Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
Well I just found out they made an offer to someone else with a very insulting hourly wage.
Then that’s good as you weren’t taking the job anyway right? Here is how I see job offers,

I had plenty of them. Some I took some I walked some. In a few rare cases I took the job only to find out I stepped in crap so I made other arrangements and gave notice. I didn’t like something they said at the interview or the working conditions/description wasn’t as told previously. When I go to a interview I interview them as much as they interview me. Some companies think that they hold all the cards. They don’t. Talented people are very hard to find regardless what the general thought is. You can find bodies some breathing some not, but thinking doing achieving bodies it’s tougher.

I personally would never take such job as you described. I don’t need to. It has nothing to do with wanting to play on the net, screw around etc. I don’t need to be told to be punctual. I am punctual. But like some I give my cell to customers and I do talk to my wife. Not a lot but at some point in the day.

If a company has x policy and you accept the job knowing what that policy is then you must accept and follow that policy. No point in whining about it. I can see if they didn’t disclose it but if they did you make your choice to take it or leave it.

When I had my company I would expect people to be there at their scheduled time. But I’m not going to freak if someone is late. Now if it’s habitual that’s different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:44 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,616,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The number of entitled children on C/D who don't really NEED to work is too darn high!

What do some of you think you are being paid for, if not your time and actions at work?
I support a family that depends almost entirely on my income. I need to work. I don't need to work for any one particular employer and, since I have choices, won't tolerate certain conditions.

I'm being paid for my time at work, but that time is worthless without the skills and education and experience that I have acquired, mostly before I ever started at my current employer. You can't do my job without being capable of exercising independent judgement about complex issues. You can't expect somebody to exercise that kind of judgement as part of their job and also be willing to accept that they can't decide whether or not taking a two minute phone call would interrupt their work.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,759,699 times
Quote:
Yeah I thought the attendance comment was kind of random. I’ve never heard that an interview. I just get the feeling that this is the type of company that probably gives very little personal time off or sick time.

Did you ask about PTO? Did you explain you would need to be late 2 times a month for medical reasons? Some companies are flexible if you explain the situation; however, you have a very laid back environment in your current work place and that's not typically the case in most. If you need a job you'll have to except the terms or stay put and ask for more hours! Unless you have exceptional skills and great long term work experience where you can demand certain things, it might take you awhile to find another laid back environment that you want. It's out there, but it will take time.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:52 AM

414 posts, read 360,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Depends on what kind of job it is. I've got 10 years in with my company and my job is kind of creative in nature with a lot of deadlines. I work from home and use my personal cell phone as my work phone. My schedule is my own. I'm on the internet all the time because my job requires me to do research on it. I have a personal computer set up at my desk in addition to my work computer where I do personal internet surfing and keep up with FB and post on C-D, lol - there's a lot of down time while I wait for coworkers to get things to me. I mostly come and go as I please. But the other side of that coin is that often my job needs me to work beyond my scheduled hours and I have a decade of successful track record behind me during which I went above and beyond. I regularly reschedule my personal activities to accommodate my job. I regularly work late into the night to meet deadlines and don't get paid overtime. I usually end up the year with 50% of my vacation time unused or crammed in during the last weeks of the year. And despite my boss's encouragement to unplug, I check my email regularly during vacations so that I will not be broadsided by anything when I return.

That's the tradeoff. I LOVE my job, my coworkers and the pay is decent - moreover, the flexibility is pretty broad. But my company gets a lot of my time when it needs it, whether it's during scheduled working hours or not. When my current boss joined the company he was very much about schedules and I was regularly reprimanded for being late, but he let that go eventually because it just didn't fit the culture and that when I was 30 minutes late to sign in, it was usually because I'd put in an extra 2 hours the night before.

I prefer this, but I've built much of my life around my job. That's the tradeoff. If you want flexibility, that often comes with a ton of other expectations. I do 18 hour days sometimes and it's just what it is. No one thanks me for it - they just accept it as what I do. But they also don't question it when I take a 2-hour lunch one day or skip out early to go to an appointment. The company gets far more out of embracing flexibility than just what they pay me, basically.
I’m in a similar situation although I wouldn’t go so far as to say I LOVE my job although it’s decent (and I’m also a Jersey defector). Five years ago at a previous job I was on a six month project where the senior leads treated us like second graders and it was absolutely degrading, especially as I already had 10 years of professional experience and had managed teams. It was intolerable then, but now that I have a job with a lot of flexibility and freedom I would probably walk out of a micromanaged nightmare like that if it were going to be long-term and not just a project with an end in sight. In fact, there were a few days I came close to walking out of that project but I was glad I didn’t if only for the sake of continuity with my employment record.

If the OP has already had jobs with flexibility and is concerned about the red flags, decline (which it sounds like she will do). OTOH, my brother works for an old-school company that prides itself on micromanaging and they probably have all of the same rules that the place the OP described has and it doesn’t bother him. Although this place is a step up from his former employer which is probably why it doesn’t bother him.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,301,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ya know - landlines still exist.

I can make personal calls from my desk/landline phone, and anyone important in my life knows that number to reach me... when my grandmother had a (later fatal) stroke, they tried my cell phone first, and then called the library and asked for me. Not exactly rocket science, lol.

We don't actually have a "no cell phone" policy, either, unless you're on the public reference or circulation desks. At our own desks, and of course on breaks, we are free to use it within reason. But I usually just keep it in my purse on silent, unless I happen to be expecting an important call. Otherwise, I can survive 9 hours without using it. It's not that tough, I swear, and somehow we all managed before the days of cell phones. Get this... my mother even raised THREE CHILDREN without a cell phone!! Wow, it's mind-blowing.
Roll your eyes all you like--it contributes nothing to the discussion. What your family does is not relevant.

It's a personal preference--why are you so judgmental about it?

I prefer to separate work and personal life--I think it's more professional than giving out my office phone number for personal use. I am not, in general, a phone person. I don't really use the phone much, and don't bother to have a landline at home. I am free to use my cell phone in my office.

My thoughts are that I don't want to use an employer's or company resources (phone, email, etc.) for personal use. I don't wish to have physicians, etc., leaving voicemails on a company phone.

I barely use my cell phone, but it is for my personal use. Your company (any company) is entitled to listen to your messages or read your emails if you are using their equipment. I look at people who use their office phones and email for their personal use as rather unprofessional.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:32 PM

23,431 posts, read 19,057,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
T
If a company has x policy and you accept the job knowing what that policy is then you must accept and follow that policy. No point in whining about it. I can see if they didn’t disclose it but if they did you make your choice to take it or leave it.
This is the point. The company was making it clear what their expectations and policies were. Things an applicant would reasonably want to know. Their workplace, their rules. Doesn't make them wrong. I'm sure the last thing they want is to hire someone who will create problems. They DID select someone other than the OP, remember.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:22 PM

29 posts, read 25,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
This is the point. The company was making it clear what their expectations and policies were. Things an applicant would reasonably want to know. Their workplace, their rules. Doesn't make them wrong. I'm sure the last thing they want is to hire someone who will create problems. They DID select someone other than the OP, remember.
First of all I would not “create problems” let’s get that straight. Mmm k?

Secondly I would not have accepted the low salary anyway.

Last edited by RamonaSun; 01-27-2018 at 06:31 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 07:15 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,670,016 times
Quote:
Hi,

I had an interview today with a company very close to my home. My current job is only part time because my hours were cut. I applied to this new company because it would cut down my commute significantly.

But I have some concerns. I'm used to working for a flexible boss and laid back office culture. I have to move on because I need full time. My concerns with this new company are that they are "old school." The manager brought up today that they don't allow cell phones on the desk. Really? I'm not one of those people that uses my phone all day during work. No going on the internet. And she brought up how important attendance is - I take that to mean they aren't very flexible. I wouldn't expect to take time off on a regular basis. For medical reasons I go to the Dr. twice a month. Which means I would be late two mornings a month.

I have worked for companies that allow me to use the internet as long as my work is done. I haven't been told I couldn't have my cell phone out since my first job out of high school. I'm 35. I don't know maybe I have had it too easy? It just seems like a really rigid work culture. Red Flags? Or have I been spoiled?
I wouldn't if I had other options. But, if this was the only thing on the table, I'd take it with the mindset of it being temporary until something else comes along. That said, if the culture is as rigid as you say this should provide the extra motivation to keep going with the job search at full momentum until an ideal job comes along. Sometimes, we just gotta do what gotta do.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The number of entitled children on C/D who don't really NEED to work is too darn high!

What do some of you think you are being paid for, if not your time and actions at work?
I'm paid for my results. How I achieve those results is up to me. As for "needing to work", sure... but not for any particular employer. I do not need to work with frightened or despotic people. I do not need to work for an organization that sees me as an insignificant, disposable cog.

If you think that makes someone an "entitled child", I don't know what to tell you, other than some of us will continue to be the masters of our own vessel and others will always be down on the rowing deck, enjoying the rhythm of the hortator.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 AM

944 posts, read 1,214,379 times
The kind of people who think having easy access to a mobile device in case you need to field an emergency call or that being able to have a flexible start time occasionally due to a medical condition makes you spoiled are the same people who like to post about how they made six figures the day they graduated from college and how you could have too if you hadn't wanted to study literature

CD's careers forum is a haven for such trolls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment