Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 05:20 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Have you heard about Henry Ford? The only America mentioned positively in Mein Kampf.
Thats scary, I probably ought to read that. My ex wife burned my copy and I never bothered replacing it. Will be good to know what to look for today. Alot of companies are already ran like fascist organizations, now they just need a little more control over the govt so that we have a Nazi america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 08:33 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
It depends on whether the job is salaried or hourly. If you are being hired for an hourly job then the company expects you to work the hours that you are getting paid for. That is, if your schedule is 8 to 5, then you are expected to be ON THE JOB at precisely 8 and cannot leave until precisely 5. You can't put 5:00 on your time sheet and then leave at 4:45. That's fraud in the company's eyes. They want you to be on the job till 5. I understand you need to come in late a few times a month and most companies will work with you on that by allowing you to make up your hours by working through lunch or staying a little later.

If you are being hired as a salaried employee there is usually a little more leeway about coming in late here or there but for the most part, these jobs tend to require more than 40 hours anyway. You are being hired as salaried because they want to work you to death. Salaried jobs tend to end up requiring 45-50+ hours. Most companies allow a little leeway because they know you'll have to put in additional hours anyway.

The plus about doing a rigid job for awhile when you're young is that it helps to build resilience and stamina. Companies may say they have a loose culture but believe me, they're watching the employees just as much as the rigid ones. The rigid ones are just more up front about it.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:16 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
If the job can be done with flexible hours, there is no need for a company to be so rigid. They should be more concerned with results.

Flex time is a big benefit and if you can offer it, you should, makes you a more attractive company to work for.

But certain jobs do require rigid hours. Not much you can do about that other than not work those jobs.

At least the company told you up front. Most would just lie.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:27 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
Hi,

I had an interview today with a company very close to my home. My current job is only part time because my hours were cut. I applied to this new company because it would cut down my commute significantly.

But I have some concerns. I'm used to working for a flexible boss and laid back office culture. I have to move on because I need full time. My concerns with this new company are that they are "old school." The manager brought up today that they don't allow cell phones on the desk. Really? I'm not one of those people that uses my phone all day during work. No going on the internet. And she brought up how important attendance is - I take that to mean they aren't very flexible. I wouldn't expect to take time off on a regular basis. For medical reasons I go to the Dr. twice a month. Which means I would be late two mornings a month.

I have worked for companies that allow me to use the internet as long as my work is done. I haven't been told I couldn't have my cell phone out since my first job out of high school. I'm 35. I don't know maybe I have had it too easy? It just seems like a really rigid work culture. Red Flags? Or have I been spoiled?
Yes really. NO cell phones at the desk.

No internet.

No attendance problems tolerated.

This is at the phone company(s) where we have half a million employees (at least).

If you told me you thought you should be able to surf the web and blab on the phone because "your work is done", I'd load you up with work so fast your head would spin.

After I got done facepalming, banging my head against the desk and laughing my butt off over what a problem employee I'd think your're gonna be.

THAT'S how we roll, there.

And depending on the company, yeah I'd cut your hours and then replace you.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes really. NO cell phones at the desk.

No internet.

No attendance problems tolerated.

This is at the phone company(s) where we have half a million employees (at least).

If you told me you thought you should be able to surf the web and blab on the phone because "your work is done", I'd load you up with work so fast your head would spin.

After I got done facepalming, banging my head against the desk and laughing my butt off over what a problem employee I'd think your're gonna be.

THAT'S how we roll, there.

And depending on the company, yeah I'd cut your hours and then replace you.
What if someone only wanted to work 30 hrs a week, do they have hourly less than full time positions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment