Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM

392 posts, read 706,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Oh, the new definition of being ridiculous. There's nothing ridiculous about willing to put up a good and reasonable effort!!!
We're glad hard work and perseverance worked out for you. Sometimes it simply doesn't happen that way for someone else. There is no magic recipe and blueprint for success. You can stop thumping your chest now. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:36 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
You talk like a seven year old car is going to die any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I have a 1997. Complaining about a 7 year-old car is a bit melodramatic.
And the poster in question didn't do either of these things.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,436,615 times
Quote:
Show me a court case and I'll agree with you.
Here is a zoning map for Kennebunkport Maine (only town in Maine I could think of off hand) LOL

Guessing they didn't go to all the trouble of zoning in order to just let people live in offices..

http://www.kennebunkportme.gov/Publi...de/ZoneMap2010

Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,338,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it is illegal. it's a code and zoning issue, and if the space is rented, any commercial lease will say you can't sleep there overnight.
True

Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,002,280 times
Quote:
Very classic of being totally ridiculous!!!
Well, you would know all about that condition, wouldn't you?

Keep digging that hole of yours a little deeper, Marie Antoinette.....

Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,732,074 times
Quote:
Show me a court case and I'll agree with you.
oh ok, you need a court case to prove the existence of commercial zoning. i see.

to use a space for any purpose, most municipalities require a certificate of occupancy or certificate of compliance. the codes to obtain those are different for commercial and residential spaces, and you simply can't use (or get a permit for) something that is zoned commercial for residential purposes (and yes, someone sleeping there for a few days is residential) or vice versa.

believe me, i lived in a commercially-zoned space in nyc (a warehouse) that is at the center of the loft law movement going on there. it was DEFINITELY illegal. it has since become legal, but it took an organized movement and a bunch of court cases to get there. and the law does not say "it's cool to live there for just a few days but longer is baaad". illegal is illegal.

and as i said before, most leases for commercial spaces expressly prohibit people living in them. why? because a landlord would have to be an idiot to allow their tenants to use the space for ILLEGAL purposes. as would be a manager who allowed their employees to do that.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM

392 posts, read 706,783 times
If you work late and fall asleep at your desk, that would be considered "living" there? Or it's only "living" there if it is premeditated? If anything, I think it would be considered "camping". I'd like to hear the Kennebunkport judge's interpretation, because that's all that matters.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,732,074 times
fair enough, sharecropper! although technically the answer to your first question is yes.

i think it's really enough that it's freaking weird to ask to do that and your boss would think you were weird and would probably say no.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,535,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
And the poster in question didn't do either of these things.
Thanks. I do have a great Honda, runs great. But, I am socking away money, for when the day comes when I need a car for work. I save $400 a month, just for a new car. Nothing worse than needing to buy a car, and not having savings.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:04 PM

26,691 posts, read 14,669,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
oh ok, you need a court case to prove the existence of commercial zoning. i see.

to use a space for any purpose, most municipalities require a certificate of occupancy or certificate of compliance. the codes to obtain those are different for commercial and residential spaces, and you simply can't use (or get a permit for) something that is zoned commercial for residential purposes (and yes, someone sleeping there for a few days is residential) or vice versa.

believe me, i lived in a commercially-zoned space in nyc (a warehouse) that is at the center of the loft law movement going on there. it was DEFINITELY illegal. it has since become legal, but it took an organized movement and a bunch of court cases to get there. and the law does not say "it's cool to live there for just a few days but longer is baaad". illegal is illegal.

and as i said before, most leases for commercial spaces expressly prohibit people living in them. why? because a landlord would have to be an idiot to allow their tenants to use the space for ILLEGAL purposes. as would be a manager who allowed their employees to do that.
At least show me a piece of law that says no employee can fall in asleep in the office nor can they work overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment