Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,355,306 times

Advertisements

If they bring that stuff up in a job interview, it gives you a huge clue about how they treat their employees. I can't work in that type of oppressive environment. I don't really need a parent or nanny looking over my shoulder while I do my job. The nice thing is that they told you just how dysfunctional their workplace is so you didn't have to discover this for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 11:13 AM

29 posts, read 25,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
If they bring that stuff up in a job interview, it gives you a huge clue about how they treat their employees. I can't work in that type of oppressive environment. I don't really need a parent or nanny looking over my shoulder while I do my job. The nice thing is that they told you just how dysfunctional their workplace is so you didn't have to discover this for yourself.
Well I just found out they made an offer to someone else with a very insulting hourly wage.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:18 PM

23,874 posts, read 19,851,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
Well I just found out they made an offer to someone else with a very insulting hourly wage.
Again, you are looking at this from your personal viewpoint. Who knows....they person they selected may be very happy for the opportunity. Sounds as if you wouldn't be satisfied no matter what they offered.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:24 PM

29 posts, read 25,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Again, you are looking at this from your personal viewpoint. Who knows....they person they selected may be very happy for the opportunity. Sounds as if you wouldn't be satisfied no matter what they offered.

Yes I was looking at it from my viewpoint. Thank you for being so perceptive.. lol

Old 01-26-2018, 03:44 PM

251 posts, read 206,557 times
These types of jobs you have to bust your ass to work hard so you can get experience and get the **** out so you can get a better gig where they don't care what you do - As long as you show results!

Old 01-26-2018, 03:47 PM

3,283 posts, read 2,706,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The thing you’re missing it’s that it’s not up to you to make the schedule. It is being made for you and you are scheduled to work from x to y time. So if the work starts at 8 am and ends at 5 pm that’s the time they expect you to be there.
Sure it is. I simply do not work for companies with rigid daily schedules. It doesn't work for me. I set my own schedule, and have for years.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM

3,283 posts, read 2,706,204 times
Quote:
I almost took it to mean that they want the company to be my life. 🤔
That'll happen.

I had a job once where, when I interviewed, I asked them about exactly this. "Oh, as long as you put in your eight hours a day and get your job done, we don't care!" Until I got there at 8:30 one day, and heard, "We really need you here at 8, it's in our contract." OK... I took a half-hour lunch, then left at 4:30. "We really need you here until 5 every day, it's in our contract." OK... so I show up at 8, then leave at 5. "We've noticed you're leaving exactly at 5 every day" So, they wanted at least eight hours a day, but were happy to pay me for forty. That wasn't going to work, and I wasn't there much longer.

Nobody since has given a fig. I tell them what my workday is, I adjust as necessary, I make meetings. If I need to come in late, take a long lunch, or leave early on any given day; that's what happens.

I'm not willing to sell my entire life to an employer.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,654,831 times
There is a big emphasis in many east coast professional level jobs that one should not be leaving at 5:00pm or 5:30pm. Instead, many employees put on a big show of working late every evening, until 6pm or 6:30pm or 7pm or later, and not doing so makes one look lazy or not dedicated.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:27 PM

251 posts, read 206,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There is a big emphasis in many east coast professional level jobs that one should not be leaving at 5:00pm or 5:30pm. Instead, many employees put on a big show of working late every evening, until 6pm or 6:30pm or 7pm or later, and not doing so makes one look lazy or not dedicated.
They can play that game if they want. There has been a backlash and we righteously in some companies (one of which I worked hard to get into) view that as a sign of being incompetent and inefficient. It should not take you 12 hours to do an 8 hour job. How are you going to handle more responsibility and decision making if there are only 24 hours in a day and it takes you 16 hours a day to do an 8 hour job under the current workload?

Old 01-26-2018, 04:59 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,546,945 times
Quote:
Hi,

I had an interview today with a company very close to my home. My current job is only part time because my hours were cut. I applied to this new company because it would cut down my commute significantly.

But I have some concerns. I'm used to working for a flexible boss and laid back office culture. I have to move on because I need full time. My concerns with this new company are that they are "old school." The manager brought up today that they don't allow cell phones on the desk. Really? I'm not one of those people that uses my phone all day during work. No going on the internet. And she brought up how important attendance is - I take that to mean they aren't very flexible. I wouldn't expect to take time off on a regular basis. For medical reasons I go to the Dr. twice a month. Which means I would be late two mornings a month.

I have worked for companies that allow me to use the internet as long as my work is done. I haven't been told I couldn't have my cell phone out since my first job out of high school. I'm 35. I don't know maybe I have had it too easy? It just seems like a really rigid work culture. Red Flags? Or have I been spoiled?
Yes I would if the opportunity was right.

I've been in a lot of different companies. One call center did not want you to do anything on the computers that was not work related. Everyone had cell phones and tablets to preoccupy themselves in between calls, which could be an hour or more, due to the type of work we were doing. In media, they don't care what you do as long as you get your job done. They don't want you to goof off on the computer provided PCs and they don't want you to be preoccupied on your cell phone but rarely is it enforced. It is what it is. Another call center we only had DOS on the machines.

If the company was really rigid there wouldn't be any internet. Just dumb terminals that only did one thing that you can't mess up because you can't do anything but work related stuff on there. No cell phones on the desk? Put your phone on silent and text/message people while you eat lunch.

Yes you've been spoiled. We work to live. We don't live for our employers to provide a nice atmosphere for us to relax at work.

Those companies that are really flexible; sometimes the work doesn't pay anything. You can wear whatever you want to wear is a good sign that no one important is ever going to see you; a lot of tech support places allow this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment