Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 PM

29 posts, read 25,180 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I had an interview today with a company very close to my home. My current job is only part time because my hours were cut. I applied to this new company because it would cut down my commute significantly.

But I have some concerns. I'm used to working for a flexible boss and laid back office culture. I have to move on because I need full time. My concerns with this new company are that they are "old school." The manager brought up today that they don't allow cell phones on the desk. Really? I'm not one of those people that uses my phone all day during work. No going on the internet. And she brought up how important attendance is - I take that to mean they aren't very flexible. I wouldn't expect to take time off on a regular basis. For medical reasons I go to the Dr. twice a month. Which means I would be late two mornings a month.

I have worked for companies that allow me to use the internet as long as my work is done. I haven't been told I couldn't have my cell phone out since my first job out of high school. I'm 35. I don't know maybe I have had it too easy? It just seems like a really rigid work culture. Red Flags? Or have I been spoiled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,620,921 times
you're spoiled... get over it

take the job, if you don't like it, then switch later on

do you have a better option for a job?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 PM

6,274 posts, read 4,725,899 times
The medical appointment issue could be something that's discussed upfront when you receive a job offer before you accept it.

The phone issue may have resulted from people who abused that because honestly, there are people who do rampantly abuse that and would spend more time on their phones than working if they could.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:32 AM

9 posts, read 8,241 times
I guess you just have been spoiled. The work culture is pretty fine. Unless you have a better option, I suggest you just take the job. Most of the businesses I knew had the same culture. There should be no phones during work hours and you should never be late (unless there's an emergency or you got sick). At the end of the day, you might even learn something from that "rigid" culture.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,790,705 times
I think of “attendance is important” as being a culture where they don’t tolerate people who regularly call in. That doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t have a recurring appointment. They might be able to work around your appointments by allowing you to make up the hours later in the day, or make up the hours later during the weeks you miss. That is just something you’ll have to discuss with them if you get an offer.

As for the other issues, you can still use your phone at breaks and lunch. At my current job, I don’t really think people use their work computers to go on the internet. Most people use their phones during breaks/lunch. They are not too strict with phone usage, but everyone has a quota and will get fired if they don’t meet it, so that is the trade off we have.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:47 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,181,949 times
If you don't agree with the culture, the best option is to reject the job.

At 35, it's time to put the cell phone away at work. Would you enjoy it, if saw the cashiers busted out their cell phone to talk to their baby mama while you waited?

Old 01-25-2018, 05:56 AM

9,518 posts, read 8,582,124 times
Flexibility is earned. They probably have a no-nonsense culture with new hires because it has been abused in the past, hence the hard line. Work for several years, never come in late, stay off of the stupid phone and you'll be amazed at how much flexibility is given to you.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:34 AM

12,137 posts, read 23,486,453 times
Discuss your medical needs up front. Why does anyone need to have their cell phone on their desk?

Old 01-25-2018, 06:49 AM

21,380 posts, read 8,049,917 times
The cell phone thing wouldn't bother me, but the attendance comment might be a red flag.

Is this the type of company that does not allow days off? At all? You can't use sick days? Or get penalized for using them even though you're entitled to them? Do they track every second you are at your desk?

Been there, done that. Never again.

It's just a bit weird that it was pointed out.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:00 AM

6,789 posts, read 9,664,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why does anyone need to have their cell phone on their desk?
I have an office with a door, so I don't have to explain that to anybody. It's the only way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment