Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:05 PM

29 posts, read 25,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Are they hourly? Do they clock in early to go home earlier? Or do they sit around for 1-2 hours waiting for their shifts to begin?

The latter would seem peculiar.
Something about them being morning people..

I’m not sure of the other questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 02:30 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,492,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
Something about them being morning people..

I’m not sure of the other questions
Based on your response, it sounds like some of them clock in earlier and likely go home earlier. If so, I at least give them credit for having flexible schedules.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Based on your response, it sounds like some of them clock in earlier and likely go home earlier. If so, I at least give them credit for having flexible schedules.
No she said they all work until five

Old 01-25-2018, 02:33 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,492,117 times
Quote:
No she said they all work until five
If they're paid hourly, then maybe they do it for the extra $$$. Otherwise, that just sounds dumb.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:10 PM

3,283 posts, read 2,700,150 times
Quote:
But I have some concerns. I'm used to working for a flexible boss and laid back office culture. I have to move on because I need full time. My concerns with this new company are that they are "old school." The manager brought up today that they don't allow cell phones on the desk. Really? I'm not one of those people that uses my phone all day during work. No going on the internet. And she brought up how important attendance is - I take that to mean they aren't very flexible. I wouldn't expect to take time off on a regular basis. For medical reasons I go to the Dr. twice a month. Which means I would be late two mornings a month.
What do they mean by "attendance"?

If I have an appointment with someone... a customer, a partner, a coworker, a trainer, whatever... I need to be where I'm supposed to be, ready to go. That's "attendance" to me.

But, frequently, what they mean is, "We want you at your desk precisely at 8. Why? Not for any articulable reason, but because we're full of fear that we might lose a nickle." I refuse to work for anyone who watches the clock for the sake of watching the clock. If my work gets done, and an outside observer cannot describe the difference between it being done at 6AM, 8AM, or 10AM, then I'm not going to worry about what time I sit down or get up from my desk.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
What do they mean by "attendance"?

If I have an appointment with someone... a customer, a partner, a coworker, a trainer, whatever... I need to be where I'm supposed to be, ready to go. That's "attendance" to me.

But, frequently, what they mean is, "We want you at your desk precisely at 8. Why? Not for any articulable reason, but because we're full of fear that we might lose a nickle." I refuse to work for anyone who watches the clock for the sake of watching the clock. If my work gets done, and an outside observer cannot describe the difference between it being done at 6AM, 8AM, or 10AM, then I'm not going to worry about what time I sit down or get up from my desk.
I almost took it to mean that they want the company to be my life. 🤔

Old 01-25-2018, 05:03 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,584,927 times
For me I'd have to think about my personal situation before I took it. If I had a lot of other interviews set up with other companies and finances weren't a major issue- I'd wait. But if I really needed the money I'd bite the bullet and take it. If nothing else, to have a full-time job paying the bills until something better shakes out.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:33 PM

388 posts, read 691,966 times
I might find it weird (I am 40...not too much older than you, so I get where you are coming from) but take the job and see where it leads.

I have been told before that being late was a hot button for a company, only to find out, they had "watchers" that monitored your arrival and departure -AND you could not stay more than 15 min past closing time! And they also made us do a screen shot to show when we arrived and email that to our boss. Did they mention this in their 2 interviews with me? Of course not! They just said, "being late is a hot button".

They also said we had access to breaks during the day. What they didn't say was these breaks were at specific times and we were required to take them. If you didn't take them, a supervisor would come visit you. I found out from HR these breaks were optional and once I said that, they left me alone.

I have also had a company tell me they cared about attendance, being late, etc and repeatedly allowed people to be late to meetings and their shift. They also didn't care if people were on their phone in front of a customer.

So, the truth is, you don't know until you are there.

They sound conservative, but this might be their standard story they tell everyone. Or it might be their way of business.

See what Glass Door says...

Old 01-25-2018, 06:40 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,306,907 times
You haven’t seen rigid until you’ve worked where I have. Everyone was given x number of paid vacation days based upon their service time. That plus up to 17 additional paid holidays or shutdown days meant some could have up to 7 weeks of paid time off. You were expected to be at work every day on time unless you scheduled it off in advance. For emergency situations each associate was given 5 days a year to “call in”,and these would be subtracted from your vacation days. Not only did they expect you to come to work every day and be on time, they paid hourly associates a monthly attendance bonus for doing so that was over $250.00. Just for showing up. On time. Every day.

Why you may ask? Because that’s how important it is to the companies profitability that you come to work every day. They really should teach these basic principles in school. If they did, maybe more people would understand how absenteeism negatively impacts the bottom line. Which negatively effects raises, bonuses,and other perks. Business 101, ya know?

So why are all these extravagances “rigid”? Because even with all of this generosity, associates would complain about the companies attendance policy as being too rigid.

Hey, it’s all about more,isn’t it?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
You haven’t seen rigid until you’ve worked where I have. Everyone was given x number of paid vacation days based upon their service time. That plus up to 17 additional paid holidays or shutdown days meant some could have up to 7 weeks of paid time off. You were expected to be at work every day on time unless you scheduled it off in advance. For emergency situations each associate was given 5 days a year to “call in”,and these would be subtracted from your vacation days. Not only did they expect you to come to work every day and be on time, they paid hourly associates a monthly attendance bonus for doing so that was over $250.00. Just for showing up. On time. Every day.

Why you may ask? Because that’s how important it is to the companies profitability that you come to work every day. They really should teach these basic principles in school. If they did, maybe more people would understand how absenteeism negatively impacts the bottom line. Which negatively effects raises, bonuses,and other perks. Business 101, ya know?

So why are all these extravagances “rigid”? Because even with all of this generosity, associates would complain about the companies attendance policy as being too rigid.

Hey, it’s all about more,isn’t it?
I think you missed my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment