'm less so. Then another client was going to be away for 1 month and again, nothing for me. We've been having trouble with a third client due to regulatory / compliance issues that they think don't apply to them, but I have to be the "bad" person who laid out all the rules for them and had to keep reminding them of the rules and limits, so that caused some friction. Then recently there was some strained communication with the client whereby I used wording that I now regret and that the woman overreacted to, claiming that my request was highly inappropriate, she was offended and and she felt that her privacy was violated. It involved asking her about a sensitive subject that none of us like to ask but was necessary to comply with our company's rules. I can't go into specifics but let's just say, some people, especially wealthy ones just hate when "service workers" beneath them make requests that they disagree with or feel that don't apply to them because of the socio economic status. Unfortunately a colleague who was CC'ed on the woman's complaint decided to throw me under the bus and escalated it to the new micromanaging supervisor and the account rep.

As a result of the escalation, I reached out to the supervisor to defend my position but was open minded enough to request guidance. She replied that what I wrote was unprofessional and that I should look at my colleagues' written communication for guidance. I asked her for an example of what she would write and she said we'll discuss it when I'm back in the office. OK...I left it as is.

Then she sent me an email asking me to complete a performance evaluation ahead of my colleagues because I had days off. It was the standard what are your strengths and weaknesses, areas for improvement, what will you action to make changes, etc.

Knowing I would get reprimanded when I returned to the office, today I got a surprise from the supervisor inviting me for a meeting to "chat". But the thing is, the meeting room she chose is the same one I interviewed in when first hired and so I have a feeling she'll let me go tomorrow due to lack of work, some complaints - the one client apparently demanded a meeting with them the following day and that client probably wants to see me removed as their rep , i.e .fired.

So what would you advise I do today, the day before the serious talk with the supervisor and possible firing and during the meeting itself? I have my company issued laptop and can gather some contact info and forward it to my personal email as needed. Also looking for tips on how to take criticism that'll surely come me way. I'd like to request references from certain people but don't want to do it by email as that can easily be forwarded.

I was hoping to get a contract extension not termination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment