Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:32 PM

30,559 posts, read 52,282,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You aren't spoiled. This company sounds super rigid. So no personal calls at all? I don't make many personal calls, but I give my cell number to a lot of people and businesses to use because it is the best way to reach me. If someone needs to reach you, they can't during office hours? That sounds awful.
Ya know - landlines still exist.

I can make personal calls from my desk/landline phone, and anyone important in my life knows that number to reach me... when my grandmother had a (later fatal) stroke, they tried my cell phone first, and then called the library and asked for me. Not exactly rocket science, lol.

We don't actually have a "no cell phone" policy, either, unless you're on the public reference or circulation desks. At our own desks, and of course on breaks, we are free to use it within reason. But I usually just keep it in my purse on silent, unless I happen to be expecting an important call. Otherwise, I can survive 9 hours without using it. It's not that tough, I swear, and somehow we all managed before the days of cell phones. Get this... my mother even raised THREE CHILDREN without a cell phone!! Wow, it's mind-blowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 06:41 PM

30,559 posts, read 52,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I would not have too much of an issue with the phone, my issue would be arrival time, I am not a morning person and if they have this boomer mentality of everyone shows up at the a$$ crack of dawn because the boss goes to bed at 6pm then nope I wont last there very long.
Haha, me too. Thankfully my profession doesn't typically have early hours, in fact we're more often working nights and/or weekends. The earliest I come in is 10am, and that's only one day a week (Sundays) - the other days I'm here either at 10:30 or 12:30, and work until 7/9pm respectively. To be honest, it was one of the reasons I chose librarianship over teaching (the other career I was considering after college). Teachers have to be there super early, and I'd probably have been fired for chronic tardiness.

Also, as a public/union employee, the boss's schedule is completely irrelevant to ours. They're not even represented by the same union, and us "underlings" have rigid union-monitored schedules, since we're salaried non-exempt. The managers, on the other hand, are actually salaried and expected to flex their time according to need. Not sure which I'd prefer, but I don't complain about that regardless.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:00 PM

29 posts, read 25,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yes I would if the opportunity was right.

I've been in a lot of different companies. One call center did not want you to do anything on the computers that was not work related. Everyone had cell phones and tablets to preoccupy themselves in between calls, which could be an hour or more, due to the type of work we were doing. In media, they don't care what you do as long as you get your job done. They don't want you to goof off on the computer provided PCs and they don't want you to be preoccupied on your cell phone but rarely is it enforced. It is what it is. Another call center we only had DOS on the machines.

If the company was really rigid there wouldn't be any internet. Just dumb terminals that only did one thing that you can't mess up because you can't do anything but work related stuff on there. No cell phones on the desk? Put your phone on silent and text/message people while you eat lunch.

Yes you've been spoiled. We work to live. We don't live for our employers to provide a nice atmosphere for us to relax at work.

Those companies that are really flexible; sometimes the work doesn't pay anything. You can wear whatever you want to wear is a good sign that no one important is ever going to see you; a lot of tech support places allow this.
That seems like a very old-school mentality. Are you over 50?

Old 01-26-2018, 07:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,113,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ya know - landlines still exist.

I can make personal calls from my desk/landline phone, and anyone important in my life knows that number to reach me... when my grandmother had a (later fatal) stroke, they tried my cell phone first, and then called the library and asked for me. Not exactly rocket science, lol.

We don't actually have a "no cell phone" policy, either, unless you're on the public reference or circulation desks. At our own desks, and of course on breaks, we are free to use it within reason. But I usually just keep it in my purse on silent, unless I happen to be expecting an important call. Otherwise, I can survive 9 hours without using it. It's not that tough, I swear, and somehow we all managed before the days of cell phones. Get this... my mother even raised THREE CHILDREN without a cell phone!! Wow, it's mind-blowing.
I work in tech. Many places assume that few people need a desk phone, or they are too unstructured to provide one. So cell phone only for everything. Most people at my office do not have phones and there is no main phone number.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,781,093 times
It doesn't sound like a bad thing that the job went to someone else, especially if the pay was insultingly low. I think 35 is too old to be babysat at work.

Sometimes I consider going back to work for someone else, but then I read threads like this and I remember why I work for myself. Yikes!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:42 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,214,551 times
hard to imagine why people have difficulty finding/getting/keeping jobs today

Old 01-26-2018, 09:56 PM

29 posts, read 25,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
Or why some companies have such high turnover.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 PM

7,651 posts, read 5,183,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
OMG why are you on here as an elite. Dont you have a meeting at jeckle island to figure out complex schemes to screw people?

I am sure there are meetings happening right now to figure out how to bring Trump into compliance so you can keep the peasantry class under the thumb. Are you late to that meeting or is this an intermission?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 PM

7,651 posts, read 5,183,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It doesn't sound like a bad thing that the job went to someone else, especially if the pay was insultingly low. I think 35 is too old to be babysat at work.

Sometimes I consider going back to work for someone else, but then I read threads like this and I remember why I work for myself. Yikes!
Yep, I just got laid off again and I am going to be working OT to build out my weapon system in solidworks to sell to the Russians once its constructed. F it, I can then watch on the news how an F22 got shot down and everyone is stuned lol.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,651,777 times
The number of entitled children on C/D who don't really NEED to work is too darn high!

What do some of you think you are being paid for, if not your time and actions at work?

Last edited by rugrats2001; 01-27-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment