Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:15 PM

26,691 posts, read 14,683,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you would ride your bike 65 miles each way.

you would take a bus and a train that likely don't exist. this is maine we're talking about, right?

you would live in the office, which i'm SURE your bosses would be totally cool with.

great solutions!
Don't be silly.

I would ride my bike to the office, one way and stay there for the night. Lots people in my current company work long hours and often over night. It's totally cool. She can stay there for a day or two until she finds a place close by to live. She can sleep in an empty office place and get up long before everybody gets in. Why would her boss have any problem with that as long as she is not snoring when the boss walks in?

Totally doable. I have done that myself - slept in the office, changed and took "shower" in the restroom etc. She doesn't work 24x7. Go hunt for places after work. It's unimaginable that she can't find something in a few days. When I first came to this country, I did it in a day.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 PM

392 posts, read 707,035 times
Unless you want to be homeless, I would get a line of credit ASAP or borrow money from a relative or friend. Other than that, you are out of options it seems.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,738,121 times
if you are a fairly fast biker, and you are riding on a nice flat grade, riding a bike 60 miles takes about 6 hours. and you'd have to be pretty fit and train for a while to do that at that speed, all in one day on variable terrain, on a less than optimal bike (an optimal bike would cost thousands of dollars). i guess you think the OP is lance armstrong? and you know, after you bike 60 miles you just rinse your sweaty, grubby, helmet-headed self off in the sink, sleep under the desk, and be all nice and presentable for work the next day?

and i have never worked at a job where it would be ok to SLEEP THERE. that is totally insane. they even have beds where i work, but if i slept here i'd be fired.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,552,539 times
This is pretty much a story of someone living paycheck to paycheck, the real issue is that no money was saved, for this eventuality, a ten year old car won't last forever. It would have been better to get a newer car, and have a car payment, then throw money away on an older car.

Sad. This is a tragic tale. No car now, no job, and I bet, no unemployment, the expectation is that people come to work. You were terminated for cause.

A long commute is almost a no brainer, get out of it as soon as possible. I had a 130 mile commute in Florida, round trip, but I had the option of public transportation. I found a place close to my job within a month.

Sorry about all your drama. But it sort of seems like there was not a lot of forward thinking here. It looks like it was all reactive, impulsive thinking.

Okay, ask about re qualifying wages for getting unemployment benefits, you may be eligible if you make six times benefit amount in covered employment, so, get any job, fast food, CNA work, daycare, whatever, right away, this means, hit the ground running Monday, get any job, and save those check stubs. It needs to be a job that pays unemployment insurance, so, you can keep this part time gig, while looking for something better, and re open your Unemployment claim... You can work part time, and still be eligible.

You can go apply for food stamps, the first month, there is no verification, for ongoing EBT, you need to send in your verifications, but if you go in, fill out paperwork, state zero income, you are automatically eligible for max for one month.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,441,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Don't be silly.

While this is all moot as OP already lost the job, this is so silly that I had to reply.

I would ride my bike to the office, one way and stay there for the night.

65 miles. In Maine. On mostly rural roads. That sounds safe. And if she gets injured, those bills will be paid by who?

Lots people in my current company work long hours and often over night. It's totally cool.

OP works for a company with a 6 month probationary period. Twice as long as normal. And she has already gotten in trouble for a missed day due to her car...the car that she was told not to drive, mind you, by the mechanic on the premises. What about that work environment makes you think sleeping at her work was a viable option? Answer: nothing.

She can stay there for a day or two until she finds a place close by to live. She can sleep in an empty office place and get up long before everybody gets in. Why would her boss have any problem with that as long as she is not snoring when the boss walks in?

Please see above. And, as she has put all her money into catching up on the rent she was behind and round one of the bills for the car, what do you think she would use to pay the rent on the mythical new place? Her good looks? I believe that form of payment is illegal, even in rural areas of the country.

Totally doable. I have done that myself - slept in the office, changed and took "shower" in the restroom etc. She doesn't work 24x7. Go hunt for places after work. It's unimaginable that she can't find something in a few days. When I first came to this country, I did it in a day.

Did you have savings? A job lined up that was going to pay you? A car to get to and from work?
You know, usually you and I agree, but in this case I think you are being unduly harsh. Could TWIS possibly made different choices along the way? Of course she could have. This is true for EVERY situation in life in which a person is faced with a scenario that has more than one possible course of action. That is not to say the decisions she made were wrong or right, but I do believe based on my interactions with her and what she has shared with me off of these boards, the nature of which I will not be disclosing, that she made the best decision that she could for herself at the time. The same as we all do. TWIS has herself said hindsight is 20/20. Would she have fixed the car the first time if she knew it was going to break down? Of course she wouldn't have.

That said, I made a number of comments, obviously, in your post.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is pretty much a story of someone living paycheck to paycheck, the real issue is that no money was saved, for this eventuality, a ten year old car won't last forever. It would have been better to get a newer car, and have a car payment, then throw money away on an older car.

Unfortunately, OP had savings...that she used in the 2 years it took to find a full time job.

Sad. This is a tragic tale. No car now, no job, and I bet, no unemployment, the expectation is that people come to work. You were terminated for cause.

Not really. Cause and misconduct are different. She lacked the required intent to harm the company or not do her job. She may have issues with them wondering how she was going to continue getting to work, but those can be cleared up by merely mentioning the car would have been fixed by a certain date the company just didn't give her that long before termiantion. She had accrued sick time, the company did not allow her to use it.

A long commute is almost a no brainer, get out of it as soon as possible. I had a 130 mile commute in Florida, round trip, but I had the option of public transportation. I found a place close to my job within a month.

OP was planning on that...until round one of car issues.

Sorry about all your drama. But it sort of seems like there was not a lot of forward thinking here. It looks like it was all reactive, impulsive thinking.

Maybe, but when one is digging themselves out of one tragedy when another hits, that forward thinking is hard. I remember I was once dealing with some fairly large medical bills and was asking my mom for help...this was years ago...and her reply was "why don't you have anything in savings?" and my reply was because the bills i have, even totally stripped down after dropping some car insurance add ons, cable, etc were still about $150 more per month than I was making, it sort of answered why I was not putting money into savings.

Okay, ask about re qualifying wages for getting unemployment benefits, you may be eligible if you make six times benefit amount in covered employment, so, get any job, fast food, CNA work, daycare, whatever, right away, this means, hit the ground running Monday, get any job, and save those check stubs. It needs to be a job that pays unemployment insurance, so, you can keep this part time gig, while looking for something better, and re open your Unemployment claim... You can work part time, and still be eligible.

Sorry, but super rotten advice. OP has no reason to think she will not get UI from the current job and taking ANY job makes your UI claim that much harder.

You can go apply for food stamps, the first month, there is no verification, for ongoing EBT, you need to send in your verifications, but if you go in, fill out paperwork, state zero income, you are automatically eligible for max for one month.

Good luck.

Wow...usually this board is pretty nice to TWIS, what the heck? I mean, seriously, TWIS has even called me out a few times about being terrible and I am still able to see the reality in her situation....

Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
if you are a fairly fast biker, and you are riding on a nice flat grade, riding a bike 60 miles takes about 6 hours. and you'd have to be pretty fit and train for a while to do that at that speed, all in one day on variable terrain, on a less than optimal bike (an optimal bike would cost thousands of dollars). i guess you think the OP is lance armstrong? and you know, after you bike 60 miles you just rinse your sweaty, grubby, helmet-headed self off in the sink, sleep under the desk, and be all nice and presentable for work the next day?

and i have never worked at a job where it would be ok to SLEEP THERE. that is totally insane. they even have beds where i work, but if i slept here i'd be fired.
I *think* my boss MIGHT allow us to sleep at the office, but he would not be happy. And I work for the most easygoing people ever.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,361,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Don't be silly.

I would ride my bike to the office, one way and stay there for the night. Lots people in my current company work long hours and often over night. It's totally cool. She can stay there for a day or two until she finds a place close by to live. She can sleep in an empty office place and get up long before everybody gets in. Why would her boss have any problem with that as long as she is not snoring when the boss walks in?

Not everyone can sleep at their office. I'd say the majority can not do that. I can think of several issues the boss would have with that. Security, for one.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:

It's very hard to believe that one must take the 60 miles ride but if it comes to it, why not? It's a one time ride. There are so many options. Can't believe she has no friends whatsoever or public transportation to get her closer after hours. Nada.

Come on. Where do you live? Afghanistan? Even there you have donkey carts that you can ride.

She doesn't need the job, I guess. If she does, she would do what it takes.

By the way, I have never worked in a place where you can't stay in the office over night a few times.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not everyone can sleep at their office. I'd say the majority can not do that. I can think of several issues the boss would have with that. Security, for one.
You can ask, can't you? "Hi boss, I don't want to be late again. I live too far away and my car broke. Can I stay in the office after hours for two or maybe 3 nights? I'll find a place close by."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment