Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,304,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
Hi,

I had an interview today with a company very close to my home. My current job is only part time because my hours were cut. I applied to this new company because it would cut down my commute significantly.

But I have some concerns. I'm used to working for a flexible boss and laid back office culture. I have to move on because I need full time. My concerns with this new company are that they are "old school." The manager brought up today that they don't allow cell phones on the desk. Really? I'm not one of those people that uses my phone all day during work. No going on the internet. And she brought up how important attendance is - I take that to mean they aren't very flexible. I wouldn't expect to take time off on a regular basis. For medical reasons I go to the Dr. twice a month. Which means I would be late two mornings a month.

I have worked for companies that allow me to use the internet as long as my work is done. I haven't been told I couldn't have my cell phone out since my first job out of high school. I'm 35. I don't know maybe I have had it too easy? It just seems like a really rigid work culture. Red Flags? Or have I been spoiled?
You aren't spoiled. This company sounds super rigid. So no personal calls at all? I don't make many personal calls, but I give my cell number to a lot of people and businesses to use because it is the best way to reach me. If someone needs to reach you, they can't during office hours? That sounds awful.

You know yourself better than anyone. Don't take a job if you are not going to like it. And it doesn't sound like you could look for something else while working there unless you can do the interviews on the weekend or after work.

I've never worked anywhere that strict--could never do it. Sounds way too rigid for me, but some people like authoritarian rigid corporate culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 11:29 AM

521 posts, read 735,420 times
I wouldn't like that environment. Sounds very micro-managing and not treating people like adults. I had a job like that working nights in a nursing call center. Sometimes we wouldn't get a call for 30-45 minutes and we weren't allowed to use cell phones, or read books or knit or anything. We just sat there. We could talk but you don't always want to. That company also was strict about time off and people regularly missed kids birthdays or weddings of family members. If we requested time off for something important and it wasn't given, then the boss would wrote people up if they called out sick that day anyway. Very high turnover. I was there a year since just needed a job but eventually found something much much better. Don't think I could tolerate that kind of environment again.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:06 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,027,169 times
Depends on your finances. I'm about to move, my job has ended, I'll take what I can get & if it's not my optimal choice, I'll keep my resume out there 'til something better manifests. Even if it's to my disliking in some way, it's paying the rent & anything is tolerable if there's a expiration date.

Don't like to advise others, but I'd suggest the same, unless you can find a 2nd PT job to add to the PT job you enjoy. BTW, is there anyway to turn your PT job into FT by telling your mngr how much you love it there & you'd like to stay on in a FT capacity? You never know if you don't ask.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:30 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,518,334 times
Well, yeah, nowadays one could stay all day on FB on their phone. As for the medical appts this is something to discuss upfront with your future manager. Also ask upfront if they offer flex time.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; companies just want people to work, not stay on the phone. The way they deal with it is different.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,652,336 times
Quote:
Hi,

I had an interview today with a company very close to my home. My current job is only part time because my hours were cut. I applied to this new company because it would cut down my commute significantly.

But I have some concerns. I'm used to working for a flexible boss and laid back office culture. I have to move on because I need full time. My concerns with this new company are that they are "old school." The manager brought up today that they don't allow cell phones on the desk. Really? I'm not one of those people that uses my phone all day during work. No going on the internet. And she brought up how important attendance is - I take that to mean they aren't very flexible. I wouldn't expect to take time off on a regular basis. For medical reasons I go to the Dr. twice a month. Which means I would be late two mornings a month.

I have worked for companies that allow me to use the internet as long as my work is done. I haven't been told I couldn't have my cell phone out since my first job out of high school. I'm 35. I don't know maybe I have had it too easy? It just seems like a really rigid work culture. Red Flags? Or have I been spoiled?
So theire saying be on time you will work your 8 hours and we won’t allow personal cellphones while at work.
Did you disclose your medical issue at the beginning of the interview?
No red flag imo..... it’s how they run their company and their rules. Take it or leave it.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:43 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,133,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Flexibility is earned. They probably have a no-nonsense culture with new hires because it has been abused in the past, hence the hard line. Work for several years, never come in late, stay off of the stupid phone and you'll be amazed at how much flexibility is given to you.
Till your laid off and have to start the whole process again, nope, I would never accept this unless it was BIG money or if I were literally starving to death on the streets. But if I am starving to death and on the street that means I have likely already come to terms with the lowest common denominator.

Don't let yourself get to a place where you can be exploited. If an employer wants to be a slave driver it should cost them and cost them big. Sure if I am being paid $120/hr I better be working every minute (put the phone in a lock box or what ever) but if this is $20/hr nope not going to tolerate it.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:44 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,133,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Well, yeah, nowadays one could stay all day on FB on their phone. As for the medical appts this is something to discuss upfront with your future manager. Also ask upfront if they offer flex time.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; companies just want people to work, not stay on the phone. The way they deal with it is different.
That's fine so long as they are not paying exploitation level wages. People are not going to be super motivated if the pay is crap for what they have to do or put up with.

I would not have too much of an issue with the phone, my issue would be arrival time, I am not a morning person and if they have this boomer mentality of everyone shows up at the a$$ crack of dawn because the boss goes to bed at 6pm then nope I wont last there very long.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:53 PM

29 posts, read 25,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
I wouldn't like that environment. Sounds very micro-managing and not treating people like adults. I had a job like that working nights in a nursing call center. Sometimes we wouldn't get a call for 30-45 minutes and we weren't allowed to use cell phones, or read books or knit or anything. We just sat there. We could talk but you don't always want to. That company also was strict about time off and people regularly missed kids birthdays or weddings of family members. If we requested time off for something important and it wasn't given, then the boss would wrote people up if they called out sick that day anyway. Very high turnover. I was there a year since just needed a job but eventually found something much much better. Don't think I could tolerate that kind of environment again.
Yeah I’m thinking I won’t accept if they make an offer. The manager also mentioned something about how other people on the team come in at 6 or 7 but they aren’t scheduled until 8am.. uh why?

Old 01-25-2018, 01:53 PM

348 posts, read 461,787 times
FYI, people should generally not be disclosing their medical issues at interviews anyway. I don't know why people keep asking that. Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally it really should not be disclosed.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:03 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,480,658 times
Quote:
Yeah I’m thinking I won’t accept if they make an offer. The manager also mentioned something about how other people on the team come in at 6 or 7 but they aren’t scheduled until 8am.. uh why?
Are they hourly? Do they clock in early to go home earlier? Or do they sit around for 1-2 hours waiting for their shifts to begin?

The latter would seem peculiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment